Hacking How to repair broken ribbon cable?

modmanwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I broke my ribbon cable opening my wii. The peice on the end of the ribbon itself is gone, so all I have left is the flat ribbon. My wii works fine when i slide the ribbon in and tape it down nicely. But this comes undone rather quickly. Im trying to think of a permanent fix..

I was thinking of taping it down really well and then hotgluing it in?

Or maybe jamming some paper or cardboard in the slit above the ribbon to keep it down then tape it down

Anyone know of any better ideas? Any feedback for these?

I got my wiikey installed and working, now I just want my wii to work 24/7

wink2.gif

Dylanwhat

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I doubt that Nintendo uses a proprietary clip. You might want to take it to an electronics shop and see what they say. If it's a common clip you can probably just get a new brown piece and clip it in. Where do you live?

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
those kinds of cables are often used in laptops. i'm not sure how many pins the wii cable has, but you might be able to go to a computer shop that has some old, busted laptops they might let you try to salvage one from. i've seen them on keyboards, lcds, and touchpads most commonly, but some laptops use them for power buttons and other things as well. i imagine if you find one that is a bit too wide (too many wires), you could just trim it a bit. just a thought.

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you broke the cable housing, then you have the easy way, and the correct way.

Easy way: line up the ribbon in its socket, press down, hot glue, hope it keeps contact.

Correct way: buy a replacement FFC (flat flex cable) housing and replace the connector. I don't know off hand how many pins in that connector, but here is a push in the right direction.

I broke the clip from a PS2 controller cable once, and had to replace the 36-pin housing. It's another job not for the inexperienced.

starduck

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm not sure to understand how you broke the ribbon. The ribbon is flat and has always been that way, there's nothing at the tip of it? You just slide the ribbon in the connector and then close the "lid" of the connector?

modmanwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so the ribbon doesnt have a peice at the end of it? I just broke the clip that clamps down on the ribbon?

modmanwii

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmmm

so does the ribbon need to make contact on the bottom or the top? I notice pins on the top too I think on the wii board..

Just trying to figure out my best chance of gluing this sucker down and hoping to god it works...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end