Hacking How to recover the save for a game after i fomatted a 3ds

CaraQualquer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I formatted my friend's 3ds because it was having some problems and now i want to recover the save, i have a backup of all that was in the sd previously including the .sav file.
I too have the movable.sed of the 3ds from before the formatation.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hey @TurdPooCharger could you possibly please tell OP how to use moveable.sed to get saves from a Nintendo 3DS folder? I am not sure how to
He didn't log in since the 15th December. Probably busy.

I played around with the problem this morning for a bit but unfortunately had no success. All I got was "The save has been corrupted and will be deleted." although it was not a game using Anti-Save-Restore "feature".

I can't spent more time on this now (a lot of work to do in real life) but will come back to this eventually if nobody else has an idea.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can get your moveable.sed from a nand dump and through godmode or the recovery app by @Joel16 . with a nand dump, you just need to search for SEED. that will be the moveable.sed for so many bytes. I don't know what the process is to use it, but just sayin' that there are many ways to get it just in case someone's system decides to die or something. ;)

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You basically need more than just the movable, you need the whole SysNAND dump... TurdPoo helped me out with a similar case involving different-3DS-decrypting, but it was more about games as a whole, not just saves: https://gbatemp.net/threads/question-about-encrypting-decrypting-sd-card-files.518912/#post-8296647

But yeah, better to just start over on the save, less hassle and danger of bricking since that method involved CTRTransfering the first 3DS's NAND to the second, then back, which is fairly risky to say the least if you don't know what you are doing:P If you happen to have the whole NAND dump, it MIGHT be possible to decrypt the file, but still will probably show up corrupted... If it's only one game, it's just better to restart it on a new save and save yourself the trouble.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It worked.
Having movable.sed and SD:/Nintendo 3DS from before formatting is sufficient for restoring saves using GodMode9 only. Maybe there is some obvious, much easier and straightforward way and I'm making a fool of myself… I only found a tedious method.

Don't hold me responsible for any further damage. I wrote this to the best of my knowledge… but no warranties!

My test conditions:
  • Formatted my test console with no SD inserted and kept the previous movable.sed
    • This leaves all encrypted game and save data intact but unusable – obviously
    • But I still have the encryption key at hand…
  • Reinstalled two small, previously installed games.
  • Successfully injected the saves from before formatting.
====================

I really do not feel like typing it all out at the moment with screenshots but I will try explain the process roughly. If you really need more help, screenshots, step-by-step guide… just tell me. I will elaborate on this if needed. For now (already much text):
  1. Backup your current movable.sedif you do not do this you will get what you deserve.
    • I very much recommend creating a full NAND image of the current status in case something goes wrong or you make some bad mistake (like I did). Better safe than sorry.
    • The injecting back and forth needs a good amount of concentration and time.
  2. Inject movable.sed (old, before formatting) right into CTRNAND.
  3. Turn off the console and insert an SD containing the complete “Nintendo 3DS” folder from before the formatting.
    • Start GodMode9, go to [A:] SYSNAND SD, press (R)+(A) → Search for titles
    • For each title where you want to salvage the save, go to the data folder. (Example: A:/title/00040000/00054000/data for Super Mario 3D Land (USA) )
    • Copy the 00000001.sav to some location that contains name and/or titleID in order to ensure you still know which file goes where.
  4. Inject movable.sed (new, after formatting) into CTRNAND
  5. Turn off the console and insert the SD containing your current setup (from after the console formatting)
    • I assume the games in question are already installed on the new setup. Else: Install them now.
    • Start GodMode9 and inject each save file in the corresponding location. This will – of course – overwrite the current status. If you care for the current status as well, backup with JKSM/Checkpoint before doing any injections.
    • Once your are done placing 00000001.sav files in their locations go to the drive list (where GodMode9 starts). Select [A:] SYSNAND SD, press (R)+(A) and select Fix CMACs for drive. Without fixing CMACs the games will not accept the injected files.
  6. Reboot into the main OS. The games should have their saves restored. Games using Anti-Savegame-Restore might still delete their progress. If I remember corretly deleting 1:/data/<ID0>/sysdata/00010011/00000000 solves this problem.
====================

For the future: Backup your saves from time to time with Checkpoint and/or JKSM and store the backup on multiple locations (SDs can suddenly die/corrupt for no reason). Having decrypted backups with the savemanager(s) reduced all this work above to:
[…]You can restore a savegame with checkpoint.
↑↑↑↑↑
This is how it should have been!

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is probably not going to help @CaraQualquer if he has solved or moved on at this point, but I'll leave this here for future readers who run into this problem.

If you kept a copy of your Nintendo 3DS folder, performed a Format System Memory, and the 3DS system you're using did not receive its library of games from a System Transfer, you can fix or roll back the encryption between the movable.sed KeyY and Nintendo 3DS/<ID0> with CTRTransfer (Type D9) - Fix movable.sed KeyY.

However, if the Nintendo 3DS folder was System Transferred to that (target) 3DS console, you might need to look for someone who added you to their Friends List so that (s)he can dump your LFCS info for bruteforce 0x30 KeyY reconstruction.

See the 'Step 10. Last chance.' in regards to LFCS → KeyY recovery.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Reactions: ThoD

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.