Tutorial  Updated

How to recover from a partial downgrade/Frankenfirmware without other exploits

Basically a partial downgrade/FrankenFirmware is when you get an error during the downgrade process using safesystemupdater. You can still get to the home menu but accessing the internet browser or system menu will cause the system to lock up.

1.Make sure you can start games, if you can't start games anymore your only options are this tutorial http://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-re...mware-w-o-upgrading-to-10-3-or-higher.413368/ or using system recovery to update to the latest official firmware, you lose all access to HB/CFW but at least your 3DS works like normal again

2.Find a game that comes with a higher firmware than your native firmware and at least higher than 9.2 (http://www.3dsdb.com/) The native firmware is the firmware you started the downgrade process from. I recommend either Bravely Second or the latest Fire Emblem. These come with 10.3 and I've heard that downgrading from 10.3 has a higher chance of success. These are both great games so if for some reason it does not work you have something to play when you system recover or to sell when it does, since they have a high resale value being recent releases.

If you started the downgrade process from 10.3 already you might be lucky and the partial downgrade might've gone far enough that the 3DS thinks it is actually on 9.2, this way any game above 9.2 will work

3.Start the game and you will get a prompt asking you to install an update, accept it and once it is done your 3DS will be back to normal and ready for another downgrade attempt.

Last edited by Juugetsu,
Reactions: leerz

Logan Pockrus

Knawledge is key.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say, though, that if you can manage to access the Homebrew Launcher it may be advisable to try to use (safe)sysUpdater on your frankenfirmware to try to escape (I read that somewhere credible...right here on the 'temp).

It may be dangerous, so if you end up bricking your system doing this don't say I didn't warn you...but it shouldn't brick.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ubisoft should #stopkillinggames ngl
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    sony should #stopkillinggames
  • Badcatalex @ Badcatalex:
    they killed LittleBigPlanet online, which was the main core of every LBP game
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    for real
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    at least with them, it was because of the DDOS attacks, ubisoft was just scummy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?