How to record from my PS3 to my Laptop

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What would I need to record a direct feed from my PS3 to my laptop? The lappy has an HDMI port, but I think its output only. What I'm wanting to accomplish is making a demo video that I can make a commentary on by recording using my microphone. I guess I need to know if any equipment is involved, and what software I might need.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You'd need a video capture card, with the correct type of port on it to receive video. If you want to record HD video, it'd need to have an HDMI port obviously. The correct software for recording video should be provided with a video capture card.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
If you get an EasyCap and the PS3 S-Video cables you could do it through USB, just remember to get something like this and plug it into your line in for the audio, because the EasyCap audio is pretty shitty. Might be able to find something like an easycap that takes Component cables for a better image.

Something that'll record in HD will usually cost a lot more though.

For software, VirtualDub is all you'll need for viewing and recording.

vvvvvv from what I've heard the EasyCap has pretty low latency. I think Gaisuto has one so you might want to ask him. I've heard good things about the DVD EZMaker USB Gold, but it's almost 5 times the price of an EasyCap. The Encore Electronics ENMVG is apparently a pretty good compromise, better than the EasyCap but not as expensive as the DVD EZMaker USB Gold.

MarcusRaven

HBC Theme Maker
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, my plan was to record video and have my microphone plugged in for the audio. I don't need sound from the game in the video. (I could, but I would need some video editing software to lower the game audio volume in parts.) I guess I'm going to wait until I get a better computer, because my wife's laptop is a bit lacking. Its a Toshiba Satellite T135D. Bought at Wal-Mart.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
My friend uses an EasyCap to record all of his gameplay (Cpl ManBearPig on youtube if you want to check it out. Try to view his own personal gameplay videos to ensure it is EasyCap). It isn't awful really, but there is a noticeable difference even from just plain 'ol component cables to EasyCap quality.

If you want the best quality, the HD PVR is top of the line. It doesn't get better for the price.

There is the Dazzle that is the middle line. It is definitely lower quality than the HD PVR, but higher than the EasyCap. Only the HD PVR out of the three can actually record in HD as far as I'm aware.

These are all USB capture cards, but they are the most widely used. If you look at CoD montages from places such as Machinima and Hazard Cinemas, they generally use the HD PVR. It is a very high quality USB capture card that is fantastic once set up.

jargus

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You cannot record a PS3 through HDMI. Its is HDCP encrypted. You will need a composite or component capture card. HDPVR and Avertv HD DVR are the best for component. Easycap is good since it can be used in a variety of programs with no latency. If you split a composite to tv and your computer go with a dazzle.

http://www.avermedia-usa.com/avertv/produc...mp;tab=APDriver
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/P...corder+Plus.htm
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5707

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1