How to recompile a SDAT file ?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Shuny, Aug 24, 2007.

Aug 24, 2007

How to recompile a SDAT file ? by Shuny at 2:39 PM (1,311 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Shuny
    OP

Member Shuny I'm in yr forum, reading yr postz

France
    Hello,

I'm modding my Gyakuten Saiban 3 (because old musics were REALLY better) but I have no idea how to recompile the entire sound_data folder into an sound_data.sdat file :/

Any idea or tool ?

Thank you [​IMG]

Shuny

2. Shuny
    OP

France
    17 views and 0 replies :'(

3. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
  4. Shuny
    OP

France
    Hum ... Kinda hard. I'll see this later, thank you [​IMG]

5. Shuny
    OP

France
    I think I'm not good enough to understand the SDAT format [​IMG] Maybe you could make a step-by-step tutorial ? [​IMG] It would be really interesting [​IMG]

6. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    Please make a tutorial/Wiki, fast, because I rarely am able to get music out of a game. There's a lot of great music that has come out these recent generations of portable gaming devices. (The chiptunes for GB/GBC have been a blast for me so far! I recommend that people go back and listen to those, too.)

7. Shuny
    OP

France
    You're looking how to extract music from a rom ? I can do the tutorial, if you want, but because the extracted file are MIDI files, you'll need a good sound-card to be able to listen these correctly.

8. leetdude_007

Member leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

United States
    A ROM in general? That would be awesome. If it's an NDS ROM, I suspect that there will be somebody in this scene that will be able to come up with a high quality solution for the MIDI "issue".

Another edit: I don't know jack-squat.

9. Shuny
    OP

France
    MIDI files works perfectly but without a real sound card you'll not be able to listen to these correctly. The solution would be a player that convert the MIDI file on-the-fly using it's own instrument database.

10. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    IF you want a quick conversion nintendon's ndssndext is what you want:
    http://nintendon.s6.xrea.com/
    (second link down on the left or "??????")

I have a fair bit going on right now so here is a guide as quick and dirty as it comes:
    At the start of the sdat file and you will see a list of ASCII (these are the file names), copy and paste into something (excel works for me).
    Search for FAT (in ascii) and following that will be a list of hex numbers do a 32bit byte flip (ABCD becomes DCBA) and that is the offset of the files, the (probably 4 hex digit) number following it is the length of the file (it is not the same as the next offset minus the current one as there is padding).
    Place this number list against the file names (why I said excel earlier) and you have a nice map of the sound file.
    You could try overwriting what you want changed with the new file if it is smaller than the padded section (the padding can sometimes be a nice bit of extra space).

Or you can repoint to the end of the file
    The value at 8 (hex) going for 4 bytes is the length of the soundfile, change this and you can now expand and add onto the end of the file.
    I rather stupidly forgot the extra space details last time but they are all detailed here:
    http://tahaxan.arcnor.com/index.php?option...id=38&Itemid=36
    You will have to change the FILE one for simple stuff like this.

11. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Which old music was better? You mean the one from the GBA-version? I thought it was the same...

12. warmijwilfaain

Member warmijwilfaain War Mage MILF

United Kingdom
    Errrrrrrrrmmmm... What I think he meant was Gyakuten Saiban 1 DS and 2 DS' music was better than Gyakuten Saiban 3 DS' music [​IMG]
    Also, I'm planning to transfer the music of the GS4 game over to GS3. So, if anyone could tell me how to recompile the Sound_Data.sdat file, then that would be awesome [​IMG] [​IMG]