How to read/write saves from original DS carts

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by schweizter, Apr 26, 2007.

1. schweizter
    OP

Newcomer schweizter Member

United States
    How can I read/write saves to original DS carts?
    I currently have an M3 and an R4 slot 1 carts, but would like to be able to read and write saves of original carts.
    Is there some kind of program I can run from my M3 or R4 (I believe hearing once that action replay could read and write saves), or would I have to buy something?
    If I have to buy something, how much would that cost? Thanks!

2. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Only 2 relevant save programs i can think of are:

Rein & Eepinator

Rein only works with slot 2 carts (and not all)

Eepinator is DLDI patchable, but i am not sure if it works for slot one carts. And I'm sure if it does it doesn't work with all slot one carts (those which react when inserted)

3. schweizter
    OP

United States
    well could I use my R4 to boot one of the compatible slot 2 cards and then use that on original games?
    What slot 2 cards work for sure and what is their cost? Thanks!

4. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    99% sure M3 and G6 Lite work with Rein. They're on the higher range of the price spectrum.

5. freakygeeky

Newcomer freakygeeky Member

United States
    An Action Reply Max Duo will do what you ask. I used one to transfer all of my saves from my retail carts when I bought my DS-X.

6. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    hmm, i know rein works with supercard lite and ez4 (albeit an unofficial build) i don't really know the current prices, just google it or look under the reccomended sellers here at gbatemp forums.

If your'e not particularly interested in the features of a slot 2 cart, (basically older homebrew and gba) i wouldn't get one.

if thats the case, check out this topic for more wwpnaotr info, which may tell you whether it works with your cart - http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=12848&start=0

Otherwise it might be best to get the action replay device as the other posters have said, although i have no experience with it and am taking their word that it will backup saves.

Just make sure you research anything thorughly before making a purchase. you wanna know what you're paying for!

7. c0rderr0y

Newcomer c0rderr0y Member

United States
    Thats what I use [​IMG]

8. schweizter
    OP

United States
    Well I kind of want to be able to play GBA games.
    modchipstore.com has a DS lite M3 MicroSD slot 2 adapter with a passcard for cheaper then one without a passcard. Can I just not use the passcard and use my R4's boot slot 2 option?
    Will that M3 adapter work with the save backup and restore tool?
    If you do not know what product I am referring to, I will post the link when I have access to a computer (I am using my smartphone which has no copy/paste ability)

9. dbgtdob

Member dbgtdob GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    yes the R4 can boot M3 slot 2, its the icon next to the multimedia player on the far right when you turn your ds on, and yes the M3 is a little better then the ez flash iv, (i have a ez flash iv), the M3 is flush and has rtc (real time clock) for pokemon games so the events work, not to mention it comes with shells so you can change the color to what you want.

10. schweizter
    OP

United States
  11. Mewgia

Member Mewgia drifter

United States
    Do not get Pro. You cannot play GBA games larger than 4MBs, wich basically means no gba for you.

Get the M3 Lite Perfect, NOT the pro.