how to put parts of roms together using winrar?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by andytr, Dec 26, 2013.

1. andytr
    OP

andytr Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2013
    could anyone please tell me how to do the above?

I have just got a r4i 3ds deluxe card which I have managed to set up ok ( I used to have a r4 card for ds but am very rusty)

I am struggling to find roms to download that are in 1 complete file and instead have many parts that need putting together as one.

I have looked into doing this and found a site saying that I can go into WinRAR, highlight all the rar files and click extract to make 1 file. I have tried this but there seem to be other parts of the file (ie r41 file) aswell as the rar files. do I highlight these aswell or just the rar files?

thanks

2. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Simply open .rar file (not parts such as r41) and extract. No need to highlight all.

3. andytr
    OP

andytr Member

Newcomer
    Dec 6, 2013
    excellent!!

thanks that's much easier

4. Chaldron

Chaldron GBATemp's Official Attorney

Mar 29, 2013
    United States
    `Murica
    If they are like .rar, .rar00, .rar01, etc you can just open the first one (.rar) and extract. WinRar will take care of the rest.

5. Kakkoii

Kakkoii Old fart

Sep 14, 2007
    Canada
    And if there is no .rar extension on any of them, and it's just numbers like .001, .002, etc... You need to use something like HJSplit to join them.

6. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    While the guy above me is right, I've only ever seen that once in my life (and solved it without any external programs using copy /b), and it's probably rare enough that you can just delete it and get the same rom from a different source. Also, for reference, 7zip can open these split rar files as well by just attempting to extract the single .rar file.

7. inuyasha555

inuyasha555 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 10, 2013
    Canada
    Sometimes its possible to change the first file to .rar and then when it asks for the next file just choose whatever one is next in line.

8. mattrunks

mattrunks Advanced Member

Banned
    Nov 20, 2013
    the easiest thing to do is to just select all the files via dragging the mouse and right clicking extract all

9. pwsincd

pwsincd Garage Flower

GBAtemp Patron
    pwsincd is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 4, 2011
    Manchester UK
    all ya gotta do is right click any of the rars and select extract here... no need to highlight all of them.

10. justinkb

justinkb GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 7, 2012
    Netherlands
    This is certainly not the place to ask this question.