How to put a movie/music/photo into my ps3

Discussion in 'PS3 - Games & Content' started by fancysky016, Mar 8, 2011.

Mar 8, 2011
  1. fancysky016
    OP

Newcomer fancysky016 Advanced Member

United States
    Firstly, my PS3 still in version 3.4X, unhacked. (if this matters)

well, i am new to ps3, currently only playing games. (Black ops, uncharted 2, PES2011, GT5)

so anybody can let me how to transfer movie/music/photo files into the internal drive of my PS3? Then i can at least watch some xxxx movies while i am tired of playing games, or fully utilize my PS3.

I got wifi at home, also a portable drive. (but last time i tried to connect my drive with PS3, nothing happend. or i don't know what should happened.)

thanks in advance.

Also please let me know what kind of file format will be great.

An Update:

I found a 1GB USB disk, and format that into FAT32. Then created three folders: MUSIC, PHOTO, MOVIE, (in upper case) then put files respectively into the folder. Then the XMB recognise the drive. Press the Triangle button on PS3 controller to see all the files into the usb drive, and you can play them on PS3.

Music files better be in MP3 format. Photos in JPG, Movies i am not sure yet, one of my AVI works, the MPEG not..

2. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    There's a folder for that, "ps3_home". Inside is a "music", "photo" and "video" folder. Either use a file editor (like the one built into Multiman) to copy from USB devices, or use FTP (e.g. BlackBox and FileZilla).

EDIT: See the below post.

3. fancysky016
    OP

United States
    thanks man, how can i get to that "ps3_home" folder????????

use PS3 to connect with my PC via wifi??

If for FTP, how to set up?

4. Originality

United Kingdom
    If you use a file editor, it'll be one of the first folders you see (along with hdd0 and hdd1, which are needed for games). That said, the same applies for FTP - once you connect, it'll be one of the first folders you see.

To set up FTP on PS3, you need a FTP server running on the PS3. The server should tell you it's IP and port. Then you need a FTP client on your PC (like FileZilla). Enter the username, password, IP and port of the server you're trying to connect to (the user/pass depends on which server you used, and will be mentioned in the instructions that come with the homebrew .pkg file). Once it connects, you'll see the PS3 folders on the right hand side. Use the PC directory on the left hand side to find the files you want to copy, select them, then find the right location on the PS3 side for where to put the files. Then r-click and select "Upload".

Word of warning, USB is faster. I got a 2MBs transfer rate (doing 2 files at a time), but USB can do around 20MBs. Then again, my external USB is formatted as FAT32 so I can't copy over files bigger than 4GB without splitting them. NTFS support now exists, but I've never felt the need for it and it's read-only (i.e. you can use it to copy files onto the internal, but you can't copy internal files onto the external).

EDIT: I just re-read, and noticed the "unhacked" part. FTP and file managers won't work. Instead, just put them on USB and you should see the icon appear in the relevant sections on the XMB (photo, music, video). If it recognises the format, you can load it directly from the USB. I think there's also a way to copy it to the internal via the XMB, but I don't know since I've got computers and laptops that are better for storing my multimedia than my PS3.

5. fancysky016
    OP

United States

6. fancysky016
    OP

United States

7. Originality

United Kingdom
    You could just stream it to the PS3. My brother set it up to stream Family Guy to the PS3, which was connected to the big TV at the time. I didn't ask/care how, since I don't like Family Guy and holed myself in my room to play Mass Effect 2 with headphones on instead.

8. cacildo

Member cacildo Went and came back

Bahamas, The
    Funny enough, i have this same kind of questions:

IM at Kmeaw 3.55
    I use FTP on a regular basis

1) One year ago i plugged in a removable flash drive with 3 MP3. The XMB recognized em and i copied all three to the internal HDD. Now i just cant do it again. The system fails to recognize any MP3 in any flash drive. Do that happens to other people?

2) I tried to send some MP3 using FTP to the hdd0\music folder. The music is there but the XMB wont recognize it. Do i have to put in some kind of specific folder?

3) And what about videos and FTP? Do that high def format (Mkv?) works?

9. Originality

United Kingdom
    I doubt Matrovska will work with PS3 - it's an advanced wrapper (meaning the video and audio codecs can be pretty much anything) that has not received much support outside of PC. TVs are starting to support it, but most still don't.

For the rest of the questions... I don't know. Try a google search.

10. fancysky016
    OP

United States
    It's this because the PS3 disallow all USB external connection for 3.55 version???

11. cacildo

Member cacildo Went and came back

Bahamas, The

Nope. Any JPGs i have in the USB flash drive get to be recognized. I can even copy any picture for the internal HDD

This only happens with MP3

12. fancysky016
    OP

United States

try some different mp3 files then...

13. Originality

United Kingdom
    As it so happens, the OP did work it out. On your USB (presumably formatted to FAT32), create MUSIC, PHOTO and VIDEO folders and put your files in there. PS3 should automatically detect them in the relevant sections of the XMB. After that you can either play them, or copy them over.

i.e USB external connections are allowed on 3.55, they probably just don't allow HID based devices anymore.

14. fancysky016
    OP

United States
    i googled earlier, it is saying no need for the folders..

anyway, just go to XMB, and do press the triangle button, then you can see all media files in the USB.

also Originality, he meant he can find the jpeg file, but cannot play the mp3 file. weird..

my suggestion is change the music file..