How to protect my wii from bricking, or recover from a brick?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Enjoi2900, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Enjoi2900
    OP

Newcomer Enjoi2900 Newbie

United States
    Ok, I have system menu 4.0, hbc installed, lu32 wii. I have bootmii installed as boot2, but on startup, I can not access the bootmii menu to backup my nand. I believe that it is an issue with my sd card compatibility. I am using a Lexar 1gb micro sd with adapter. I was wondering if there is anything else that I can install onto my wii to recover it if it bricks up in anyway. I am looking for anything that wiil help me recover from a brick, or be able to reset my system menu after a brick. The only thing that I know about is bootmii which I can not use until i get a new sd card. Any ideas will help. Thanks.

EDIT** I think that I can install the earlier version of BootMii (Public Beta 1) and it will work with my sd card, but is it compatible with system menu 4.0, or is there a better solution.

2. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Bootmii is the best anti-brick available. If your card doesn't work with it, get another card. Then run Hackmii installer->Bootmii->Prepare SD card to put the files on it.

You can use preloader, but that won't unbrick a wii that had its system menu (or menu IOS) uninstalled. You need bootmii for that. Preloader is good for theme and banner bricks though, if you can't use bootmii.

3. TRushInfo

Banned TRushInfo Banned

United States
    do you have the bootmii folder in your SD Root? It is needed to make bootmii start up first
    another way to get to it is to goto HBC and hit home and goto bootmii.

4. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The bootmii files still need to be on the SD card for that option to work in HBC. The option is meant for people who can only install as an IOS. Don't think the choice works (or even shows up) if installed as boot2. Doesn't on my friend's wii (he has it as boot2)

5. Golfje

Member Golfje GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I have succesfull installed bootmii and made a backup of the nand... But i skipped the step prepare sd card. If i check the sd card there is a bootmii folder with 3 files and a nand.bin file... Is this good ??

6. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    That's the same as with me. I just cut those 3 files and the folder and put them on my PC.

7. Enjoi2900
    OP

Newcomer Enjoi2900 Newbie

United States
    I got it worked out, it turns out my sd card wasnt compatible with bootmii. I went out and bought a new one today and was able to run bootmii and make a nand backup.

Those three files are what runs bootmii on startup I believe, you want those to be on your sd card.