Homebrew How to play PS1 games on your DS(i) (DSTWO required)

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IMG_20201104_033233_658.jpg IMG_20201104_034041_592.jpg

Yep, you read correctly! It is indeed possible to run Playstation games on your DS or DSi console!
In fact, it's been possible for years, and there's no easy guide on how to do so! Well, I'm going to fix that!

You'll need
  • A Nintendo DS or DSi console (New 3DS/2DS users should stick to RetroArch's PCSX core.)
  • A SuperCard DSTWO flashcard (Regular or Plus version will work)
  • A microSD card for your flashcard
  • A PS1 BIOS, named "SCPH1001.BIN" (Please do not ask where to get it.)
Some things to note
  • There will be no sound
  • Games may run slow
  • While some games work without the BIOS, other games will require it, in order for them to work correctly.
Instructions
  1. Download this starter pack, which includes a modified/improved version of psx4all.
  2. Extract the pack to the microSD root.
  3. Place games in "/LOCAL/PS/Roms/".
  4. Place "SCPH1001.BIN" in "/LOCAL/PS/".
  5. Put the microSD card in your flashcard.
  6. Launch the dstwoLinux plugin with your preferred plugin launcher.
  7. Select your game, and enjoy!
  8. To exit out of a game, hold SELECT+X.
Credits
  • Special thanks to @VatoLoco for creating a dsTwoLinux pack with PicoDrive, and @Indy13 for providing a backup, which I grabbed a few files from.

Last edited by RocketRobz,

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is incredibly misleading

When the DSTWO was the de facto flashcart, any homebrew that required it was marked as such. This isn't native DS homebrew.
Already reported for the mods to fix the title. :P

EDIT: And it's fixed!

Last edited by RocketRobz,

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The starter pack has been updated to remove unneeded files! The plugin will now directly boot to psx4all!
If you installed the pack before the update, just delete "LOCAL", install the updated pack, and rename "GAME" to "LOCAL".

Special thanks to @VatoLoco for creating a dsTwoLinux pack with PicoDrive, and @Indy13 for providing a backup, which I grabbed a few files from.

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I just tested this 2011 version of PSX4ALL which is in this pack, maybe I'm wrong but it seems that this version runs slightly faster than the 2009 version, that's a very good point!

For the installation, since I had already installed the 2009 version, I just changed the executable file named "psx4all" keeping the old files from the 2009 version, I didn't have a crash, it works well.

On the other hand, you still have to go through the settings box to solve some glitches problems (which already existed in the 2009 version), I put here the things to change in the graphics settings :

Show FPS : OFF
Set NULL GPU : ON
Cycle Multiplier : 4

Thanks to @Robz8 and @VatoLoco for their work and for taking the good initiative to update DSTwo (+)

A little off topic suggestion: An FBA autoboot would be cool because unlike FBA4DSTWO, the Dingoo version of FBA allows you to play the CPS2 fullset and some CAVE games.

@Robz8
if you want other files or emulators for DSTwo Linux, don't hesitate to pm me, if I have this in my archives, I will share with pleasure ;)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

If only a MD/genesis emulator was ported for the DStwo, we would have a full speed,sound and fullscreen emulator.

Picodrive for Dingoo can do the job for cartridge games, there are no sound and music issues, only for mega-cd games the music does not work.

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I remember using this frequently back in 2013. But from 2014 onwards each time I tried to boot up Linux the loading bar would freeze halfway. I tried reinstalling Linux but it was persistent. I don't know what happened but I can't get into Linux now.

Reactions: Alexander1970

Indy13

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I remember using this frequently back in 2013. But from 2014 onwards each time I tried to boot up Linux the loading bar would freeze halfway. I tried reinstalling Linux but it was persistent. I don't know what happened but I can't get into Linux now.

Maybe the cause of the problem could be a corruption of the dmenu.ini file

To fix the problem, if you still have the dstwo linux archive in .rar format when you downloaded it from the site (here on GBATemp), I advise you to re-extract all the contents of the "dmenu" directory which is in the "LOCAL" directory.

In this "dmenu" directory you will find a "dmenu.ini" file, you copy it and you replace your old "dmenu.ini" file with this copy.

Then in this same "dmenu" directory, you will also find a directory called "backup" which also contains a "dmenu.ini" file.

As for the other file, you make a copy of this "dmenu.ini" file which is located in the "backup" directory and you replace your old file with this new copy.

If after changing these two "dmenu.ini" files it still doesn't work, try copying the whole "dmenu" directory and replacing your old "dmenu" directory with a copy directly from the archive you downloaded here at the base before installing dstwo linux on your micro sd

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe the cause of the problem could be a corruption of the dmenu.ini file

To fix the problem, if you still have the dstwo linux archive in .rar format when you downloaded it from the site (here on GBATemp), I advise you to re-extract all the contents of the "dmenu" directory which is in the "LOCAL" directory.

In this "dmenu" directory you will find a "dmenu.ini" file, you copy it and you replace your old "dmenu.ini" file with this copy.

Then in this same "dmenu" directory, you will also find a directory called "backup" which also contains a "dmenu.ini" file.

As for the other file, you make a copy of this "dmenu.ini" file which is located in the "backup" directory and you replace your old file with this new copy.

If after changing these two "dmenu.ini" files it still doesn't work, try copying the whole "dmenu" directory and replacing your old "dmenu" directory with a copy directly from the archive you downloaded here at the base before installing dstwo linux on your micro sd
Thanks! I replace the entire dmenu folder from the ismartlinux rar file and it now works.

Hello1236

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Loading what up? The emulator, or the game?
Basically the emulator. I ordered a DS Two online and for some reason loading up the DStwo Linux leads to a black screen.
Post automatically merged:

Ahh I really want to try this, but why am I getting a black screen when loading this up?

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically the emulator. I ordered a DS Two online and for some reason loading up the DStwo Linux leads to a black screen.
Post automatically merged:

Ahh I really want to try this, but why am I getting a black screen when loading this up?
Try pressing Up or Down to make something appear.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Push it :creep: