[How to] Play Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon in your native language (FR,DE,IT,ES)

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Traiver, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    Hey gbatemp!

While extracting the game, I found out that the english version has multilanguage included, so there is no need to wait until 2016 for the european version! This works with italian, spain, german and francais.

English is not my native language, so I hope you can understand all.

I want to show you how to play Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon in your native language (with your english copy of the game)

First of all, you must decrypt and extract your game, a tutorial for it can be found here:

3DS Version

http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decrypt-extract-rebuild-3ds-roms-run-xy-oras-without-update.383055/

CIA Version

http://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-decrypt-extract-and-rebuild-a-cia.388677/

If your game is already or now extracted, we can start.

I will show you how this works with the German version but its the same process with other languages.

1. Enter the "romfs" folder of the game. There are some folders named "message_en, fr, ge, it, sp".

2. Copy all inside the "message_ge" folder and paste it into the "message_en" folder and overwrite all.

3. Now scroll down to the "bin" and "MASM Listing" files inside the romfs folder.

4. Now copy the "message_debug_ge.bin" and "message_debug_ge.lst" file and paste it to your desktop or somewhere else. (Dont cut the files out!)

5. Rename BOTH files to "message_debug_en.bin" and "message_debug_en.lst" and copy the files back to the romfs folder and overwrite the original ones. Rename the files from your desktop then to "message_debug_us.bin" and "message_debug_us.lst" and overwrite the original ones inside the romfs folder, too.

6. Do the same with the files named "message_ge.bin" and "message_ge.lst". (Step 4 and 5)

7. Now copy the file "name_sort_ge.bin" and paste it to your desktop. Rename it to "name_sort_us.bin" and replace the file in your romfs folder.

8. Last but not least, head into the "script" folder inside the romfs folder, there is a file named "script_flow_data_ge.bin". Copy that file to your desktop and rename the file to "script_flow_data_us.bin" Then paste it back to the script folder and overwrite the old one.

9. Thats it! Now you can rebuild your 3DS or CIA rom. Your game starts now in german! (All steps are the same for other languages, only copy your language file instead of the GE one.)

Important: Rebuild your 3DS or CIA rom as Card1 game, otherwise it wont work!

Video

If you need help with anything, feel free to ask!

Last edited by Traiver, Dec 3, 2015

2. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    Wouldn't it just be possible to run it with a desired language through HANS?

3. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    Well... I can't say that but you can try it. Otherwise follow this steps :) Its very easy.

XRaidersP likes this.
  4. Lycanroc

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    I don't own the game, but if someone who does see this, can they confirm if changing the language with HANS works?

5. Keizel

Keizel GBAtemp Fan

Jun 28, 2015
    Thanks for the simplified tutorial!

Traiver likes this.
  6. Binebina87

Binebina87 GBAtemp Regular

May 27, 2013
    Gambia, The
    Thanks for your efforts :-)

I'm playing the German Version and was wondering if theres a way to change the Pokemon names (in the name tags and connection orb) to German too, because they are still in English?

7. GamingAori

GamingAori GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 16, 2014
    Gambia, The
    yeah not all things are in german and have few bugs. but is awesome

8. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    Thats an easy going thing. You only need the extracted game for it, searching for the Orb translation part, translate the names and rebuild the rom.

XRaidersP likes this.
  9. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    hmm nice!
    hey tell me, these text are easly editable? I mean, if I want to make an translation ...

10. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    Yes, the whole text can be showed in HxD, but you can edit the text with Notepad+

XRaidersP and Sliter like this.
  11. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    oooooooh and the graphics? also easy? heheh
    this is nice ... ah if I had my 3DS working :B lol
    thanks man!

12. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    No, 3D models, texutes and the whole graphics are hard to edit. I couldn't figured it out, yet.

XRaidersP and Sliter like this.
  13. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    well having the text is a big step already o3o

Traiver likes this.
  14. Josephvb10

Josephvb10 The Pokémon guy

Aug 26, 2009
    Lumiose City
    I can't believe this. Why the fuck would Nintendo just disable additional languages? Just to mess with an entire continent?

Tomato Hentai and Sinon like this.
  15. Keizel

Keizel GBAtemp Fan

Jun 28, 2015
    Seems be that the others languages is not complete, for example, errors in the text or acents.

Ammako, Tomato Hentai and Sinon like this.
  16. kiwiis

kiwiis キウィイス

Sep 8, 2015
    I would be interested to see if HANS works with changing languages on the US version, because I've tried HANS with the JP version and the game still launched in Japanese when set to English. If HANS doesn't work with this and rebuilding romfs is required then perhaps the other localizations exist in the JP version too (if only dumping romfs wasn't so slow..)

17. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    well this happens everytime .. as example, i starfox64 3D , zelda, maybe mario ,smash 4, etc it have all the japanese version inside but you have no acess to play if for curiosity or for the better dub :v

18. Josephvb10

Josephvb10 The Pokémon guy

Aug 26, 2009
    Lumiose City
    Well yeah, but we don't talk Japanese in America. However, there are lots of countries in the continent that speak Spanish, and in Canada where they speak French also.

Tony_93 likes this.
  19. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    Also there are no country that speak german ... it could be an all, but thei give us the nothing :P also NOA care most of their English and French, spanish? ok some times thie an recicle from NoE , but portuguese? what is that? :P haha
    What I'm talking is that it could have all the possible languages, like pokemon did , but no, thei want to be restric ... Lots of time the langauge are ingame but we have no acess too it(like that case)

Also you tried to acess it with the console menu in french and spanish? maybe these are there for the Us version

20. Traiver
    OP

Traiver GBAtemp Maniac

Aug 1, 2014
    Germany
    Pew! *Out of the bag*
    10 minutes test video added.

XRaidersP likes this.