Tutorial  Updated

How to play Nintendo DS Wiimmfi without a hotspot

(Rewritten on 12-3-2021.)

WFCTutorial-Banner.png

Important: nds-constraint does not work with this method, due to the USB Connector always having to be connected to a preset local IP. Changing this IP results in maintenance errors upon connecting.

This brief tutorial will showcase how to use Wiimmfi / AltWFC / whatevers without a WEP router or a hotspot. Keep in mind that this does make use of the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector and a Virtual Machine (if you prefer to use that over real hardware), so keep those handy.

1. Unpack the *.zip file and run the setup. Before running the setup file, first plug in your Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector and make sure your Firewall is either disabled or isn't blocking the software.
  2. Only for VirtualBox users: If the USB Connector isn't detected by VirtualBox straight away, click on Devices > USB > Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector [0001] and try again.
  3. If installed successfully, a little icon that looks like this should appear every time you insert your USB Connector.
WFCTutorial-Icon.png
  1. Click on the small Network icon that should be next to the Connector USB software. If it's not there, go to the Control Panel under Network Properties.
  2. Click on the network that reads Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector (*a).
  3. Select Internet-protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties (*b).
  4. Select Use the following DNS server address and use either one of these DNS'es (*c):
RiiConnect24 (same as Wiimmfi):
Preferred DNS server: 164.132.44.106
Alternate DNS server: 8.8.8.8 (or 1.1.1.1)

Wiimmfi:
Preferred DNS server: 46.4.79.141
Alternate DNS server: Leave it empty.

AltWFC:

Preferred DNS server: 104.131.93.87
Alternate DNS server: Leave it empty.

When you've typed out your DNS, click OK, close everything and open up the USB Connector software.

*a WFCTutorial-ConnectionSelect.png
*b
WFCTutorial-ConnectionSettings.png
*c WFCTutorial-DNSProperties.png
  1. Unzip all the contents from WfcPatcher1.6.zip.
  2. Simply drag the DS game you want to patch onto WfcPatcher.exe. The output file is titled Romname (No SSL).nds.
  3. Copy the No SSL rom onto your flashcart.
  1. Launch whatever game you want to play and go to the WFC settings.
  2. Press Connect to your Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector (*a).
  3. A connection is trying to be made. On your computer, right-click on your name and press Grant permission to connect (*b).
  4. Follow the rest of the instructions on screen. If the USB Connector is found and no errors display, you are connected with a different DNS. Leave the WFC settings and go online!
*a WFCTutorial-WFCSettings.png
*b WFCTutorial-GrantPermission.png
  • "The VM software I'm using doesn't want to connect the USB Connector."
Some VM software tend to do that, especially VirtualBox. If that happens, wait for an error message to appear, plug out the USB Connector and plug it back in. Also make sure to not select anything called BUFFALO INC. (formerly MelCo., Inc.) Nintendo Wi-Fi [0001].

• "My DS can't find the USB Connector."
Give it a few tries. Otherwise, disconnect the USB Connector and try again.

• "I got error 52003 / 52103."
Make sure your firewall is disabled for the USB Connector and that the DNS you've chosen is correct.

• "I got error 20100 / 20110 / my game froze."
If you're using a retail cartridge, I can only hope you read the top part of this post, because it won't work. You really have to use a hotspot if you want to use those. If you are using a flashcart, make sure the rom is NoSSL patched.

Last edited by MaxiBash,

Tommaso120

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Guys can you help me? I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to actually patch a NDS game to play online with my friends with NDS Wiimmfi but I'm not understanding if I can patch it or not because it's not possible anymore.

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
OP
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Guys can you help me? I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to actually patch a NDS game to play online with my friends with NDS Wiimmfi but I'm not understanding if I can patch it or not because it's not possible anymore.
You no longer have to patch anything. Just use this DNS and try to connect again:
1st DNS: 164.132.44.106
2nd DNS: 8.8.8.8 (or 1.1.1.1)

Maddox9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nigeria
I have followed all the steps but I can play online , if I check the wiimfi my friend code is visible and I can add friend but I cant play with my friends or anybody using the search function. I have been told to use a router and create a DMZ or port forwarding but I dont have access to a router am using an android hotspot. Pls does anyone have any clue on how to create a DMZ or port forward on android hotspot

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have followed all the steps but I can play online , if I check the wiimfi my friend code is visible and I can add friend but I cant play with my friends or anybody using the search function. I have been told to use a router and create a DMZ or port forwarding but I dont have access to a router am using an android hotspot. Pls does anyone have any clue on how to create a DMZ or port forward on android hotspot
This is pointless use the dns

Maddox9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nigeria
I already did but cant play with others it lets me create my friendcode even recieve gifts in pokemon but i cant play against friends online

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I know this is over 2 years old, but here's a minor correction:
-(A) A flashcart containing the ROM, TWiLight++ (DSi & 3DS-only) or an actual retail copy
TWLM++ does work on DS, and although flashcarts exist for DS, not all of them can run DS games without TWLM++, so it would be relevant to remove the (DSi & 3DS-only)

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
@Trash_Bandatcoot (giving you an @ since you didn't seem to see last time)
This tutorial also says the following:
Setting up the software on Windows XP/Vista is very self-explainitory, it doesn't work on Windows 7 and above (not even a VM) due to the software being not compatible.
I'm not sure if the implication is that you can't do it an an XP/Vista VM, or that you couldn't do it in a 7+ VM, but I know that the former is possible:
Screenshot-19.png

(Not my screenshot)

If the guide could be clarified or corrected in that respect along with my previous suggestion, that would be great
I know it's old and all that, but I really think it needs it, especially considering the fact that it's the first result on Google:
Screenshot_20210311-101112.png

MaxiBash

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands

I'm not sure if the implication is that you can't do it an an XP/Vista VM, or that you couldn't do it in a 7+ VM, but I know that the former is possible:
View attachment 251204
(Not my screenshot)

If the guide could be clarified or corrected in that respect along with my previous suggestion, that would be great
I know it's old and all that, but I really think it needs it, especially considering the fact that it's the first result on Google:
View attachment 251207
Oh crap. Yeah, I need to get around to fixing this someday. Keep on reminding me and I'll get to it.

Reactions: banjo2

k7ra

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

View attachment 251204
(Not my screenshot)

View attachment 251207
Can you share setup for 1.7? I have connector, but cd not work anymore

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
@Trash_Bandatcoot are you sure about
Important: nds-constraint does not work with this method, due to the USB Connector always having to be connected to a preset local IP. Changing this IP results in maintenance errors upon connecting.
though?
I've heard that you just have to apply the same settings to your local area connection properties as well (from this video)

MaxiBash

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Netherlands
@Trash_Bandatcoot are you sure about though?
I've heard that you just have to apply the same settings to your local area connection properties as well (from this video)
I've tried it several times (though not through that video, I'll have a look at it later). It would connect for the first 2 minutes and then give error 20100, sometimes even going as far to crash my game.

Reactions: banjo2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Many schools use some form of firewall or protection, to prevent certain types of content from being viewable.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, And that haha
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school blocks stuff but allows some stuff, its annoying, they legit can see our screens if they want
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Nah. That popcorns got sand in it :(
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There was a time where we were able to bypass the school's network using a VPN that wasn't blocked on the radar. Can't exactly remember the name, but I was able to watch YouTube.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I used to go on proxy sites but I'm too lazy and it isn't worth it
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Proxy sites, not very effective.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    if ur on a Chromebook and cant change jack about the laptop that's what I gotta use
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    One of the sites that weren't blocked on the school's network was some file uploading sites. I would upload some games, write down the URL and take it to school one day.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I did it when the teachers werent looking ofc. I even managed to take in a USB stick that wasn't allowed.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?