Tutorial  Updated

How to play Nintendo DS Wiimmfi without a hotspot

(Rewritten on 12-3-2021.)

WFCTutorial-Banner.png

Important: nds-constraint does not work with this method, due to the USB Connector always having to be connected to a preset local IP. Changing this IP results in maintenance errors upon connecting.

This brief tutorial will showcase how to use Wiimmfi / AltWFC / whatevers without a WEP router or a hotspot. Keep in mind that this does make use of the Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector and a Virtual Machine (if you prefer to use that over real hardware), so keep those handy.

1. Unpack the *.zip file and run the setup. Before running the setup file, first plug in your Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector and make sure your Firewall is either disabled or isn't blocking the software.
  2. Only for VirtualBox users: If the USB Connector isn't detected by VirtualBox straight away, click on Devices > USB > Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector [0001] and try again.
  3. If installed successfully, a little icon that looks like this should appear every time you insert your USB Connector.
WFCTutorial-Icon.png
  1. Click on the small Network icon that should be next to the Connector USB software. If it's not there, go to the Control Panel under Network Properties.
  2. Click on the network that reads Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector (*a).
  3. Select Internet-protocol (TCP/IP) > Properties (*b).
  4. Select Use the following DNS server address and use either one of these DNS'es (*c):
RiiConnect24 (same as Wiimmfi):
Preferred DNS server: 164.132.44.106
Alternate DNS server: 8.8.8.8 (or 1.1.1.1)

Wiimmfi:
Preferred DNS server: 46.4.79.141
Alternate DNS server: Leave it empty.

AltWFC:

Preferred DNS server: 104.131.93.87
Alternate DNS server: Leave it empty.

When you've typed out your DNS, click OK, close everything and open up the USB Connector software.

*a WFCTutorial-ConnectionSelect.png
*b
WFCTutorial-ConnectionSettings.png
*c WFCTutorial-DNSProperties.png
  1. Unzip all the contents from WfcPatcher1.6.zip.
  2. Simply drag the DS game you want to patch onto WfcPatcher.exe. The output file is titled Romname (No SSL).nds.
  3. Copy the No SSL rom onto your flashcart.
  1. Launch whatever game you want to play and go to the WFC settings.
  2. Press Connect to your Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector (*a).
  3. A connection is trying to be made. On your computer, right-click on your name and press Grant permission to connect (*b).
  4. Follow the rest of the instructions on screen. If the USB Connector is found and no errors display, you are connected with a different DNS. Leave the WFC settings and go online!
*a WFCTutorial-WFCSettings.png
*b WFCTutorial-GrantPermission.png
  • "The VM software I'm using doesn't want to connect the USB Connector."
Some VM software tend to do that, especially VirtualBox. If that happens, wait for an error message to appear, plug out the USB Connector and plug it back in. Also make sure to not select anything called BUFFALO INC. (formerly MelCo., Inc.) Nintendo Wi-Fi [0001].

• "My DS can't find the USB Connector."
Give it a few tries. Otherwise, disconnect the USB Connector and try again.

• "I got error 52003 / 52103."
Make sure your firewall is disabled for the USB Connector and that the DNS you've chosen is correct.

• "I got error 20100 / 20110 / my game froze."
If you're using a retail cartridge, I can only hope you read the top part of this post, because it won't work. You really have to use a hotspot if you want to use those. If you are using a flashcart, make sure the rom is NoSSL patched.

Last edited by MaxiBash,

MaxiBash

Your Local Random Internet Geek
OP
Trophies
Website
trashbandatcootofficial.cardd.co
XP
Country
Netherlands
Well, I never could find any easier methods because they're either unsecure or they just don't work.
At least for me this worked, so...

um...
I don't know.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

unknown.png

Is the invite working...?

Also, it should probably be known that you can do this with DSiMenu++ (ROM) or NitroHax (AR codes) for DSi users.
The Discord invite?
I double-checked, it should be fine.

DrPickles

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're all WAY overthinking it.

Get an old router, a new router, any router that supports WEP.
Put a password on it, just for giggles.
Turn SSID Broadcast to Off. (Remember what your SSID is, though.)
Connect DS to router.
Turn off router when done playing.

If anyone takes the time to hack your game while you're playing it, what did you do to them?

banjo2

gamer
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
To be fair, not everyone here can just buy a router and set it up in their home coughcough peoplethatlivewiththeirparents cough. A guest/secondary connection would be my choice, but, I don't think all routers support it. At the moment my main connection is unsecured, because I live in the middle of nowhere.

Also, not all routers even allow insecure connections, according to people that I have spoken to about this.

AManOfThings123456789

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey can I still use the patcher though? If I can just patch my rom and play it through my flashcard that'd be much easier than setting up all this stuff on the router and y'know..
Parents

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey can I still use the patcher though? If I can just patch my rom and play it through my flashcard that'd be much easier than setting up all this stuff on the router and y'know..
Parents
You no longer need to, just set the DNS and/or proxy setting(s) in your Wi-Fi enabled game.

AManOfThings123456789

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even with this patcher, you will still require an unsecured or WEP connection.

If you have a laptop or smartphone, you can set it to AP/hotspot mode to create an easy connection for your DS.
(Oh my actual damn I'm such a fricking idiot) ok thanks
Oops turns out Windows 10 doesn't support WEP on its hotspot and I don't have any mobile data to give my DS guess I can't do it

Last edited by AManOfThings123456789,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: