Hacking How to play movies on my Wii off a USB?

KatieOoT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have WiiMC and put a movie on my USB (which works great) and the movie wouldn't load? Nothing happened really. The movie was a iTunes movies.

Do I need to download something else?

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean precisely when you say it didn't load? Were you able to select the movie in WiiMC's menu selection? Does it then just freeze your system, not even attempt to load your file, or give you a code dump?

In the mean time, assuming you are using Winblows, right click the movie and goto it's properties. Goto details and tell me what the screen resolution is for the movie you are trying to view.

KatieOoT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What do you mean precisely when you say it didn't load? Were you able to select the movie in WiiMC's menu selection? This it then just freeze your system, not even attempt to load your file, or give you a code dump?

In the mean time, assuming you are using Winblows, right click the movie and goto it's properties. Goto details and tell me what the screen resolution is for the movie you are trying to view.

I guess I should have been more specific, sorry haha! There's this bar that loads at the bottom of the screen then nothing happens at all once it finishes.

The movie was iTunes HD so do you think that might be it?

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never used iTunes HD, but I presume it is comparable with Blue Ray resolutions? I can not be sure.

What Operating System are you running on your computer? If you are on Windows, you can find out for sure using the method I described above.

My first guess, given by what you told me, is that the movie's codec file is not supported, or the resolution is too high.

If the resolution is too high, you can use free software like Freemake Video Converter to easily convert that into a different format and reduce the resolution so that your Wii's meager CPU can handle it. It's a drag and drop program, and all you have to do is select the "to DVD" option at the bottom of the program's screen to convert it to a format that should play friendly with your Wii, without reducing video quality to the point where it just looks horrid.

http://www.freemake.com/

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ideally you'll want something around the area of 720x400. Not those exact numbers of course, but anything higher than that usually chugs on my Wii if not crashes is. I.E. Uncompressed Blue Ray rips will not work. :)

KatieOoT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ideally you'll want something around the area of 720x400. Not those exact numbers of course, but anything higher than that usually chugs on my Wii if not crashes is. I.E. Uncompressed Blue Ray rips will not work. :)

I'm 99.9% sure it's because of the resolution. I'll try the software you posted & see if that works! Thanks! (:

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Silly question, but if it was a movie from iTunes, was it a purchased one, or encoded for iTunes?

Anything bought from iTunes won't generally play on anything but an iDevice.

KatieOoT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Silly question, but if it was a movie from iTunes, was it a purchased one, or encoded for iTunes?

Anything bought from iTunes won't generally play on anything but an iDevice.

I think you might be right. It didn't work still & I used the program XDel gave me on a different HD movie too (not from iTunes) to make it a lower res. and that worked.

So, It must be just iTunes movies :P

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
iTunes has that retarded DRM, but I'm pretty sure that if you're patient, you can get around it by using a screen capture program while it's playing and then encoding that to a 640x460 (4:3) or 640x360 (16:9) file.

KatieOoT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've never used iTunes HD, but I presume it is comparable with Blue Ray resolutions? I can not be sure.

What Operating System are you running on your computer? If you are on Windows, you can find out for sure using the method I described above.

My first guess, given by what you told me, is that the movie's codec file is not supported, or the resolution is too high.

If the resolution is too high, you can use free software like Freemake Video Converter to easily convert that into a different format and reduce the resolution so that your Wii's meager CPU can handle it. It's a drag and drop program, and all you have to do is select the "to DVD" option at the bottom of the program's screen to convert it to a format that should play friendly with your Wii, without reducing video quality to the point where it just looks horrid.

http://www.freemake.com/

So if you're still here, I did this with a different movie(use freemake) because it was 1080p and all I got was a folder full of crap hahaa, what do I do here?
Untitled.png

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Those are DVD video format, your video should be in VTS_01_1.vob

Wii can only handle video file in following specification,

* 480p (720 x 480) with reference frame less than or equal to 6. Ideally in progressive as Wii isn't powerful to deinterlace.
* AAC (Low complexity), MP3, AC3, FLAC, Vorbis in Stereo only.

XDel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So if you're still here, I did this with a different movie(use freemake) because it was 1080p and all I got was a folder full of crap hahaa, what do I do here? View attachment 2063

I am terribly sorry, I slightly misguided you. Delete that entire Folder along with all the Folders within.

I meant, and should have said clearly to select your format (I generally use MP4), then in the next window it will say SAME AS SOURCE as the default option. Click on that and select DVD then click CONVERT.

This will produce a single Video file with the MP4 extension and the video will be in a resolution of: 720x576 (yes a little higher res than what I quoted before). If that still makes your Wii crash, chug, skip frames, or what have you, then try TV instead of DVD, but I tend to have good luck with DVD.

Again, sorry for this misguidance, I was going off the top of my head last time.

KatieOoT

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am terribly sorry, I slightly misguided you. Delete that entire Folder along with all the Folders within.

I meant, and should have said clearly to select your format (I generally use MP4), then in the next window it will say SAME AS SOURCE as the default option. Click on that and select DVD then click CONVERT.

This will produce a single Video file with the MP4 extension and the video will be in a resolution of: 720x576 (yes a little higher res than what I quoted before). If that still makes your Wii crash, chug, skip frames, or what have you, then try TV instead of DVD, but I tend to have good luck with DVD.

Again, sorry for this misguidance, I was going off the top of my head last time.

Thank you, movies are running great now! (:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.