How to play GBA games on the DSi XL

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Arm73, Mar 18, 2010.

Mar 18, 2010
  1. Arm73
    OP

Member Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    Following the other tread , I came up with some crazy idea and I thought of sharing it with you, and I' d like to know what do you guys think !

Hey guys I got a solution...........
    It's a little bit of a stretch but........I was thinking............if some how would be possible to modify a DSi XL case.........and fit in there a DSL motherboard ( which has a gba port ) and connect it with the larger, improved screens....( granted you'll lose the cameras and DSi only features ) maybe, just maybe we could play GBA games natively on the larger DSi XL screens ! That would be awesome, as the screens are not only bigger, but also brighter and vivider than any model of GBA ever came close too.............
    I know there are all sort of technical problems that prevent this, but I' ve seen people on youtube with portable N64 or gamecubes or even PSX modified to look like an handled........
    One could only ream right ? But I guess the DSi XL must have enough space in the case to hold a DSL motherboard.......if only the connector for the display would be the same.............Arrghhhhhh why did Nintendo not include a GBA port in the first place ! That's driving me nuts !
    By the way I'm the first one to come up with such idea and all rights are reserved, I'll make a proper post soon with pictures........

2. retiredjerk

Member retiredjerk GBAtemp Regular

or you could just save yourself the trouble and buy an iplayer and do the same thing and save yourself a few hours..however if you pull it off let us know.

3. Thoob

Member Thoob LOLmonade.

United Kingdom
    This would render the cameras useless, you know. And the ribbon cables for the screens probably have different connectors than the DSL. Just buy a damn iPlayer if you want GBA.

4. Arm73
    OP

Italy

That wouldn't be the same thing, wouldn't it ? I mean perfect, native support for the GBA beats any emulators even on the PC, so why bother ?
    It could be an interesting project though, if all you care is DSL and GBA games, and don't really need the extra DSi features ( which by the way are not accessible trough homebrew or any current flashcart ) , why not build yourself the ultimate portable gaming system ?

5. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    If all you care about are DSL and GBA games, why not buy a DSL and get slot 1 and slot 2 flashcarts?

6. ZeWarrior

Member ZeWarrior TheWarrior

Brazil
    Not true. VBA w/ HQ2X >>>> Any GBA/DS natively playing GBA games.

7. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    I have an idea. You could buy a GBA SP II with the nice bright screen and tape it to a DSi XL to form a new handheld system. Wait wait!!!! I have a better idea you could tape a Game Boy to that and a PSP to the Game Boy creating the most formidable heandheld ever concived. It's diabolical hahahahaha.

8. Arm73
    OP

Italy

That isn't the same thing either, OK you get improvement like save states and graphic filters but it certainly is not the same as playing on an handled on the go or when in bed or on the couch.......

9. Pliskron

Banned Pliskron Banned

United States
    GBA on an XL will look like crap I'm thinking. I'm betting it'll look all pixelated.

10. tajio

Member tajio GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    It may be possible for Ben Heck ( http://benheck.com/ ) he can modify games consoles to do many things and even make them portable such as the N64, Gamecube, PSX you mentioned and many more!!!

11. Arm73
    OP

Italy

Yeah that's what I'm talking about ! Thanks for posting this !

The thing is, if you rather have GBA games on it instead of the DSi only features, then it might be a good trade off !

12. DeltaBurnt

Member DeltaBurnt I'm bored

United States
    It might be a "good" idea, but it's waaaay too much work and money wasted just to get GBA games to play natively on your DSi. Plus, you'd still need to buy a slot 2 ram expansion or a gba flashcart to play them from a microsd.