How to play games through SD card in a Wii without a DVD drive?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by The_Legend, Jan 6, 2012.

1. The_Legend
    OP

Newcomer The_Legend Member

Brazil
    Hello there.

I just bought a replacement mainboard for my Wii, because my original one had a problem with the GPU and the USB ports. I had homebrew installed and was running games from the SD card.

After I replaced it (and got everything finally working!), I wondered if my old mainboard would work without a DVD drive. If I bought another power adapter, video cable and sensor bar, I would be with another Wii. To my surprise, it booted just fine, and I could get Configurable USB Loader to run, and see the games on my SD Card. However, when I try to run then, they take longer than usual to load, get to a black screen, and after a while a error appears, as in there was a problem while trying to read the disc.

Is there anyway to fix this problem? It is running on IOS 249, on my original Wii I didn't install the d2x thing (IOS 248). Another loader would make things work? What about another IOS?

2. Lucif3r

Member Lucif3r GBAtemp Maniac

Sweden
    Ok I got a little bit lost as to what Wii is working and what is not but...
    If I understand correctly, the Wii you are asking about does not have a DVD drive plugged in, and used to not work at all? And you have another Wii, with a dvd drive, thats working just fine?

If so, have you tried to move the DVD from the Wii with it, to the Wii without it? To rule out that the Wii isnt actually busted after all.

3. The_Legend
    OP

Brazil
    OK, let me try to explain again:

My Wii was working "fine". I could run games from DVD and from the SD card, because the USB ports were not working. Also, the GPU was not perfect (I got artifacts on Skyward Sword). So I decided to change the mainboard, that came complete, only missing the DVD drive.

So I took the DVD drive from my original Wii (the one with the GPU and USB minor problems) and put on the new mainboard. Now I've got a fully working Wii, and a mainboard, with GPU and USB problems.

I wanted to see if a Wii without a DVD drive would work, so I plugged the AC adapter, video cable and sensor bar to my original mainboard (with GPU and USB problem, without the DVD drive), and to my surprise it turned on, I could access the Homebrew Channel and the Configurable USBLoader. Inside Cfg USBLoader, when I tried to load a game, it took longer than usual, and when it finally loaded, I got and error related to not being able to read the disc.

So I'd like to know if it's possible to run a game through the SD card in a Wii without a DVD drive, or if it is required. Isn't there any IOS that can do that (I'm running under IOS 249).

4. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    A DVD drive of some sort is required AFAIK. Otherwise games refuse to boot. You could try SNEEK-DI, I don't think it needs one.

5. shortz1994

Member shortz1994 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    either way you go, you'll need the dvd drive board. not the drive it self. the way loaders work is trick the wii into thinking it's reading a disc in the drive. an with out the drive board, it's thinking the dvd drive is missing or not working. this is the reason for the error.
    i used this to do a friends wii not to long ago. his dvd drive went out so we played with his.
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=149299

6. Lucif3r

Sweden

Hm really? Ill admit I havnt tried any usb loader without the DVD, just used the SM (which worked fine)...
    Well thats disappointing for me, as I was planning on making a 'proper' slim Wii. But if the drive board is required it kinda ruins the idea (I dont want to disassemble the dvd). Booooooo! :(

7. techboy

Member techboy GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    The boards are sold by themselves if you want to do this without wrecking a good DVD drive. eBay has used D2B boards for $20 or so. If you hunt for them, I'll bet D3-2 and D4s are available for even less.

8. The_Legend
    OP

Brazil
    So just the board would do the trick? I'll start searching for one, then.

9. techboy

United States
    The mod shortz linked to above uses the board only, so I see no reason why it wouldn't work in your case, but no guarantees on that. I'm definitely not an expert on wii hardware. There are several people on here though that could tell you for certain if it'll work for you.

10. The_Legend
    OP

Brazil
    Yeah, I guess you're right. I found a Wii Drive Board at Divineo.com for just US$ 4.97! A real bargain!

11. Lucif3r

Sweden
    I know, but that costs money :P
    Also the idea I had was to make it "external". As in - having some sort of connector on the case in which you could just plug in the DVD should you need it.
    I suppose that would still be possible by seperating the mechanic/lens from the drive board but... Its not very tidy compared to just having the whole thing lose.
    But meh, its small enough as it is, I just tend to saw things apart when I get bored hehe

12. The_Legend
    OP

Brazil
    I just got the DVD board from Divineo, it did the trick! Now I got my second Wii working, thanks for the tip!

13. techboy

United States
    Glad to hear it worked :)