Tutorial  Updated

How to Play Games Online Before 11.4 Without Ctr Httpwn (CFW needed)

Now some of you may be refusing to update because maybe you want to keep NTR streaming, perhaps you have a Gateway emuNAND, or you're just stubborn.
Recommended(blue is required):
  • A (new)3DS that has arm9 access (emuNAND, A9LH, etc..)
  • A custom firmware with the ability to install and run unsigned cias ... preferably Luma
  • NAND dumping tool: Decrypt9/Hourglass9
  • 11.0 or higher is recommended, I haven't tested on anything below and I'm not sure if it will work.
  • FBI
  • 3DSNUS
Firstly, you want to create a NAND backup with hourglass9, or any tool that let's you dump your NAND. You want to do this in case something goes terribly wrong. You are going to be installing a title into your NAND, so it's a good practice to keep regular backups so you could always roll back. This is recommended, but not required.
Once that's all good, you can go to your computer and backup your NAND.bin to your computer, then download 3DSNUS.
Once it's downloaded, extract it into a folder you know the location of so that you can get to it easily. Then you run it, and inside the textbox, you want to enter in
11.4.0-37X where X is the region of your console. You can check the region from System Settings. For this tutorial, I'll be downloading EUR, so I can use it on my European emuNAND.
upload_2017-4-25_23-38-13.png

Make sure that "Pack as CIA" and your type of 3DS is selected. Click BEGIN DOWNLOAD and give it a couple minutes as it downloads the entire 11.4 update to the folder you created. You have to download the entire update since I couldn't out how to individually download titles with this, so please bare with me.
Once it's done downloading, you should see a new folder titled 11.4.0-37X , (X is the region) go in the folder, and find '0004013000003202.cia' copy that file into a easy to find location on your 3DS' SD card.

Next, you want to install the CIA you just placed with FBI. If it errors, try again. If you somehow brick, make sure the .cia isn't corrupted and flash back a NAND dump.

When it succeeds, reboot your 3DS and you should be able to play online without having to update or use ctr-httpwn.
Please don't hold me accountable for lost/stolen/bricked/blown up 3DS's, you're following this guide at your own risk.

Also, this guide isn't recommended since it's called Frankenfirmware, but this allows you to go online without launching anything extra, so it's your choice if you want a couple less steps to play Pokemon online.

An alternative method for Luma 3DS users would be to just update Luma to 7.0+ by using Luma Updater

Last edited by RyDog,

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so luma 7.0.2 allows online gaming even on lower FW version?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nope N3DS XL.

I can confirm Smash does work here on menuhax N3DS XL with 11.2 CFW no problem.
ctr-httpwn works fine. but if luma 3ds could do it automatically I would take the 7.0.2 update. can anybody confirm this functionality for luma3ds?

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: Luma3DS makes ctr-httpwn somewhat useless since it made me play Smash Bros. without even booting ctr-httpwn before on several machines. So either Ninty forgot about FW-checking (which I highly doubt) or Luma3DS now has that feature included and didn't even mention it in the changelog (or I need new glasses).

tl;dr: Luma3DS is amazing!

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
UPDATE: Luma3DS makes ctr-httpwn somewhat useless since it made me play Smash Bros. without even booting ctr-httpwn before on several machines. So either Ninty forgot about FW-checking (which I highly doubt) or Luma3DS now has that feature included and didn't even mention it in the changelog (or I need new glasses).

tl;dr: Luma3DS is amazing!
ctr-httpwn is only useful for accessing the eShop/Miiverse/NNID settings/Badge Arcade, or other things I've forgotten that involve your NNID/any Nintendo services.

naddel81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't even have a NNID on my device. But doesn't opening eShop delete the titles for DLC and stuff you loaded from freeShop?

KunoichiZ

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't even have a NNID on my device. But doesn't opening eShop delete the titles for DLC and stuff you loaded from freeShop?
I've had it delete it and I've had it not deleted when using the eShop. If you load the in-game eShop, it might delete it but I've gone to the normal eShop and have had it not deleted. I've installed DLC through either freeShop or as a CIA.

Robert McCoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't read through the entire thread to see if it's been said before but, isn't there an easier solution than this by just using freeshop to download/install the updates for the games? You know for example installing the 1.1.6 version for super smash bros 3D from within the freeshop app.

Edit: this is in reference to the OP, not in reference to the new version of Luma

Last edited by Robert McCoy,

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't read through the entire thread to see if it's been said before but, isn't there an easier solution than this by just using freeshop to download/install the updates for the games? You know for example installing the 1.1.6 version for super smash bros 3D from within the freeshop app.

Edit: this is in reference to the OP, not in reference to the new version of Luma
You need to update the system to go online, not the game. Though, you do need to update the game too, but that's not what this thread is about.

Robert McCoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You need to update the system to go online, not the game. Though, you do need to update the game too, but that's not what this thread is about.

Really, because during the days of gateway I could update the game with a cia and play it online without updating my system

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really, because during the days of gateway I could update the game with a cia and play it online without updating my system
Yup. Look at the thread title. 11.4. That's a system version number, not a game. You usually need to update the system before you can play online. Sometimes, recent firmwars will still work too. For example, when 11.4 came out, I was still on 11.2 and it was letting me on just fine. I didnt recieve the "you must update" error code until just a few days ago. Thats probably what happened with your gateway situation.

Robert McCoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's what everyone was doing when emunand would be broken by a new update. They would download the update for the game via a CIA file and be able to play the game online without updating the system. @MattKimura had "guides" on this.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's what everyone was doing when emunand would be broken by a new update. They would download the update for the game via a CIA file and be able to play the game online without updating the system. @MattKimura had "guides" on this.
So instead of tagging Matt, why don't you post a link to one of the guides? I'm sorry, but online 3DS doesn't work that way. Either Nintendo lets more than just the most recent firmware version online, or you need to use ctr-httpwn (or 7.x Luma). Simply updating a game isn't going to let you online if you're on a blocked firmware version. The 3DS has an error code for needing a system update to go online. Why would Nintendo add that if it wasn't a thing?

jamosb

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you follow this guide to chain boot your GW you can update your cfw luma sysnand to 11.4. Just make sure you have your GW configured to use emunand on 11.2 and under before you update your luma to 11.4 and backup your sysnand and emunand with godmode9 or decrypt9 first.

And of course with using GW never ever update your firmware to 11.3 or 11.4 in gw mode. I would suggest just not setting up internet for the GW emunand.

But as the OP said if you go to 11.4 you cannot stream with ntr even with cfw.

Last edited by jamosb,

papurro

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
hi dudes, need little help. anybody can upload the pack for old 3ds usa, cause it wont download i dont know why, please... thanks

Robert McCoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So instead of tagging Matt, why don't you post a link to one of the guides? I'm sorry, but online 3DS doesn't work that way. Either Nintendo lets more than just the most recent firmware version online, or you need to use ctr-httpwn (or 7.x Luma). Simply updating a game isn't going to let you online if you're on a blocked firmware version. The 3DS has an error code for needing a system update to go online. Why would Nintendo add that if it wasn't a thing?
wasn't exactly a "guide" and I'm not allowed to link to the site I found that on. Maybe it doesn't work that way now or maybe gateway emunand worked differently back on 9.5 idk. All I know is that it used to work. The site I got the info on was "that site" at the time. Of course this doesn't even matter to me now because I use a9lh on the latest firm but I just found it interesting that it no longer works this way.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wasn't exactly a "guide" and I'm not allowed to link to the site I found that on. Maybe it doesn't work that way now or maybe gateway emunand worked differently back on 9.5 idk. All I know is that it used to work. The site I got the info on was "that site" at the time. Of course this doesn't even matter to me now because I use a9lh on the latest firm but I just found it interesting that it no longer works this way.
....it never worked that way. You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm telling you how it works and you're pretty much telling me "I can't remember how it worked exactly, but you're wrong." ....please. The fact that this thread even exists should be more than enough proof that you're wrong. Either post some proof, or stop arguing. kthx.

Last edited by MadMageKefka,

Robert McCoy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
....it never worked that way. You have no idea what you're talking about. I'm telling you how it works and you're pretty much telling me "I can't remember how it worked exactly, but you're wrong." ....please. The fact that this thread even exists should be more than enough proof that you're wrong. Either post some proof, or stop arguing. kthx.
I'm not arguing. I don't really care. I never said you were wrong. I can see it doesn't work that way anymore. Just sharing what I experienced. I know it's not 2013 anymore and no one cares about how things with gateway worked. I'm glad I sold mine when I did. It was jank af and I'm glad things have come this far and I never have to worry about updates anymore. This is my last post in response to this matter. I really don't care and it doesn't effect me I just wanted to share what I experienced in the past.

MadMageKefka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not arguing.
By continuing to say I'm wrong for 4 posts after the first.... that's what we call arguing.

I never said you were wrong.
By responding 4 times after I have told you how updates and online work, and telling me something different, you are saying I'm wrong. If you thought I was right, you wouldn't contest it. Cute how you just walk away when I ask for proof though. Yea... that's what I thought.

I really don't care and it doesn't effect me I just wanted to share what I experienced in the past.

^ This isn't sharing a story. This is what people call "a question." Sounds to me like you are unsure of yourself.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night