How to play backups on your PS3.

IF YOU HAVE 3.56 OR HIGHER, YOU"RE OUT OF LUCK ...for now.

Prerequisites:
A PS3 with a firmware of 3.55 or lower
Willing to sacrifice access to PSN (muiltiplayer)
Access to the internet
Unarchiver program:
WinRAR
7-Zip

Recommended:
An external hard drive
A flash drive

Files:
Original Firmware 3.55
Kmeaw Custom Firmware (Patch Only)
If 3.41, you have the option of Hermes CFW but my recommendation is to just update to 3.55.
Hermes Custom Firmware

The games you own are your property and you have the right to create a legal backup. (Of course, not every person is going to do this)

DISCLAIMER:
First, you must understand the risks that come from modifying your PS3. There is a slight possibility of legal trouble (even though the odds are near to none) and it is possible to brick your PS3. I am in no way responsible for the outcome of the procedure so be cautioned. If you use common sense and don't take any stupid risks, it should work out fine.

Now that the disclaimer is out of the way, let's get started.

Part I:
It's decision time, which custom firmware (CFW) do you want to install on your PS3? I would just stay to Kmeaw's CFW. There's also Geohot's CFW, Wutangrza, etc. Not to advertise but Kmeaw has the most functionality from any CFW and is probably the easiest to install. You can also find a prepatched CFW(no need to modify it) which I can't post here for legal
reasons but you can just google it. This tutorial will be using Kmeaw but feel free to use others even though I don't recommend it. (Stay away from Waninkoko's CFW V1 at all costs)

Make sure to have 3.55. If you don't, just update from a lower version from install from USB Device option o XMB (Under Settings, find "System Update", choose "update Via Storage Media". YOU CANNOT DOWNGRADE FROM 3.56 OR 3.60.

If you decide to patch Kmeaw manually to the OFW:
Download the bsdiff file which is in the "Kmeaw CFW" file at top.(open it up in WinRar or 7-zip and drag it to a folder) into a folder stored somewhere on your computer. For your convenience, just put the orginal firmware
and the patchfile from Kmeaw in the root (meaning not in folders) of the C drive. Keep PS3UPDAT.PUP, patchfile, and bspatch.exe in the same folder. Open Command Prompt which is Accessories -> Command Prompt in the Start Menu or press (Windows) key and "R" at the same time
and type cmd then press enter. Navigate to where you stored using the cd command to open folders. "cd C:\PathOfBspatch.exe". For me, it would be "cd C:\Users\YourUsername\Downloads", then I type "bspatch.exe".
Afterwards, type "bspatch PS3UPDAT.PUP whatever.PUP patchfile". (Just copy that line into command prompt, select that command in quotations and right-click on the blackscreen and press paste)
It should start patching. At the end, go back to the folder in explorer and rename whatever.PUP to PS3UPDAT.PUP You now have a modified firmware!
Or find a prepatched one:
(Hint: Google "Kmeaw prepatched")

Part II:
QUOTE said:
A File system (or filesystem) is a way of storing all data on a data storage device. The data is usually organized in computer files in directories. Below the file system there is usually a physical device where the files are stored.
-Simple English Wikipedia

Make sure your device uses FAT32 as the filesystem. For most flash drives, this shouldn't be a problem. If you're using an external hard drive, make sure it's FAT32 by right-clicking on it in "My Computer" and pressing "Properties".

Note: Formatting your flash device will cause the data to be deleted. Partitioning your external hard drive will work for you can have multiple drives with different filesystems and you can keep a partition for your PS3 and other
stuff (I have a partition for my Wii, PS3, Linux EXT4 for Ubuntu, swap space, and NTFS). My external HDD is 1TB so about 250GB for each partition. Go find a different tutorial about this.

If it's not, go to Command Prompt using the method mentioned before and type "format : /FS:FAT32". It should look like this, "format E: /FS:FAT32". Confirm.
Copy the PS3UPDAT.PUP file to "E:/PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP" Where it says E:\, that's the drive I use to flash drive (external hard drive works too), you might have a different drive letter. Go to My Computer and click on your flash drive. Create a New Folder called PS3,
then another called UPDATE inside of that folder. Copy your PS3UPDAT.PUP inside of that folder.
capture3.JPG

Once the CFW is in the correct path, unplug your storage device and plug it into the PS3 Under Settings, find "System Update" and then choose "update Via Storage Media. Select System Update and it should prompt you to install the CFW. Just accept.
If that fails, you might have to boot into recovery mode.

Recovery Mode:
1. Make sure your PS3 is off
2. Hold power button down. When you first press it, it'll make a "beep" noise. Continue holding it until it beeps two more times. It should take about 15 seconds so be patient.
3. Hold power button again and wait for three beeps.
4. Connect your PS3 controller to the console via the cable that came with it (Any MicroUSB Cable will do).
5. Follow Instructions.
6. System Update, Update from USB.

Select System Update and it should prompt you to install the CFW. Just accept.

Part III.
Now, that the dirty work is done. Doesn't look much different, right? Wrong, your PS3 is now homebrew-enabled. Google "PS3 Homebrew" if you want to try them out.
This tutorial is specifically about backups so that's the only thing I'm covering.

There are many backup managers but I'm going to focus on Muiltiman. In my opinion, Muiltiman is the most functional but there are other good ones.
Muiltiman 2.00.03, you might want to check for newer versions.
Muiltiman
Copy the .pkg files inside the root of your flash device. Copy "multiMAN ver 2.00.01 BASE (20110513_220000).pkg" and the last game file within another archive.
Plug your device into the PS3. Under the game tab, go to the "Install Package File" and select Muiltiman.
After installation, go to Muiltiman under the main menu and accept the EULA. You now have a fully functional backup launcher.

You also need this file to run the backups. Put it in the root of your device and install it just like Muiltiman
BDEMU v2 (Needed to play games) Version 2 allows you to play split games.
BDEMU v1 (for lower versions.)

PART IV:
Check it out, look at the settings and controls. Get familar with the interface, maybe change the theme. This task if so easy, there's no use in explaining it.
There is an option to backup your games from the Blu-Ray drives. You might want to check that out. My suggestion is if you don't want to backup the game, to start a backup
and then cancelling it as this will give you the path in your (internal or external) hard drive.

Most games will work on both external and internal but some will only work on one or the other.
Games containing files larger than 4GB cannot be stored on external due to FAT32 filesystem's limitation.
You can use muiltiman or another FTP application to transfer the file through FTP. You can also split the file
and transfer it though external hard drive.

To transfer a game from your computer to your external hard drive. You must make a folder called GAMEZ in the root.
Then copy your game inside another folder named as the GAMEID. The GAMEID is a code used to label each game. You can
google them. ("looks like BLUS30127")
Split4G:
Split4G
This Windows application will split your files so you can transfer them to Muiltiman. The path to store the split files is /GAMEZ/GAMEID. The GAMEID is
a code used to label each game. You can google them. ("looks like BLUS30127")
Capture.JPG

You can also directly transfer a game to the PS3 internal hard drive. You can use a protocol called FTP. Muiltiman comes with a FTP manager already so you can use that.
You need a FTP client such as Filezilla (Google it). For muiltiman, the creditionals are "anonymous" and there is no password. There should be a IP address(looks like "10.0.0.9") in muiltiman.
Just drag and drop the files into "GAMEZ/GAMEID" on your internal hard drive.
Capture2.JPG

capture1.JPG

Part V
You should now have at least one game. You must have a game in your PS3 to do this. In Muiltiman, select a game and press "X". You will be returned to XMB. Check the game and it should be
different than the game within the Blu-Ray drive. You can now select it and play.
Happy Hacking!

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Uh what? I hope you are aware that there are already 2 more multiMAN guides on this board??

Nice guide, nonetheless.

libertas34

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oops...I suppose it's too late now. Anyway, I meant to post this like a week ago then I procrastinated especially with finals at my school. I still hope it's good though as this is my first tutorial.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
• Direct linking to a file hosted on another website is not a good idea. (split4g).
You should either rehost it, or give the link to the front page or multiMAN thread.

• Your direct-links to PS3-hacks doesn't work. (firmware, tools and patches)

• You force the user to install the BASE version, though there are 3 different versions available.

• You uploaded a BDEMU for Kmeaw, users using Wutangrza can't use it, you should upload the rar containing both (or 3) BDEMU version.
You didn't specify if BDEMU is v1 or v2

• You said "feel free to use another cfw" but you don't tell the users that the files you are providing won't work.

• You removed some files from the multiMAN archive
frown.gif

(changelog, where's that file?)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks.

I don't think I know "more" than other people, I'm just reading the changelog and the author's topic to see the homebrew development.

I just want users following the guide to get the enough informations to know what they are doing and understand why it's not working.
If things are not fully explain, that will lead to more forum's topic asking the same question. I think a guide's main purpose is to prevent users from having question.

If you add these missing informations, I think it should be enough.
Just explain that you are providing only the files for Kmeaw and if the users are using another custom firmware they shouldn't use your files.

BDemu v2 is only needed for v2.00.01+
Providing the v2 will be easier for users when they will update their multiMAN.

libertas34

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Parts of my guide became moot after 2.00.01 got released. I'm still in high school and I have quite a few tests and essays I need to do. I was going to take pics from the actual console but I just don't have the time. Maybe I will over Memorial weekend or into the summer vacation. I didn't include the changelog because I aim for a simplicity paradigm. Most users wouldn't really look at the changelog (I added it for you.) I didn't realize I had dead links; I'm using my Dropbox for all hosting needs.

I'll move them to Filetrip later though. (I think the OFW is too large though.) I was thinking of just creating a torrent but I'm not the best seeder and there's always a negative connotation with viruses and piracy.

I really appreciate the criticism too. It helps me a lot. Thank you.

libertas34

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The packages are already signed from my knowledge. When developers sign their code, they do it on their computers. The main reason that CFWs exist is so you can run homebrew. The OFW doesn't allow you to install packages from external sources.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
RoboticBuddy said:
If you sign a PS3 ISO/Game Loader, do you have to be on OFW 3.55?
I think you didn't write the correct word in your question.

Did you mean "if you sign a PS3 iso, will it work on a Official FW" ?
Yes, once signed you can launch a game on an official firmware.
I'm running my backup of Castlevania installed on the internal HDD as if it was a PSN downloaded game.
It's signed with official keys, so the console accept to launch the game (officially, without a backup manager).

You don't have to be on 3.55, you can be on any firmware which the keys are known.
when signing an eboot.bin, there are 2 main keys used, the one for 3.55 and 3.56, and the one for 2.76 to 3.42 (I think it's 2.76, maybe 1.90?)

I don't know how to sign eboot.bin, but if you do you can launch the game managers on official firmware.
usually the only signed homebrew are released for geohot cfw because it requires the 3.55 signature, while other cfw can launch unsigned homebrew.

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
RoboticBuddy said:
If you sign a PS3 ISO/Game Loader, do you have to be on OFW 3.55?
I think you didn't write the correct word in your question.

Did you mean "if you sign a PS3 iso, will it work on a Official FW" ?
Yes, once signed you can launch a game on an official firmware.
I'm running my backup of Castlevania installed on the internal HDD as if it was a PSN downloaded game.
It's signed with official keys, so the console accept to launch the game (officially, without a backup manager).

You don't have to be on 3.55, you can be on any firmware which the keys are known.
when signing an eboot.bin, there are 2 main keys used, the one for 3.55 and 3.56, and the one for 2.76 to 3.42 (I think it's 2.76, maybe 1.90?)

I don't know how to sign eboot.bin, but if you do you can launch the game managers on official firmware.
usually the only signed homebrew are released for geohot cfw because it requires the 3.55 signature, while other cfw can launch unsigned homebrew.

Yes, yes, sorry, I stated my question incorrectly.

Anyways, is there a way to launch a game/ISO off an external HDD without using a backup loader?

libertas34

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As of now, you cannot play games natively from the external hard drive. You can use the eboot method to play off internal and it's recognized as a PSN download. You can not play backups without a backup loader such as muiltiMAN, Rogero, etc.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I don't know if we can install PSN-like games with an external path.
It may work if you plug the drive in the correct usb port.

multiMAN is automatizing the path creation to dev_hdd0/G/
but there are different windows application to create the psn-like packages manually which let you choose the game path, like Auto modifier/auto mod tool (but this one has hdd0 and bdvd hard coded, you can't select usb0)
There are manual process using failoverflow tools, maybe you can try usb0 when editing the path manually.

StuParker

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Funny I was being directed to these guides. This only works if your PS3 has CFW 3.65 or below I take it? I have 4.22 so I am pretty much SOL until I either decide to buy another PS3 with a lower firmware (Which isn't going to happen) or wait until someone can jailbreak 4.22 (Which from what I've read is not as close to happening either)?

Thanks for the feedback

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.