1. Nikokaro

OP Nikokaro Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Italy
    Perhaps not everyone knows that it is possible to play gba games, coming from cartridge inserted in the second slot of the DS phat/lite, without those annoying black borders around the image, by setting a colorful background or frame.This tutorial is aimed at these people.
    You will see that the difference is truly remarkable.

1603632361818.jpg

1) First you must have inserted a DS flash cart in the first slot and a gba cartridge (or gba flashcart) in the second slot.

2) To start the game you will have to use YSmenu, installed in the root of your DS flashcart.

3) You will need to edit the YSmenu.ini file inside TTmenu folder (in my case) by writing 'draw_frame = true'.

4) Insert, in the same folder containing the .ini file, a 24 bit background image named 'gbaframe.bmp', with a size of 256x192 bpp.
    Personally I have inserted several of those for the sake of variety, to be renamed when necessary with DSOrganize (or other file manager).

5) Finally, turn on the console, select the first slot from the DS start menu, accessing YSmenu, then press start and x to launch the gba game. You will notice that it will give a completely different, revitalized impression.

Probably the software of some flashcart allows you to do the same thing, but YSmenu has the advantage of being almost universally compatible, easy to use and therefore very widespread. Besides, I can only talk about my own experience.

1603205966361.jpg

1603205992074.jpg

1603206017628.jpg

2. Zense

Zense GBARunner2 config: Touch the touchscreen + press R

Italy
    Do you think you could share these frames you have here in a zip file? It would be great to have them with GBARunner2 for slot 1 cards.

3. Nikokaro

Newcomer

Italy
    Hi. Now I don't have time nor a PC at hand, but I will upload them soon. And they are full pictures, not frames.

Zense likes this.
  4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

Norway
    GBA ExpLoader can apparently do it for those that have an EZ3in1.
    Also the R4, CycloDS kernels have this feature as does AKAIO. Not sure about Wood R4 but it is based on AKAIO so probably. That covers most people.

5. wonkeytonk

wonkeytonk Advanced Member
    Newcomer

United States
  6. Nikokaro

Newcomer

Italy
    Here, as requested, a small, modest collection of background images with floral, colorful, metallic, tech, wooden, stone and valuable themes. It is mainly aimed at those who use gba cartridges in slot 2 booted with YSMenu, repeating that they are 24 bpp images, and I do not guarantee that are suitable for other DS cart software; e.g. Akaio cart uses 15 bpp images as frames.

P.S. And Remember, misfortune mates, if there was ever a cure for this so-called video game obsession, it's in the disease itself.

Attached Files:

7. StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist A genuine feline disaster.

United States
    Very, very neat. I had no clue this was a thing. My only concern is with the potential for screen burn-in, although I'm not actually sure how big of a risk that is with the DS's unique panels.

8. Glazed_Belmont

Newcomer

Canada
    there's no risk of any screen burn-in afaik, the DS's panels are just some TN LCDs

9. Orangy57

Orangy57 bruh

United States
    There's another piece of Homebrew software that does this if you don't have YSMenu, I linked it below with a random border that I whipped up a few years back that works with it. It was actually made by Temp users over a decade ago, but filetrip is long dead and this version of the ROM didn't include an icon or header which I added.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/boot-gba-custom-border.256525/

Attached Files:

Last edited by Orangy57, Oct 31, 2020
    Zense likes this.
  10. zxr750j

zxr750j GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    Love denki blocks...

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - background, frame,