How to persuade my mum to get wifi

Discussion in 'Wii - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by dalekdan10, Jul 24, 2009.

Jul 24, 2009
  1. dalekdan10
    OP

Newcomer dalekdan10 Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    hi, you might of read my other one saying is wi fi dangerous, now
    how can i get my mum to get me wi fi

2. vergilite

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    pull out a gun and give her two options [​IMG]

3. dalekdan10
    OP

United Kingdom
    lol, but could i have a better answer

4. Elritha

Member Elritha GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Do you have more then one computer in the house, a laptop? If so you could mention how convenient wifi is, no need to run wires around the house. Also mention it is very secure once you use the proper security (WPA/WPA2, do not use WEP).

5. dalekdan10
    OP

United Kingdom
    yes i do have more than one pc i actually have 10 or more [​IMG], anwayz thankyou i will try that, but if that deosnt work, any other ideas?

6. vergilite

Member vergilite GBATemps Regular Clown

United Kingdom
    im sorry, il be serious if you are still in school just say how much it will help you in school and you only need a router its only £20 for a alright one or buy a dongle to share your computers internet with your ds, and why can't you buy one yourself ??

EDIT: @Edhel: why is WEP so bad i mean i know the risks of hacking the connection but you'd have to have a pretty techno savi neighbor to do that (which i don't have) i have WEP (used to have WPA/WPA2 but changed to WEP so my DS could connect

7. NNoah95

Newcomer NNoah95 Member

United States
    You could always buy one of those 20$ Nintendo wifi adapters you plug into the USB port of your computer.

8. dalekdan10
    OP

United Kingdom
    ive got a wireless router, and i know how to get wifi on wii, but i need to persueade my mum to get it for me, we all share 1 wii and there is 12 of us, and my mum says its unfair, so please help!!!
    im desparate

9. Elritha

Canada
    Not really. It's a simple matter of downloading a linux live cd that has the tools on it already, you don't even have to install linux, just boot off cd. There are online guides out there that show you how to crack WEP in under 5 minutes.

10. dalekdan10
    OP

United Kingdom
    [​IMG] really, i changed it to wep so i could go on wi fi on my ds, do you reccomend me to change it, we have very good antivirus though?

Posts merged

oh yes and also go to here please: http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=169699 and also could i have another answer as i will tell all my mother the advantages by tonight.

11. XwardyX

Newcomer XwardyX Member

United Kingdom
    cool i hope u get wifi dalekdan! [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. dalekdan10
    OP

United Kingdom
    yh mee too wardy have u got any tips, cuz uve got wifi, what did u do to get it

13. SifJar

Member SifJar Not a pirate

United Kingdom
    antivirus wont protect your network, it protects your computer. and what do mean by "very good" by the way? the one we have is the biggest name one, and its crap. It cant actually get rid of viruses, just tells you they exist. It can get rid of some, but not the bad ones which are the ones you really want rid of.

And if you do change your WiFi away from WEP, your DS wont be able to connect. From what I've read the best solution is to remove encyption completely, and just have a whitelist of allowed MAC addresses. Add your DS and any computers and your Wii and anything else to the whitelist, then nothing else can connect. I dont know how to do this, but I read this should be done.

14. Elritha

Canada
    Until someone clones your mac address. You can simply scan for connected computers and copy their mac address.

Anyway, just warning about the dangers of using WEP, it's still better then nothing and mac filtering. Don't want to start sounding all paranoid. [​IMG]

It is quite annoying the DS doesn't accept WPA. If you are using WEP, just keep a close eye on your router for unwanted guests.

15. dalekdan10
    OP

United Kingdom
    we have avast antivirus
    and will the wii connect to wep so i dont have to change it, or should i change it just to be on the safe side

16. Stiff

Newcomer Stiff Member

United States
    SifJar is right, use a MAC address white list. Keep AV(flavor isn't real important) on all pc's. Wifi is not 100% bulletproof safe, but the risk is not much higher then standard(cabled) internet.

I was anti wifi for security reasons forever, but with 4 consoles and 5 PC's, its so much easier.

17. WiiThoko

Member WiiThoko GBAtemp Fan

United States
    From what I understand here, you can't connect just because your parents say no? If you already have the router ready to go, just connect it without telling her. How would she ever know?

18. dalekdan10
    OP

United Kingdom
    hey guys, ive tried everything that you've told me, she still says no, i need help desparately, PLEASE, IM WORKING REALLY HARD

Posts merged

GUYS IVE TRIED SHE STILL SAYS NO please help me!!!

19. dalekdan10
    OP

United Kingdom
    let me answer wiithoko's question
    firstly, i have 12 BROTHERS AND SISTERS, they are bound to get to know and tell,
    second, my mum can just walk past and see me on wi fi and i will get told off, seen as though its in the living room

20. toh_yxes

Member toh_yxes GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    dou you mean she can check the router? or she can check the computer to see if you are on.

router : Say that your DS is connected to the WiFi, and that it counts as one of the users.

computer: Smash the port where the internet cord goes in.... [​IMG]