How to permanent block New 3ds from update nag / auto download?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by the3dsguy, Oct 10, 2015.

1. the3dsguy
    OP

the3dsguy GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2014
    Canada
    Is there a way to permanently block the New 3DS gateway Emunand all the time, any wifi connection, from update nag or auto downloading the firmware.

Kind of like IOS jailbreak where you cant even check for update.

Last edited by the3dsguy, Oct 10, 2015
  2. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    Use the tubehax dns. Dunno if it will work permanently though.
    Or block the nintendo servers, but you won't be able to use the eshop.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Margen67 likes this.
  4. Osmosis

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    The old dirty trick which works until a new update is released (which is like every week with Nintendon't these days) is to hold UP+LT+RT+A while pressing POWER to turn on the 3DS. Keep holding them until the update screen appears. Click continue and then another UELA screen appears. THIS IS WHERE YOU CLICK "DO NOT ACCEPT" OR YOU WILL ACCIDENTALLY UPGRADE YOUR SYSNAND TO LATEST FW!!!! It will kick back out to sysNAND and won't bother you until Nintendo gets antsy and farts out another one.

Yes, your fingers will get a yoga stretch. Yes, it's like staring into the mouth of FW death. Yes, you must repeat this the next time Nintendon't farts out another "security improvement" update.

Most ppl just avoid doing this all together. Or they go the extreme route of blocking DNS'.

Does blocking DNS' affects your Homepass router???

artur3004 likes this.
  5. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
  6. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Using the TubeHax DNS should work fine - it's what I use. Beyond that, disable the Wifi until you actually need it.

7. haru3173

haru3173 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 2, 2009
    United States
    Does tubehax let me still play online like mh4u?

8. Osmosis

Osmosis Accidents Happen. Don't be one of them.

Dec 20, 2014
    United States
    I 2nds that.

9. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Addict

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    Also, seeing as you're on Gateway, make a backup of your EmuNAND. Then, if it does accidently update it doesn't matter.

10. tivu100

tivu100 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 6, 2015
    United States
    I used to have same/similar question like OP. Still wonder, is it possible for homebrew developer to develope an app which can tamper in system settings to update spoof? Now that we have autoboot into CFW. Update spoof which still allow internet use would make us closer to become perma-CFW like those of the old PSP.

At times,there's the need to use sysnand with internet like scanning QR code to inject missed event Pokemon (there are QR codes around so it's much more convenient to use QR code than save data filer inject). It would suck that an accident is always waiting to happen when using sysnand with internet.

Last edited by tivu100, Oct 11, 2015
  11. Ripper00420

Ripper00420 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 5, 2013
    United States
    Try using freemultipatcher.cia it spoofs fw and a few other things, but gets rid of the notification for me ;).

12. VerseHell

VerseHell GBAtemp Psycho!

Jun 29, 2014
    France
    fmp doesn't remove the update nag,, it justs prevent it. And you can't use it on vanilla sysnand.
    Yes it does. It just block the updates. :)

13. Neptune

Neptune GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 7, 2003
    United States
    Internet

It will bug you, the next time you close the 3ds and it goes into sleep mode and downloads the update.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Update notification/blocking download doesn't work on n3ds on multi patcher

14. Ruby Gloom

Ruby Gloom GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 25, 2015
    DalvĂ­k, Iceland
    Just reading these gets me paranoid... I'm on SysNand 8.1.0-17E EmuNand 10.1.0-40E and I haven't been prompted with updates... But will they really attempt a automatic update on my system if I'm not running GW mode...?