Tutorial  Updated

How to perform a System Transfer without losing non-legitimate titles

Nintendo 3DS System Transfer Tutorial by PrincessLillie​

"How do I do a system transfer without losing my homebrew?"
This is a question that seems to get asked a lot, so I figured I'd write a tutorial on how to do it to put an end to the countless threads.

What You Need
  • The latest release of faketik (the .3dsx file)

Instructions
  1. Ensure that both of your devices are updated by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”.
    • Updates while using boot9strap and Luma3DS are safe. However, please make sure the Luma3DS version is 10.2.1 or newer before updating.
    • If you are on arm9loaderhax (Luma3DS v7.0.5 or older), please follow A9LH to B9S.
    • If the System Update gives you an error, set your DNS settings to “auto”.
    • If the System Update still gives you an error, follow CTRTransfer, then try updating again.
  2. Perform a PC-based System Transfer as normal.
  3. Install Luma3DS and boot9strap on your new system with Nintendo Homebrew's 3DS Hacks Guide.
    • If your system already has boot9strap installed, this step is not required.
  4. Power off your device.
  5. Insert your SD card into your computer.
  6. Create a folder named '3ds' on the root of your SD card if it does not already exist.
  7. Copy faketik.3dsx to the /3ds/ folder on your SD card.
  8. Reinsert the SD card into your device.
  9. Power on your device.
  10. Open the Homebrew Launcher.
  11. Launch faketik from the list of homebrew.
  12. Wait patiently while faketik generates new tickets for your non-legitimate applications and games.
    • This may take some time if you have a lot of non-legitimate applications or games. Please be patient.
  13. Once it finishes, press START or B to exit.
  14. Close the Homebrew Launcher and return to the HOME Menu.

Your non-legitimate titles should now appear on the HOME Menu. They may be wrapped. If you have a lot of titles, you can mass-unwrap them with Cthulhu. As for your save data, it should still be intact when you start your games.

If anything is wrong with this guide, please let me know, either by replying or via DM. Thank you.

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
missing a slight detail, for new people anyways,
step one, before all that, luma needs to be updated to 9.1 before they update their systems to the latest ninty fw
Thanks, I've updated the first step. Forgot about that. :lol:

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, I've updated the first step. Forgot about that. :lol:
Nother thing. Should mention that if they are on A9lh, they should look at updating to b9s before updating to 11.9. Ive seen the odd one where a9lh works on 11.9 and others where they need to use ntrboot if they do that and cannot launch their console.

Reactions: LowEndC

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Nother thing. Should mention that if they are on A9lh, they should look at updating to b9s before updating to 11.9. Ive seen the odd one where a9lh works on 11.9 and others where they need to use ntrboot if they do that and cannot launch their console.
One would think this shouldn't be a problem today.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit update March 21, 2019 April 27, 2019 - You can use the version 1.1 1.2 CTRTransfer (Type D9) gm9 script as an alternative to the DSiWare tutorial found below.
The script has the ability to backup and restore DSiWare CIAs and saves just by themselves.

Menu Options

DSiWare CIAs & Saves
  • Restore Saves
  • Backup CIAs & Saves

For DSiWare,
  1. GodMode9, hold (R) shoulder and press (A) on [2:] SYSNAND TWLN Search for titles.
  2. Hold (L) shoulder and press (RIGHT) d-pad to highlight select all titles in yellow.
  3. Press (A) → TMD file options... → Build CIA (legit) → etc.
    • This will dump system titles and Nintendo eShop purchased titles.
  4. Press (A) on one the yellow selected titles → TMD file options... → Build CIA (standard) → etc.
    • This will dump pirated titles and homebrew apps.
  5. Press (B), go back into [2:] SYSNAND TWLN → hold (R)-shoulder and press (A) on title → Copy to 0:/gm9/out.
  6. On a computer, go in the sdmc:/gm9/out/title directory. Using the file explorer's search bar, delete all files with these extensions:
    • APP
    • CMD
    • TMD
  7. On the target system, FBI install all the DSi and DSiWare titles.
  8. GodMode9 → 0:/gm9/out/title → press (Y) to [CLIPBOARD] select the folder.
    • Press (SELECT) if selection is incorrect.
  9. Back out with (B) button. Go in the [2:] SYSNAND TWLN press (Y) → Copy path(s) ... → Overwrite files(s) etc.
    • This will import all the save files.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does this include .cia files that you made yourself?
Are you talking about 3DS titles found on the SD card? Those stay on the card when you System Transfer. You just gotta restore their fake tickets after the transfer.

For TWLN titles, you mean like official DSi games that were never available on the 3DS Nintendo eShop? Did you convert DSiWare *.nds roms into DSiWare *.cia roms and installed on your system?
Yes. the DSi game & save backup and reinstall will work for those too.

Reactions: ImmortalZypther

ImmortalZypther

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you talking about 3DS titles found on the SD card? Those stay on the card when you System Transfer. You just gotta restore their fake tickets after the transfer.

For TWLN titles, you mean like official DSi games that were never available on the 3DS Nintendo eShop? Did you convert DSiWare *.nds roms into DSiWare *.cia roms and installed on your system?
Yes. the DSi game & save backup and reinstall will work for those too.

I'm fairly sure I'm just talking about the 3DS titles found on the SD card from installing .cia files with FBI
Thanks for answering my question!

Stardust3033

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While reading the steps I got a little confused. Since my source console has a 128gb sd card and my target has the 4gb micro sd card Nintendo provides, will it still work just fine? Or will I need to purchase another 128gb for the target console?..

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
While reading the steps I got a little confused. Since my source console has a 128gb sd card and my target has the 4gb micro sd card Nintendo provides, will it still work just fine? Or will I need to purchase another 128gb for the target console?..
It depends. Can you put the 128GB SD Card into the target console? If you can, then there's no need to purchase a new SD Card. If you can not, then you will definitely need a new SD Card. This is, of course, assuming that the data on your 128GB SD Card exceeds 4GB.

Stardust3033

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends. Can you put the 128GB SD Card into the target console? If you can, then there's no need to purchase a new SD Card. If you can not, then you will definitely need a new SD Card. This is, of course, assuming that the data on your 128GB SD Card exceeds 4GB.
Yes, but all my games and data are saved on 128gb for the source console. I mean theres nothing stopping me from putting that micro sd card into the target new 2ds but i thought that the an sd card must be inserted in both consoles before preforming a transfer. Unless I'm missing something and simply inserting the sd card into the new console carries everything over.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

lone_wolf323

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, but all my games and data are saved on 128gb for the source console. I mean theres nothing stopping me from putting that micro sd card into the target new 2ds but i thought that the an sd card must be inserted in both consoles before preforming a transfer. Unless I'm missing something and simply inserting the sd card into the new console carries everything over.

The card needs to be in the source 3ds so that the encryption keys can be transfered over to the target. Once those procedures are done, you can then switch the card over to the target console.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States

Since you can insert the 128GB microSD Card into the target console, you don't need to purchase a new SD Card. Simply perform a PC-based System Transfer as normal, and when the guide tells you to copy data to the microSD Card from the target system, put your 128GB microSD Card in the target system instead. At this point, the transfer is finished and you can use faketik to restore non-legitimate titles.

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

Stardust3033

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The card needs to be in the source 3ds so that the encryption keys can be transfered over to the target. Once those procedures are done, you can then switch the card over to the target console.
Since you can insert the 128GB microSD Card into the target console, you don't need to purchase a new SD Card. Simply perform a PC-based System Transfer as normal, and when the guide tells you to copy data to the microSD Card from the target system, put your 128GB microSD Card in the target system instead. At this point, the transfer is finished and you can use faketik to restore non-legitimate titles.
Ah I see now, makes perfect sense! Thank you! I'll be sure to give it a try.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...