Tutorial  Updated

How to perform a System Transfer without losing non-legitimate titles

Nintendo 3DS System Transfer Tutorial by PrincessLillie​

"How do I do a system transfer without losing my homebrew?"
This is a question that seems to get asked a lot, so I figured I'd write a tutorial on how to do it to put an end to the countless threads.

What You Need
  • The latest release of faketik (the .3dsx file)

Instructions
  1. Ensure that both of your devices are updated by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”.
    • Updates while using boot9strap and Luma3DS are safe. However, please make sure the Luma3DS version is 10.2.1 or newer before updating.
    • If you are on arm9loaderhax (Luma3DS v7.0.5 or older), please follow A9LH to B9S.
    • If the System Update gives you an error, set your DNS settings to “auto”.
    • If the System Update still gives you an error, follow CTRTransfer, then try updating again.
  2. Perform a PC-based System Transfer as normal.
  3. Install Luma3DS and boot9strap on your new system with Nintendo Homebrew's 3DS Hacks Guide.
    • If your system already has boot9strap installed, this step is not required.
  4. Power off your device.
  5. Insert your SD card into your computer.
  6. Create a folder named '3ds' on the root of your SD card if it does not already exist.
  7. Copy faketik.3dsx to the /3ds/ folder on your SD card.
  8. Reinsert the SD card into your device.
  9. Power on your device.
  10. Open the Homebrew Launcher.
  11. Launch faketik from the list of homebrew.
  12. Wait patiently while faketik generates new tickets for your non-legitimate applications and games.
    • This may take some time if you have a lot of non-legitimate applications or games. Please be patient.
  13. Once it finishes, press START or B to exit.
  14. Close the Homebrew Launcher and return to the HOME Menu.

Your non-legitimate titles should now appear on the HOME Menu. They may be wrapped. If you have a lot of titles, you can mass-unwrap them with Cthulhu. As for your save data, it should still be intact when you start your games.

If anything is wrong with this guide, please let me know, either by replying or via DM. Thank you.

Last edited by PrincessLillie,

islislisl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, wow - long time lurker to these forums (over 10 years), but never bothered registering an account. I've always been able to search and find the info I need. Well, it's about time I registered an account, lol, was always just a matter of time.

Anyway, so I just happened to buy a replacement N3DSXL (my current N3DSXL is working fine, just wanted to switch it up and gift my current one to a family member this Christmas). Unfortunately it shipped out just a tad bit late, and instead of getting it yesterday, I'll be getting it tomorrow. GREAT TIMING, what with the new firmware drop out of nowhere, lmao. I don't feel like dealing with seedminer again, and I'm assuming my replacement will ship with a Soundhax capable firmware (it's an unopened official ninty refurb unit). I'm also just very slightly concerned that I haven't yet seen anyone confirm that seedminer works on the new firmware (although I really don't see why it wouldn't, tbh).

So anyway, before I even start anything can I first install B9S on the new unit? And after that (I don't think I'd even need to install Luma on the new console yet), only then update the system firmware on both units? (although I already updated my current N3DSXL to Luma 10.2.1 and then FW 11.14 with no problems at all). Or does the new unit need to be stock FW to do PC transfer? I haven't done a transfer in forever, if ever. But step #3 also has the extra note that if the system already has B9S installed, don't worry about the step, which makes me think I can indeed CFW the new console before initiating transfer.

Assuming I can go with my plan outlined above, after the PC transfer is done, and as mentioned earlier in this thread, I would then swap the SD card (in lieu of steps 5-8, and I already have faketik 1.1.2 which was just released on my current SD card), run the app to generate the tickets, etc.

And then of course I'm planning to run Cthulhu to unwrap everything, then restore my home menu layout which I also have saved. And I'm also guessing the SD card swap will carry over Luma3DS at that point, but I'll also want to run the updater again to install it to CTRNAND?

Thanks in advance! Sorry, this post turned out much longer than I expected, haha. As you can probably tell, I like to be very thorough.

Edit: Went ahead with the system transfer with no major problems at all. There were tiny trivial hiccup that were easily resolved. Figured I'd write about it in case anyone else ends up in a similar situation in the near future.

As suspected, my replacement refurb console was vulnerable to Soundhax (it was on 11.0.0-33U). It took all but seconds to B9S it. After installing B9S, I proceeded to install Luma3DS anyway, out of an abundance of caution, so I could also use Godmode9 to pull the NAND images. Only then did I update the system firmware to 11.14 and continue.

From here, I proceeded to do the PC-based system transfer procedure and SD card swap at the appropriate time. Afterwards, I ran Faketik and everything was restored as expected. Except for DS games installed via home menu forwarder, although this was somewhat expected since I didn't expect it to be able to recover those by title ID's. Luckily I had all of the forwarder CIA's I created still saved, so it was just a matter of reinstalling them all. Since all the save data was stored on the SD card via twlm, all my saves were still there. One more note is that Cthulhu can't batch unwrap these forwarded titles. But restoring the home menu layout did work as expected (did it both before and after reinstalling all of my forwarded titles).

So anyway, thanks for the original writeup, OP!

Last edited by islislisl,

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Hi all, wow - long time lurker to these forums (over 10 years), but never bothered registering an account. I've always been able to search and find the info I need. Well, it's about time I registered an account, lol, was always just a matter of time.

Anyway, so I just happened to buy a replacement N3DSXL (my current N3DSXL is working fine, just wanted to switch it up and gift my current one to a family member this Christmas). Unfortunately it shipped out just a tad bit late, and instead of getting it yesterday, I'll be getting it tomorrow. GREAT TIMING, what with the new firmware drop out of nowhere, lmao. I don't feel like dealing with seedminer again, and I'm assuming my replacement will ship with a Soundhax capable firmware (it's an unopened official ninty refurb unit). I'm also just very slightly concerned that I haven't yet seen anyone confirm that seedminer works on the new firmware (although I really don't see why it wouldn't, tbh).

So anyway, before I even start anything can I first install B9S on the new unit? And after that (I don't think I'd even need to install Luma on the new console yet), only then update the system firmware on both units? (although I already updated my current N3DSXL to Luma 10.2.1 and then FW 11.14 with no problems at all). Or does the new unit need to be stock FW to do PC transfer? I haven't done a transfer in forever, if ever. But step #3 also has the extra note that if the system already has B9S installed, don't worry about the step, which makes me think I can indeed CFW the new console before initiating transfer.

Assuming I can go with my plan outlined above, after the PC transfer is done, and as mentioned earlier in this thread, I would then swap the SD card (in lieu of steps 5-8, and I already have faketik 1.1.2 which was just released on my current SD card), run the app to generate the tickets, etc.

And then of course I'm planning to run Cthulhu to unwrap everything, then restore my home menu layout which I also have saved. And I'm also guessing the SD card swap will carry over Luma3DS at that point, but I'll also want to run the updater again to install it to CTRNAND?

Thanks in advance! Sorry, this post turned out much longer than I expected, haha. As you can probably tell, I like to be very thorough.

Edit: Went ahead with the system transfer with no major problems at all. There were tiny trivial hiccup that were easily resolved. Figured I'd write about it in case anyone else ends up in a similar situation in the near future.

As suspected, my replacement refurb console was vulnerable to Soundhax (it was on 11.0.0-33U). It took all but seconds to B9S it. After installing B9S, I proceeded to install Luma3DS anyway, out of an abundance of caution, so I could also use Godmode9 to pull the NAND images. Only then did I update the system firmware to 11.14 and continue.

From here, I proceeded to do the PC-based system transfer procedure and SD card swap at the appropriate time. Afterwards, I ran Faketik and everything was restored as expected. Except for DS games installed via home menu forwarder, although this was somewhat expected since I didn't expect it to be able to recover those by title ID's. Luckily I had all of the forwarder CIA's I created still saved, so it was just a matter of reinstalling them all. Since all the save data was stored on the SD card via twlm, all my saves were still there. One more note is that Cthulhu can't batch unwrap these forwarded titles. But restoring the home menu layout did work as expected (did it both before and after reinstalling all of my forwarded titles).

So anyway, thanks for the original writeup, OP!
Glad to hear everything worked out in the end.
Yeah, non-legitimate DSiWare (essentially what the forwarders are) isn't covered in this guide. I'll have to update the guide with that at some point, or maybe I could just link to TurdPooCharger's reply about it.
And uh, thanks for reminding me to change the Luma version in the OP to the latest one :rofl:

Reactions: ducadan

QuinnHanover

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good evening! Man, I really hope that I don’t get bashed for my noobishness lol. I have a Modded New 3ds XL that I have had for about a year. I really haven’t done much with it aside from adding some rom hacks here or there (mainly because I broke the back of it while trying to take the SD card out once and after having it replaced, I stayed far away from opening it again). Because I only had a 64gb SD card that is now full, I knew I wanted a larger card so I ended up getting a 256gb for Christmas (overkill I know but this is what my parents got me). I know I will have to convert the new SD card to FAT32 before I do anything to it and I’m fully prepared to do just that. The other wrench I threw in was the fact that I wanted a new 2DS xl for the SD card slot access convenience. I finally found one and when I got it, it was already modded as well. My main dilemma now is how to transfer the majority of my original SD card (main reason is because there are several programs on it I wish to keep) and some of the games from the second SD card onto the brand new SD card and putting that new SD card onto my New 2DS xl? I have looked up several guides but I’m so clueless on all of the phrases and abbreviations and I worry that I will accidentally brick something if I just pick a guide and it not actually be the right one for what I’m wanting. Any advice or help provided would be highly appreciated!!! Thank you very much!!

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Good evening! Man, I really hope that I don’t get bashed for my noobishness lol. I have a Modded New 3ds XL that I have had for about a year. I really haven’t done much with it aside from adding some rom hacks here or there (mainly because I broke the back of it while trying to take the SD card out once and after having it replaced, I stayed far away from opening it again). Because I only had a 64gb SD card that is now full, I knew I wanted a larger card so I ended up getting a 256gb for Christmas (overkill I know but this is what my parents got me). I know I will have to convert the new SD card to FAT32 before I do anything to it and I’m fully prepared to do just that. The other wrench I threw in was the fact that I wanted a new 2DS xl for the SD card slot access convenience. I finally found one and when I got it, it was already modded as well. My main dilemma now is how to transfer the majority of my original SD card (main reason is because there are several programs on it I wish to keep) and some of the games from the second SD card onto the brand new SD card and putting that new SD card onto my New 2DS xl? I have looked up several guides but I’m so clueless on all of the phrases and abbreviations and I worry that I will accidentally brick something if I just pick a guide and it not actually be the right one for what I’m wanting. Any advice or help provided would be highly appreciated!!! Thank you very much!!
Format your new SD Card to FAT32 as you said, then put the new SD Card into your 2DS. After that, simply follow the instructions in the OP.
You won't be able to keep any of the applications already installed on the 2DS's old SD Card, and if there is a way, we're not helping you with it. It's not possible to mix-and-match System Transfers like that.

Rmbl_Pakk

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is it possible to complete the PC system transfer if both 3DS systems have CFW? I'm currently doing the system transfer and I'm stuck at the step that says I should delete all of the info from the target system's SD card.

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to complete the PC system transfer if both 3DS systems have CFW? I'm currently doing the system transfer and I'm stuck at the step that says I should delete all of the info from the target system's SD card.
Yes, it's possible. Delete all the data from the target's SD Card as you're told and move the source system's data to the target system. (or better yet, simply swap the cards and negate this step entirely.)

Rmbl_Pakk

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yes, it's possible. Delete all the data from the target's SD Card as you're told and move the source system's data to the target system. (or better yet, simply swap the cards and negate this step entirely.)

Thanks for the reply! I got scared and decided to stop here because I don't want to take any risks. I'll do it ASAP and edit this post to let you know how it went.

EDIT: I did the system transfer and followed the other instructions, everything worked fine! All of my games and saves have transferred over without any issues. Thanks!

Last edited by Rmbl_Pakk,
Reactions: PrincessLillie

binarymelon

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What state does this leave the source device in? Assuming I'm going to continue using the same SD card in it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

PrincessLillie

(Future) VTuber
OP
Trophies
Website
lillie2523.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
What state does this leave the source device in? Assuming I'm going to continue using the same SD card in it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
When a system transfer is done, the source device is always formatted, regardless of whether it has CFW or not.

Reactions: binarymelon

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When a system transfer is done, the source device is always formatted, regardless of whether it has CFW or not.
I should add, just to be clear, that a system format does not remove CFW.

kaliflower

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know this is a touchy subject, but I figured it it might be better to ask in this thread than make a new one since it's related to the OP subject and what I need to know/do.

When doing a system transfer like this and in relation to CFW stuff in general does the local friend seed also transfer or does that always stay on the system itself? I'm very aware it's my fault my original device was banned and I got around it, but I cannot find ANYTHING due to google algorithm thinking Friend Seed means Friend Codes as well as general lack of info.

Reactions: Diego788

Diego788

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
I know this is a touchy subject, but I figured it it might be better to ask in this thread than make a new one since it's related to the OP subject and what I need to know/do.

When doing a system transfer like this and in relation to CFW stuff in general does the local friend seed also transfer or does that always stay on the system itself? I'm very aware it's my fault my original device was banned and I got around it, but I cannot find ANYTHING due to google algorithm thinking Friend Seed means Friend Codes as well as general lack of info.

I don't think It transfers to the new system.. the old system will format after transfer and It'll need a different friend code seed to go online, as Nintendo can detect a friend code seed being used in multiple systems (not that they care much about it right now lmao)

julez_122

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
do i need to have a second empty sd card or can i just use the old one for the new device? does the system transfer only format the 3ds or does it format the sd card too?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
do i need to have a second empty sd card or can i just use the old one for the new device? does the system transfer only format the 3ds or does it format the sd card too?
No, you do not need a second empty SD card and System Transfer does not format the card.

These are questions that have been answered before and I might suggest you spend some more time reading if you have doubts.

Reactions: PrincessLillie

Phillipos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nintendo 3DS System Transfer Tutorial by PrincessLillie​

"How do I do a system transfer without losing my homebrew?"
This is a question that seems to get asked a lot, so I figured I'd write a tutorial on how to do it to put an end to the countless threads.

What You Need
  • The latest release of faketik (the .3dsx file)

Instructions
  1. Ensure that both of your devices are updated by going to System Settings, then “Other Settings”, then going all the way to the right and using “System Update”.
    • Updates while using boot9strap and Luma3DS are safe. However, please make sure the Luma3DS version is 10.2.1 or newer before updating.
    • If you are on arm9loaderhax (Luma3DS v7.0.5 or older), please follow A9LH to B9S.
    • If the System Update gives you an error, set your DNS settings to “auto”.
    • If the System Update still gives you an error, follow CTRTransfer, then try updating again.
  2. Perform a PC-based System Transfer as normal.
  3. Install Luma3DS and boot9strap on your new system with Nintendo Homebrew's 3DS Hacks Guide.
    • If your system already has boot9strap installed, this step is not required.
  4. Power off your device.
  5. Insert your SD card into your computer.
  6. Create a folder named '3ds' on the root of your SD card if it does not already exist.
  7. Copy faketik.3dsx to the /3ds/ folder on your SD card.
  8. Reinsert the SD card into your device.
  9. Power on your device.
  10. Open the Homebrew Launcher.
  11. Launch faketik from the list of homebrew.
  12. Wait patiently while faketik generates new tickets for your non-legitimate applications and games.
    • This may take some time if you have a lot of non-legitimate applications or games. Please be patient.
  13. Once it finishes, press START or B to exit.
  14. Close the Homebrew Launcher and return to the HOME Menu.

Your non-legitimate titles should now appear on the HOME Menu. They may be wrapped. If you have a lot of titles, you can mass-unwrap them with Cthulhu. As for your save data, it should still be intact when you start your games.

If anything is wrong with this guide, please let me know, either by replying or via DM. Thank you.
Does this work if transferring between New 3DS/New 3DS XL systems (since it doesn't have the PC-Based Transfer option)?

StickMan64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've ordered a japanese New 3ds to replace my english new 3ds xl. I'm assuming with the region differences I can't just do the transfer first. Is it possible that I can do steps 2 and 3 out of order (as in, install homebrew on Japanese 3ds and then transfer) so that I can change the region via homebrew and have the two systems be able to communicate?

StickMan64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW does not transfer with System Transfer, if that's what you're asking. Likewise, a system with CFW installed will still have CFW installed after a System Transfer or System Format.
I know that. I'm just afraid I won't be able to perform a System Transfer if the 2 systems aren't the same region.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Tandem even
    i think i heard of that, it's a good idea, shouldn't need a dedicated GPU just to run a LLM or video upscaling
    even the nvidia shield tv has AI video upscaling
    LLMs can be run on cpu anyway but it's quite slow
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Have you ever been beaten by a wet spaghetti noodle by your girlfriend because she has a twin sister, and you got confused and fucked her dad?
    I had a girlfriend who had a twin sister and they would mess with me constantly.... Until one chipped a tooth then finally I could tell them apart.... Lol
    They would have the same hair style the same clothes everything... Really messed with my head lol
    @The Real Jdbye, I could see AMD trying to pull off the CPU GPU tandem thing, would be a way to maybe close the gap a bit with Nvidia. Plus it would kinda put Nvidia at a future disadvantage since Nvidia can't make X86/64 CPUs? Intel and AMD licensing issues... I wonder how much that has held back innovation.
    i don't think nvidia wants to get in the x64 cpu market anyways
    you've seen how much intel is struggling getting into the gpu market
    and nvidia is already doing ARM
    i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i don't think they want to take more focus away from their gpus