Tutorial  Updated

How to Patch & Run a Modded Super Mario Bros. Wii on the Wii U

I DO NOT INCLUDE ANY GAME DUMPS YOU WILL NEED TO SOURCE YOUR OWN.

Let me start off by saying -
I struggled for a little while correctly patching mods into this game and getting it working the Wii U and I finally figured it out so sharing here so others don't have to sift and read numerous other threads on the process that uses patched memory addresses as these usually work fine on the Dolphin Emu but cause issues on the vWii without Riivoloution injection however after enough reading I found how to build them with patched memory offsets to correctly run.

This guide has a Cloud Drive URL which contains popular modpacks and two versions of the required tool.
If you prefer to get some mods directly from Newer Team then Click Here

I am unable to get any of the current Wii U injection tools to pack the ISO into a WUP but here are the steps to make a patched game for vWii via WiiFlow.

TL;DR Guide Colour Table :rofl:
Get This
Warn
Recommend/Intermediate Step
Run This

Patching a Modded, New Super Marios Bro. Wii
  • Grab this at Mod ISO Builder 1.06 or use my Google Drive which has an alternative newer version.
  • You need to drag the contents of the mod packs into your extracted builder and yes you can put them all in at one time provided zero overwrite conflicts.
  • Your installation should look like this.
View attachment 306959
  • You need to use an NSBW ISO that is not scrubbed it has to be the full 4.4GB or something ISO without any partitions removed I tried the scrubbed ones they don't work, The region does not matter.​
  • Run Build.ISO and follow the prompts I recommend you use the option to use an individual save and then when it is done it will throw a scrubbed ISO into the ISO/ or WBFS/ depending on which you choose as an output. I recommend .wbfs format as the output as this can be moved to the vWii.

I tested this build method and it works in Dolphin Emulator for all of the following Newer Team mods.
    Newer Holiday Special, Newer Falling Leaf, Summer Sun, Newer NSBW, Another NSBW
Getting the Modded NSMB onto the vWii
This assumes you have already got CFW running on your vWii if not follow the appropriate guide for that first.

Your patched game will need to be a WBFS format title, not ISO or this will not work with this method.
  • Grab yourself the latest WiiFlow and install that on your vWii.
  • Make a new folder called WBFS/ on the root of the SD and copy your patched .wbfs game into it. (needed so wiiflow can find the game)
  • Launch WiiFlow and you should now have your games that work.
Result:
20220424_144728.jpg
20220424_152419.jpg

Last edited by Misunderstood Wookie,

Misunderstood Wookie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am currently looking for a better way, it has come to my attention the patches retain the same title ID so injecting the theme is not working as for why or how to fix it, that is what I am trying to figure out.

For the interim, I believe it may be possible to fwd a channel from Wii U to a Wii Flow Channel on vWii created for each modded title.

bacon612

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am currently looking for a better way, it has come to my attention the patches retain the same title ID so injecting the theme is not working as for why or how to fix it, that is what I am trying to figure out.

For the interim, I believe it may be possible to fwd a channel from Wii U to a Wii Flow Channel on vWii created for each modded title.
I had a thought earlier. I have downloaded UWUVCI AIO but haven't used it yet. TeconMoons injector allows you to change the game ID. I was wondering if you could just choose game IDS from a list of ones you would never play or inject. So, the wiiu would accept the Game ID as legit but your have to assign ones to each mod. Is this a reasonable possibility or am I missing something?

Misunderstood Wookie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a thought earlier. I have downloaded UWUVCI AIO but haven't used it yet. TeconMoons injector allows you to change the game ID. I was wondering if you could just choose game IDS from a list of ones you would never play or inject. So, the wiiu would accept the Game ID as legit but your have to assign ones to each mod. Is this a reasonable possibility or am I missing something?
When you build the WBFS or ISO with the ISO Patcher it gives you a choice of which Save Slot name to use or you can input a custom value. Default it will use the original save slot, but you can use the alternative save slot ID or Custom Slot

As for the Game Name, you can name how it shows up in the System Menu however you wish but that won't change the Save Slot used, you must build the patched ISO with a modified Save slot ID as described above.

Here is an example of the option presented to you during patching.
Screenshot 2022-04-26 173750.jpg

You probably want to use the Custom Slot so input value 2,

You won't have it sharing the original unpatched game saves anymore. :)

bacon612

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you build the WBFS or ISO with the ISO Patcher it gives you a choice of which Save Slot name to use or you can input a custom value. Default it will use the original save slot, but you can use the alternative save slot ID or Custom Slot

As for the Game Name, you can name how it shows up in the System Menu however you wish but that won't change the Save Slot used, you must build the patched ISO with a modified Save slot ID as described above.

Here is an example of the option presented to you during patching.
View attachment 307589
You probably want to use the Custom Slot so input value 2,

You won't have it sharing the original unpatched game saves anymore. :)

Maybe we are talking about two different things. When used the mod iso builder, I did use custom save slots. Even so, when i inject falling leaf, it works. But, if i try to inject summer sun after, it overwrites falling leaf. I think that I know that this is happening because in the wiiu menu, my falling leaf icon is gone and gets replaced with a '?'. When I attempt to load the game, it says that its corrupted and to go to data management where I can delete it. Id also like to add that these mods also do the same to my injection of NSMB Wii no mod.

Misunderstood Wookie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe we are talking about two different things. When used the mod iso builder, I did use custom save slots. Even so, when i inject falling leaf, it works. But, if i try to inject summer sun after, it overwrites falling leaf. I think that I know that this is happening because in the wiiu menu, my falling leaf icon is gone and gets replaced with a '?'. When I attempt to load the game, it says that its corrupted and to go to data management where I can delete it. Id also like to add that these mods also do the same to my injection of NSMB Wii no mod.

I see now.
Yeah you got further than I did, I cannot get a single injection tool to MAKE an inject into a ISO or WBFS of any of those mods.
I just run directly the WBFS game data file off the SD Card, via WiiFlow directly in the VWii by launching WiiFlow from Homebrew launcher.

If you wanna share how you managed to make an inject that be great both UWUVCI AIO and Techmoon for me just give me random missing xyz.iso errors when I press the inject button. I don't even get too them far enough to build the wup installable.

I can see what is going on though now... yah it would inject and pack them as the exact same title ID so it would straight up override but that said I have injected multiple of the same GAME before and it worked just fine.

You could try using a different region ISO base that would have a different titleID or you will have to edit the title ID yourself with some tool prior to inject.

El_Misterioso

CIA Agent
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I injected Newer Super Mario Bros Wii only with a patched iso and UWUVC injector

asturnauta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It seems Newer team has patched v.1.30 to block the iso builder, but i could make an wbfs file with v1.30 mod and replacing the loader.bin file with the v.1.20 version

Reactions: cvskid

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the version 1.07 allows for building iso or wbfs, which work with the wii/vWii. however, i cannot get any wii u injection tools to recognize the modded .iso

UWUVCI says it is missing pre.iso and tecnomoon's injector results in solid blue screen for me when booting in console. i have used the option recover to iso with an nkit.gcz, and used the full 4.75gb file to make the modded iso, but just can't inject it. any ideas? thanks.

note- the modded iso/wbfs did load for me in usb loader gx

Xflagman

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I downloaded the NSMBW Mod ISO Builder ZIP file, and I placed the ISO file of New Super Mario Bros. Wii .

But・・・・・・,
Inevitably, the message "No supported base images found, exiting..." is displayed and I can't proceed.
What should I do?

Attachments

• 1680863030942.png
    1680863030942.png
    64.7 KB · Views: 42

Misunderstood Wookie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I downloaded the NSMBW Mod ISO Builder ZIP file, and I placed the ISO file of New Super Mario Bros. Wii .

But・・・・・・,
Inevitably, the message "No supported base images found, exiting..." is displayed and I can't proceed.
What should I do?
Taken Directly from the NSMBW Mod ISO Builder website
Possible Known Issue: I believe I have resolved this, but have not tested. .iso output seems to be bugged for some people, the resulting .iso is good for use by backup manager to transfer to USB HDD, but trying to load it directly (via burned disc, or emulator, etc.) seems to fail, unsure why. .wbfs output file seems to work perfectly though.
I have only tested on USA and EURO versions of a clean ISO

Post automatically merged:

I did the same. I believe I picked custom save slot but I'm not 100% on that.

Edit: It looks like they patched out using this method for 1.30 but it works for 1.20
Custom save slot is what I used eventually as-well

Last edited by Misunderstood Wookie,

Amelia1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
It seems Newer team has patched v.1.30 to block the iso builder, but i could make an wbfs file with v1.30 mod and replacing the loader.bin file with the v.1.20 version
It appears that the Newer team has patched v1.30 to prevent ISO building. However, a workaround involves creating a WBFS file using v1.30 mod and substituting the loader.bin with the v1.20 version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I know. Nice to see new members here, aside from the ongoing spam problem.