Hacking how to partition a HD so it works on window and the wii

HexaUK

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you create a patition and format it as something windows can use (fat32, ntfs etc) and then create an unformated simple volume and use the wii to format it, you can use the ntfs/fat32 partition in windows and the wii file system partition on the wii.

For example, I have a 500gb ximeta usb enclosure. I created a 340GB ntfs partition and used the remainder to create a 110GB simple volume and did not format it. I then used the wii to format the 110GB partition to wbfs.

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
cheatmaster5 said:
i want my HD to work on the wii and my computer
can that be done

yes it can

1. plug your usb device in pc.
2. in start menu/run menu type compmgmt.msc (for xp dunno if its different for vista)
3. in storage menu to left select disk management.
4. select the device, right click and choose delete partition
5. now click it again and choose create partition
6. create the partition as a primary NTFS and select how much space to allocate and assign a drive letter. i have a 320gb hdd so i just used 160gb giving wii and pc half.
7.Now use a wbfs program to format the drive making sure to select the correct drive letter and make the partition wbfs.
9. when its done run compmgmt.msc again.
10. select the device again and select the space thats unallocated.
11. choose create partition and repeat steps 3 - 6 again.

your done both drive letters should show up in pc DO NOT SELECT THE drive letter you gave to wii. if you do it will ask you to format and you lose wiis WBFS.

now just use the wbfs of your choice to transfer ISO over to the drive letter you selected for wii storage. the other space you can use for pc stuff.

EASY

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On my WD 750GB HDD I created two partitions, both NTFS, 575GB and 125GB. The Wii asked which partition I wanted to format and I formatted the 125GB one. So I suppose it can be formatted to WBFS from NTFS. Give it a try.

dmonkey21

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
yes you can. The windows program acts in the same way as the Wii does in USb Loader. Just tell the windows program to use the drive that is formatted to WBFS (It should be the drive letter that Windows says "needs to be formatted" if you look in My Computer. If it doesn't show up, you probably forgot to give it a drive letter when you created the partition, open up disk management and rename the partition and it should work).

qbert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Bladexdsl said:
cheatmaster5 said:
i want my HD to work on the wii and my computer
can that be done

yes it can

2. in start menu/run menu type compmgmt.msc (for xp dunno if its different for vista)
6. create the partition as a primary NTFS and select how much space to allocate and assign a drive letter. i have a 320gb hdd so i just used 160gb giving wii and pc half.
7. when its done plug the device into the wii and run iso launcher
8. it will ask to format say YES
9. when its done put device back into pc and run compmgmt.msc again. you can skip these steps by using a wbfs program to format also.

your done both drive letters should show up in pc DO NOT SELECT THE drive letter you gave to wii. if you do it will ask you to format and you lose wiis WBFS.

now just use the wbfs of your choice to transfer ISO over to the drive letter you selected for wii storage. the other space you can use for pc stuff.

EASY

My HDD is 2.5 MEDIACOM Samsung HM3200 USB device - 320 GB

It's ok up to point 8. The loader is able to format correctly the hdd but when I connect it to PC, WBFS tool doesn't recognize it, not even re-format. Not even if it has pre-formatted in ntfs. Any idea?

shanefromoz

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
dmonkey21 said:
yes you can. The windows program acts in the same way as the Wii does in USb Loader. Just tell the windows program to use the drive that is formatted to WBFS (It should be the drive letter that Windows says "needs to be formatted" if you look in My Computer. If it doesn't show up, you probably forgot to give it a drive letter when you created the partition, open up disk management and rename the partition and it should work).

Hi,

I have a toshiba 160gb portable hard drive that i connected to the wii and formatted using usb loader.
When i plug it in to my desktop pc with xp it cant see the drive but when i plug it into my laptop with vista it can see it.
Do you know how i can fix it so it can be seen in xp?
Also i got told to format with fat32 first then wbfs and it should see it would that work?

Cheers

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
ok dont use the loader to format its crap do this instead

7.Now use a wbfs program to format the drive making sure to select the correct drive letter and make the partition wbfs.
9. when its done run compmgmt.msc again.

if you already used loader run compmgmt.msc delete the partition and start again.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Bladexdsl said:
shanefromoz said:
What im saying is that when i connect to pc with xp it will not see the drive but with vista it will.
weird vista must format different
As far as I can see it is all just a Vista problem. Everything works just fine when I`m using my XP-PC... But when I try to use my Vista-Notebook I get the "could not upen drive: no error"-error... So there is something in Vista, that doesn`t let the tool to use the partition...

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Master Mo said:
Bladexdsl said:
shanefromoz said:
What im saying is that when i connect to pc with xp it will not see the drive but with vista it will.
weird vista must format different
As far as I can see it is all just a Vista problem. Everything works just fine when I`m using my XP-PC... But when I try to use my Vista-Notebook I get the "could not upen drive: no error"-error... So there is something in Vista, that doesn`t let the tool to use the partition...

that's why i never upgraded

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16