How to parse H.264 Video Signal from WiiU to standard video format

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by didix16, Jun 30, 2016.

1. didix16
    OP

didix16 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Hi guys. I'm doing a kinda bridge for communicate the wiiU with a web browser control intrerface to use the browser as the wiiU gamepad. However now I'm stuck at video parsing.
    According to this documentation:

http://libdrc.org/docs/installation.html#patched-dependencies
    http://libdrc.org/docs/re/sc-vstrm.html

The wiiU uses a specific H.264 codec and I don't understand exactly how it works. I need some way to convert that specific H.264 to a standard video codec to be played on a web browser as streaming.

Any ideas of how can I convert it? Actually I'm getting the incoming packets from wiiU (not from wifi but wiiU - wiiPad protocol)

Thanks in advance :)

2. CreeperMario

CreeperMario GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 18, 2016
    Australia
    OSv10 v15702
    Actually, I'm kinda interested in this myself.
    The libdrc setup instructions teach you how to install a patched version of the x264 encoder, which is normally used to send data to the Wii U GamePad, but should be able to be used the other way.

You will probably need to set up a direct connection between your computer and Wii U console to do this (again, part of libdrc), unless you can sniff at the network packets fast enough.

3. didix16
    OP

didix16 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Thanks for you replay. Yeah actually I have the patched x264 encoder and also I'm paired to wiiU with the Wifi dongle RT2800. At the moment I'm getting the UDP packets of video-streaming protocol but I don't know how to parse them, I mean get the video encoded data and convert into standard video data.

4. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    So wait... Everything we see on the gamepad is just an on-the-fly H.264 encoded video?
    I always assumed the Wii U just sent the raw video data to the gamepad via the proprietary radio it uses.

CreeperMario likes this.
  5. didix16
    OP

didix16 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Yup, it uses a modified H.264 codec, as I understand, they modify the Video Coding Layer (VCL) (but I don't understand it so much) in some manner, so if we could understand how it works we can convert it to any standard and show the video data in browser

Last edited by didix16, Jul 1, 2016
  6. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    What would the overall benefit of this be exactly... Using a computer browser to stream the bottom screen video?

7. didix16
    OP

didix16 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2015
    Not just for streaming. The purpose is to make the browser like wiiUPad, using your computer to play the wiiU. Also you will be able to play over internet conecting to the web interface making possible to play out of your home. Of course your computer must be paired to wiiU and both must be on.
    I'm experimenting with raspberry PI2 as bridge, connected to wiiU

Last edited by didix16, Jul 1, 2016
    CreeperMario likes this.
  8. bartekowca666

bartekowca666 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 19, 2014
    Poland
    BiaƂogard
    Damn, that looks so interesting. Hoping for more progress.

didix16 likes this.
  9. kostas sfirakis

kostas sfirakis GBAtemp Regular

Sep 14, 2015
    Greece
    crete
    That would be cool for ppl who want to make videos or stream

didix16 likes this.