Hacking how to open .tpk files

kaikaiser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's a new question, how do you open .tpk files? I have a psp game file that is a script but is .tpk there are other different files that are also the same extension for similar files. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by kaikaiser,

zero_g_monkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What game is it from? The .tpk file is commonly used by Imageepoch. Sometimes they are compressed, sometimes they are not. But they almost always use utf-8 encoding for dialogs.

kaikaiser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bingo it's : final promise story by imageepoch prequel to sol trigger. There are quite a few files with this.

JamRules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In this case Final Promise Story files aren't compressed, which actually makes it a pain for sizing.

The game doesn't have a full English font set, you'll need to modify the games fonts (there's 2). A VWF hack is also needed (if you want it to look any good)

Example of what I mean by not having a full english set
screen00219.jpg

The .tpk is different to the one in unchained blades, that's most likely a "texture pack", its a set of pointers followed by .gim images

Last edited by JamRules,

zero_g_monkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can second what Jam is saying. Final Promise Story is gonna be a pain to work on unless you have some really good programming skills. The space is there for dialog "if" you can add single width latin characters to the font but it is really annoying have to use the 3 byte utf-8 full width characters. Trust, I have this game in my project folder when I want to get pissed off at my computer. A quick way to tell if the file is a typical .tpk is use the search function in your hex editor and look for ZZZ0 <- That is a zero by the way. If you find ZZZ0 somewhere in the file, it's got some compression. It won't always be at the beginning either. There is a QuickBMS script for opening files like that but getting them back together is beyond me at the moment. I will offer any advice I can but I can't offer any hacking help. I have 6 different games I am working on at this moment.

Reactions: JamRules

JamRules

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is loads of problems for this game,
the cutscenes are also 2 lines and randomly mess up depending on the text you use so some asm hacking is needed to fix that.
It's kinda on my todo list, maybe in 2017...
I vaguely know what I'm doing

screen00484.jpg

kaikaiser

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow OK I think I'll pass too I'm still trying to figure all of this out and that's way passed my abilities, but thanks for the info. Maybe latter I could help in a translation or something let me know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1