Hacking Question How to move SD EmuNAND to Hidden Partition (Windows 10)?

shado9573

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Hello All,
I recently installed EmuNAND on my system to the SD card.
The reason I used SD card was because everytime I installed EmuNAND to Hidden Partition was because I got a Boot.dat Error.
I referred to this guide on how to move EmuNAND: https://gbatemp.net/threads/moving-...nd-to-2-4-sd-hidden-partition-emunand.526130/
but this seems to be a related to Mac Terminals.
Can anyone help me transfer my EmuNAND to Hidden Partition.
And is it general more safe to use EmuNAND on Hidden Partition rather than on SD card displaying the whole files?

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
this post is for windows
basically same thing, you just need to replace /Volumes/??? or /dev/??? to \\?\Device\Harddisk?\Partition?

On Windows the commands should be:
Read the first 1024 bytes
Code:
dd if=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 of=first1024.bin bs=1024 count=1
Concatenate emunand files
Code:
copy /b first1024.bin + boot0.bin + boot1.bin + full.00.bin + full.01.bin + full.02.bin + full.03.bin + full.04.bin + full.05.bin + full.06.bin + full.07.bin emunand.bin
Write emunand on the sd card
Code:
dd if=emunand.bin of=\\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 bs=2M --progress
Obviously you have to specify the correct disk/partition and paths

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
yes, but be careful not to point to the wrong disk
do not use \\?\Device\Harddisk1\Partition0 as most of the time it's your OS disk
use diskpart to figure out the disk and partition number

massijay

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So I run CMD as admin?
then copy from dd to the end of the text?
and specify disk paths?
First, make a backup of your SD card, then create a new emunand (hidden partition on sd card) with sx os.
After, you have to download and extract this http://www.chrysocome.net/dd then copy your emunand files (the ones you have made backup before) in the same directory of dd.exe, open command prompt as administrator in that location and then run the commands above. In this way you are going to overwrite the new emunand you just created with the old one from your files.

Last edited by massijay,

shado9573

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
First, make a backup of your SD card, then create a new emunand (hidden partition on sd card) with sx os.
After, you have to download and extract this http://www.chrysocome.net/dd then copy your emunand files (the ones you have made backup before) in the same directory of dd.exe, open command prompt as administrator in that location and then run the commands above. In this way you are going to overwrite the new emunand you just created with the old one from your files.
Im very noobish at this and can you like guide me step by step.
I honestly do not understand what to do.
I can tell you about some info like name of SD is SDXC.
H is the Driver letter
User Folder is 123.
Im sorry but really noobish and stupid at this. Need a step by step guide literally.
So it states (diskpart) that that my sd card is Disk 1 and it has partition is stated as 1.(Since im using SD emuNAND).
So a guide will be nice sorry for being noobish.
The thread is kind of confusing and I cannot seem to know how to run dd even though I have it downloaded. LOL.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
Im very noobish at this and can you like guide me step by step.
I honestly do not understand what to do.
I can tell you about some info like name of SD is SDXC.
H is the Driver letter
User Folder is 123.
Im sorry but really noobish and stupid at this. Need a step by step guide literally.
So it states (diskpart) that that my sd card is Disk 1 and it has partition is stated as 1.(Since im using SD emuNAND).
So a guide will be nice sorry for being noobish.
The thread is kind of confusing and I cannot seem to know how to run dd even though I have it downloaded. LOL.
backup the content of your SD card
use SX loader on your switch to create a new emunand, but pick hidden partition now instead of SD file
then use diskpart to get your disk and partition number, double check if it's the correct one
next open command prompt on your PC and run dd using the command above

I get it that this post is not noob friendly, but this is the best I can do at the moment

shado9573

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
backup the content of your SD card
use SX loader on your switch to create a new emunand, but pick hidden partition now instead of SD file
then use diskpart to get your disk and partition number, double check if it's the correct one
next open command prompt on your PC and run dd using the command above

I get it that this post is not noob friendly, but this is the best I can do at the moment
Sure okay. I'll take it and thanks anyways.
but do I need to place dd somewhere or just open CMD? then point to dd file?

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
put dd somewhere, then open command prompt as admin and navigate to the directory where you put dd

dd.PNG

Fusion

On/Off GBA-Temp'er
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
Also if you just want it hidden from view, you can right click the file/folder etc. & click properties and then tick the hidden box. Apply and ok to be done.

shado9573

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
Thanks All for the Help. Will try this.
Because whenever I made Hidden EmuNAND it gave me the boot.dat error.
So I decided to go with SD Files and try manually moving it.
And CMD used to be my cup of tea in the past but I guess I forgot now.

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks All for the Help. Will try this.
Because whenever I made Hidden EmuNAND it gave me the boot.dat error.
So I decided to go with SD Files and try manually moving it.
And CMD used to be my cup of tea in the past but I guess I forgot now.
have you try replacing the boot.dat?
after you did the emunand, it'll automatically copy a boot.dat on the second partition (one that readable by windows explorer)

try delete that and replace using the zip file

shado9573

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
have you try replacing the boot.dat?
after you did the emunand, it'll automatically copy a boot.dat on the second partition (one that readable by windows explorer)

try delete that and replace using the zip file
Already did that and extracted boot.dat to the root of my SD card.
Kept on getting the same error.

t1op

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I need some total noob help here on a closely related project.
I need a tutorial on going from sysNAND with NSP installed to emuNAND on a hidden partition with all data transferred over.

So far..
Backed up my NAND when I first started using custom firmware.
Backed up my saves today with Checkpoint.
Put boot.dat onto a virgin SD card.
Created emuNAND on a hidden partition.

Now I want to transfer everything from my old SD card to the new hidden emuNAND. How do I need to modify these instructions with no previous emuNAND installed?
Once I get everything transferred over, I assume I restore my original sysNAND.
Then I need to update the system since I have burned fuses. Will booting into SXOS still work?
I'm guessing I should do a system restore just to be safe.
Since this will be for going online can I now just connect to the internet and update like normal? I'm guessing I don't want to use choidujournx since homebrew leaves a trace behind it.
Last question. I still want to use my emuNAND for additional NSP from time to time. How do I get them on the card to install? Please tell me there is an easier way than using DD again. Complicated command line work for every NSP will make me rethink whether having emuNAND is worth it.
(Not sure if I should have started a new thread for this, but I thought I might just get pointed back to this thread.)

shado9573

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Pakistan
I need a tutorial on going from sysNAND with NSP installed to emuNAND on a hidden partition with all data transferred over.

So far..

Now I want to transfer everything from my old SD card to the new hidden emuNAND. How do I need to modify these instructions with no previous emuNAND installed?
Then I need to update the system since I have burned fuses. Will booting into SXOS still work?
Since this will be for going online can I now just connect to the internet and update like normal? I'm guessing I don't want to use choidujournx since homebrew leaves a trace behind it.
Last question. I still want to use my emuNAND for additional NSP from time to time. How do I get them on the card to install? Please tell me there is an easier way than using DD again. Complicated command line work for every NSP will make me rethink whether having emuNAND is worth it.
(Not sure if I should have started a new thread for this, but I thought I might just get pointed back to this thread.)
Is hidden EmuNAND working on your switch?
I personally recommend to use SD EmuNAND as its way more convenient and also since I move tons of files around since there is no way nintendo can detect it otherwise thats just a violation to access an SD card.

t1op

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is hidden EmuNAND working on your switch?
I personally recommend to use SD EmuNAND as its way more convenient and also since I move tons of files around since there is no way nintendo can detect it otherwise thats just a violation to access an SD card.
I get that, but I assume that the whole reason we have the hidden option is because nintendo can choose to look at your sd card if they want to and then your system is banned permanently.
Isn't there a new way to install NSP directly from your computer without transferring via USB?

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
wow lots of questions, let me see if I can answer some of them

So far..
that's correct

since I believe during emunand creation all files will be deleted, so you need to backup Nintendo folder first. then after creating emunand, copy it back to SD card and rename it to Emutendo
so currently your sysnand is on 6.2.0 and your clean backup is below 6.2.0?
if that so, you won't be able to boot your sysnand using OFW. but you can if you use any CFW (SX OS, atmosphere)
no clue
just boot to emunand and install as usual. no need to use dd

t1op

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow lots of questions, let me see if I can answer some of them

that's correct

since I believe during emunand creation all files will be deleted, so you need to backup Nintendo folder first. then after creating emunand, copy it back to SD card and rename it to Emutendo

so currently your sysnand is on 6.2.0 and your clean backup is below 6.2.0?
if that so, you won't be able to boot your sysnand using OFW. but you can if you use any CFW (SX OS, atmosphere)

no clue

just boot to emunand and install as usual. no need to use dd

Thanks Garou, however, it appears that you are not addressing the part about the new emuNAND being on a hidden partition. Windows doesn't recognize the partition so I can't just copy the Nintendo folder and NSPs like normal. The focus of this thread is how to do that on a hidden partition.
My related questions are how do I do that differently than above since I am not transferring an emuNAND, just all my SD contents that were active on my sysNAND, and can I avoid repeating this complicated process to install NSP in the future.
(I was also asking about how to safely update my restored NAND since it is below the current firmware and my fuses are burned.)

Garou

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Garou, however, it appears that you are not addressing the part about the new emuNAND being on a hidden partition. Windows doesn't recognize the partition so I can't just copy the Nintendo folder and NSPs like normal. The focus of this thread is how to do that on a hidden partition.
My related questions are how do I do that differently than above since I am not transferring an emuNAND, just all my SD contents that were active on my sysNAND, and can I avoid repeating this complicated process to install NSP in the future.
(I was also asking about how to safely update my restored NAND since it is below the current firmware and my fuses are burned.)
everything that was in your SD card when you're using sysnand also in SD card when you're using emunand
the difference is just emunand uses Emutendo folder while sysnand use Nintendo folder, but both are in SD card. only tickets get installed to emunand hidden partition, but most of the time you don't need to directly mess with that
if you want to install NSP on emunand, you just copy the NSP to SD card as usual, boot to emunand, install using any app you prefer, done. the tickets will be installed to emunand in SD card hidden partition, and the game data will be written to Emutendo folder on SD card

can't give you any answer for updating sysnand with fuse count mismatch since I've never done that

t1op

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry if I have misunderstood.
So to copy contents from my old SD card to the new SD card with the hidden emunand, how specifically do I do that? I can't see my hidden emunand when I plug the SD card into my computer.

And then I just rename the Nintendo folder to Emutendo, right? And then everything will be the same as before on the emunand as it was on the sysnand?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 🦌🐑 🦛🐦 (🐑🐑) +1