Tutorial  Updated

How to modify Minecraft: Bedrock Edition (Infinite Chunks, Custom Assets, etc)

Since this version is a direct port of PE/W10/Xbone, the possibility of things like this are the same. Minecraft: BE stores things in save files the same across W10 and Switch, so, you can basically add any skin pack, texture/resource pack, and world you want. You can also change the GFX settings beyond their limits.
---

Requirements:
Checkpoint / Any save dumper/restore tool.
Minecraft BE (obviously)
Hekate / Any way to launch Homebrew
---
Universal Steps: (These are steps that you need to take regardless of what you're trying to do.)

1. First, open Minecraft and make a change to any setting so that it definitely creates a config file, as well as a save file.

2. Restart your switch into RCM and boot to your favorite Homebrew launcher.

3. Open your save dumper (ex. Checkpoint) and Dump / Backup your save for Minecraft: BE (not Nintendo Switch edition if you have the old version)

4. Turn off your switch, and open your SD card on your PC. (You can use Rajkosto's memloader payload to access your micro-sd from your PC. You also need Hacdiskmount from Rajkosto.)

5. Navigate to "sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave".

6. This is the folder that you are going to be modifying.

Custom Skin Pack Steps:
1. Download this YouTuber skin pack. This is going to be the base for your own.

2. Open the downloaded .mcpack file in something like WinRAR.

3. Choose someone's skin to replace, and remember the name EXACTLY.

4. Delete it, and place your own skin in there. (MUST be in .png format)

5. Rename it to exactly what the person you deleted was. (Example: skin2945274983.png is now truemu.png)

6. Close the .mcpack archive, and place it in "sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave/skin_packs"

7. You now have your custom skin pack with your replaced skin(s).

8. Re-inject save file using Checkpoint if you are done modifying.

Infinite Chunks / Custom Video Settings

(Note: Your game may slow down if you increase your GFX limits. I haven't noticed it, though.)
1. Navigate to "sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave/minecraftpe" and open "options.txt" in something like Notepad ++.

(I'll only be showing you how to change render distance / chunks.)

2. Look for the line gfx_viewdistance:xxx.

3. Whatever your number is right now, dividing it by 16 will equal your in-game render distance. So, if you want 24 chunks as your render distance (instead of the max 14), you would enter 384. (384 ÷ 16 = 24, or 24 x 16 = 384. | 24 is our intended render distance.)

4. Once you enter your intended render distance (384 in my case) go ahead and save the file and you're done. Feel free to mess around further.

5. Re-inject save file using Checkpoint if you are done modifying.

Custom Texture/Resource Packs
(Note: Some resource packs will cause your game to error out, and will always error out upon opening, making it unplayable. Just re-inject the save file, since the broken resource pack wasn't applied at the time of backing up, obviously. I've only seen this happen when using "shader" packs. They're bullshit.)

1. Download your resource pack(s) of choice. Always try to use .mcpack format.

I haven't tested zips/folders, but, if you can only find a zip, and not an .mcpack file: extract the zipped texture pack into a folder with an appropriate name. (Ex. Faithful64.zip would have a folder named Faithful64.) Then, extract all files in the zip (one should be named pack_icon.png unless it doesn't have an icon) and place the extracted files in the root of that new folder. Place that "Faithful64" (example) folder into
"sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave/games/com.mojang/resource_packs". The resource pack, if done correctly, may now show up in game.

2. If using a .mcpack (recommended), simply place it in "sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave/games/com.mojang/resource_packs". Your resource pack should now appear in the "Resource Packs" section of the menu in-game.

3. Re-inject save file using Checkpoint if you are done modifying.

Custom/Ported Worlds from other Versions
Ported from PE / Windows 10:

1. Your world can either be a world from PE/Windows 10 (random letters/numbers/symbols folder) or a downloader world. (.mcworld)

2. If its ported from PE/W10, just simply drop the folder in "sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave/games/com.mojang/minecraftWorlds".

4. The world should then show up in Minecraft.

Downloaded (.mcworld format file):

5. If it's in .mcworld format, open it in something like WinRAR, and extract it to the root of an appropriately named folder. (DropperWorld.mcworld would have a folder named DropperWorld.)

6. Drop that newly created folder, with all the files from the .mcworld in it, into "sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave/games/com.mojang/minecraftWorlds".

7. Re-inject save file using Checkpoint if you are done modifying.

8. The world should then show up in Minecraft.

That's it! You now have a custom skin pack, custom resource pack, and modified video settings. You can also add custom worlds, probably using the .mcpack format, but I'm not sure since I haven't tested. I'll edit the post if I'm able to drag-and-drop one of my world from the Windows 10 Edition into the minecraftWorlds folder on the sdcard.

Edit: Yep, you can also add custom worlds to this version! I dragged and dropped one from Windows 10 Editon, and it worked just fine. It was also from an older version of the game...

Edit 2: Warning from a user on Reddit: ALWAYS keep a backup, because apparently you can't just restore a save with just the mcpack and nothing else, otherwise your worlds and Xbox Live connection will be lost. You need to import the entire save folder altogether, including your worlds and other data. (Obviously I made a backup so I didn't lose anything.)

Last edited by GalaxyYT,

BlastedGuy9905

where's the updated autopsy report
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Who knows.
Its possible. Though, its also possible that the game thinks of it as a platform restricted skin and doesnt allow you to use it online. I didnt get my skin to appear in game, but I did get that message showing up.
My skin worked. It showed up. Though, it's using Xbox Live for online. It might ban me but only from there.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I haven't tested zips/folders, but, if you can only find a zip, and not an .mcpack file: extract the zipped texture pack into a folder with an appropriate name. (Ex. Faithful64.zip would have a folder named Faithful64.) Then, extract all files in the zip (one should be named pack_icon.png unless it doesn't have an icon) and place the extracted files in the root of that new folder. Place that "Faithful64" (example) folder into
"sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave/games/com.mojang/resource_packs". The resource pack, if done correctly, may now show up in game.
You can just rename the .zip into .mcpack. It's as easy as that. (Though it's kinda buggy sometimes)

Last edited by BlastedGuy9905,

GalaxyYT

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My skin worked. It showed up. Though, it's using Xbox Live for online. It might ban me but only from there.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You can just rename the .zip into .mcpack. It's as easy as that. (Though it's kinda buggy sometimes)
I highly, highly doubt they will ban you. W10 and PE both allow for custom skins, so if you were to get banned, it would probably be nintendo detecting homebrew (if they do detect it)

LordVe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@SexySpai Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. You can use MCC Tool Chest PE to convert between the Java and Switch editions, but there will be some 'corruption', IE the wrong blocks in places, since the BlockIDs do not match 100%. Converting from Switch to Java is Highly NOT recommended. Switch has the equivalent of Java 1.13 at the moment.

Rabbid4240

i dont know
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@SexySpai Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. You can use MCC Tool Chest PE to convert between the Java and Switch editions, but there will be some 'corruption', IE the wrong blocks in places, since the BlockIDs do not match 100%. Converting from Switch to Java is Highly NOT recommended. Switch has the equivalent of Java 1.13 at the moment.
Well I already did it, and the world looked very corrupted and creepy. It's probably because I placed a command block in the java world.

ThomasRobertWade

Trophies
XP
Ignore my previous post, I misread that part of the tutorial. As for now, I managed to get custom skins to work, but I can't get the game to load any saves after adding more. It only shows one of the new ones I added, and it won't even load any from before I did the editing. It also won't import worlds from Switch Edition anymore. Good thing I had a backup.

Chipidy

Trophies
Website
www.chipidychipgaming.com
XP
Country
Canada
Since this version is a direct port of PE/W10/Xbone, the possibility of things like this are the same. Minecraft: BE stores things in save files the same across W10 and Switch, so, you can basically add any skin pack, texture/resource pack, and world you want. You can also change the GFX settings beyond their limits.
---

Requirements:
Minecraft BE (obviously)
---
Universal Steps: (These are steps that you need to take regardless of what you're trying to do.)

1. First, open Minecraft and make a change to any setting so that it definitely creates a config file, as well as a save file.

3. Open your save dumper (ex. Checkpoint) and Dump / Backup your save for Minecraft: BE (not Nintendo Switch edition if you have the old version)

4. Turn off your switch, and open your SD card on your PC. (You can use Rajkosto's memloader payload to access your micro-sd from your PC. You also need Hacdiskmount from Rajkosto.)

5. Navigate to "sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave".

Custom Skin Pack Steps:

5. Rename it to exactly what the person you deleted was. (Example: skin2945274983.png is now truemu.png)

6. Close the .mcpack archive, and place it in "sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave/skin_packs"

(Note: Your game may slow down if you increase your GFX limits. I haven't noticed it, though.)
1. Navigate to "sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave/minecraftpe" and open "options.txt" in something like Notepad ++.

3. Whatever your number is right now, dividing it by 16 will equal your in-game render distance. So, if you want 24 chunks as your render distance (instead of the max 14), you would enter 384. (384 ÷ 16 = 24, or 24 x 16 = 384. | 24 is our intended render distance.)

4. Once you enter your intended render distance (384 in my case) go ahead and save the file and you're done. Feel free to mess around further.

(Note: Some resource packs will cause your game to error out, and will always error out upon opening, making it unplayable. Just re-inject the save file, since the broken resource pack wasn't applied at the time of backing up, obviously. I've only seen this happen when using "shader" packs. They're bullshit.)

2. If using a .mcpack (recommended), simply place it in "sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave/games/com.mojang/resource_packs". Your resource pack should now appear in the "Resource Packs" section of the menu in-game.

1. Your world can either be a world from PE/Windows 10 (random letters/numbers/symbols folder) or a downloader world. (.mcworld)

2. If its ported from PE/W10, just simply drop the folder in "sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave/games/com.mojang/minecraftWorlds".

5. If it's in .mcworld format, open it in something like WinRAR, and extract it to the root of an appropriately named folder. (DropperWorld.mcworld would have a folder named DropperWorld.)

6. Drop that newly created folder, with all the files from the .mcworld in it, into "sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave/games/com.mojang/minecraftWorlds".

That's it! You now have a custom skin pack, custom resource pack, and modified video settings. You can also add custom worlds, probably using the .mcpack format, but I'm not sure since I haven't tested. I'll edit the post if I'm able to drag-and-drop one of my world from the Windows 10 Edition into the minecraftWorlds folder on the sdcard.

Edit: Yep, you can also add custom worlds to this version! I dragged and dropped one from Windows 10 Editon, and it worked just fine. It was also from an older version of the game...

Edit 2: Warning from a user on Reddit: ALWAYS keep a backup, because apparently you can't just restore a save with just the mcpack and nothing else, otherwise your worlds and Xbox Live connection will be lost. You need to import the entire save folder altogether, including your worlds and other data. (Obviously I made a backup so I didn't lose anything.)
Do you know of any good shader packs that work?

Quadrotix

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
---

Requirements:
Minecraft BE (obviously)
---

Custom Skin Pack Steps:

this worked pefectly but now minecraft takes like a minute and a half to even start. Any suggestions?

Rya102396

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't get an answer on the other board for this, maybe I'll have some luck here? I tried this the other day, I got my skin packs to work fine (though with messed up names,) but I can't get any resource packs to show up, whether I use .mcpack or extracted to a folder. Anyone know how to fix this?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/K-Gqyv0gkHc?si=nGlIcg7Lr7OPfc4a