Tutorial  Updated

How to make Switch BFSTM (custom music)

Before starting this tutorial, I assume you have knowledge of how to go into RCM, get into hbmenu, and use layeredfs. I will not be covering or helping with these as this is a tutorial, not an FAQ.

Requirements
-Windows PC
-Switch (:rofl2:)
-a brain
-layeredfs already setup
-title id of your game
-about 15 minutes
-the song you want
-audacity
-StreamTool

Step 1:
Download StreamTool https://github.com/slashiee/StreamTool
upload_2018-7-5_8-33-54.png

Step 2:
Run setup.bat

Step 3:
once its done, it should open a page in your browser to the ffmpeg site, follow what it says in the cmd window. (download ffmpeg and drag into the folder)

Step 4:
Get your song in mp3, other formats are ok, but I use mp3 personally.

Step 5:
Open that song in Audacity

Step 5.5:
(Optional) Amplify or De-Amplify the song, it might be too loud for the game, or for a game like splatoon 2 it might be drowned out by the sound effects.

Step 6:
Export the audio (and choose this setting)
upload_2018-7-5_8-36-29.png

Step 7:
Go to the folder where you put StreamTool, and drag that audio you exported as wav onto
upload_2018-7-5_8-37-52.png

Step 8:
Wait for the conversion to finish, then you will find the bfstm with the same name of that song.

Step 9:
You are finished, rename the the bfstm to its respective name.

Step 10:
Place it in its respective place (atmosphere/titles/<titleid>/

Step 11
Test it in-game, it should work.

Step 12:
???

Step 13:
Profit.

I hope my tutorial worked for you! I recommend bookmarking this if you forget, or as a cheat sheet if you are stuck.
~End of tutorial~

EDIT:
Oh I forgot, sometimes people convert popular music to bfstm already on http://www.smashcustommusic.com so I would look there first if it's a song from a game.
If you decide to download from here, click this.
upload_2018-7-5_8-56-7.png

If you download the correct BFSTM it should work, and they are looped on this site, unless it says it isn't.
If you download the incorrect BFSTM, it won't work, and may crash or it will be silent.

EDIT: 2
If you want your music to loop in-game, trim it to make it loop from beginning to end. (or what ever you decide to do, I'm not skilled at loops.)

Last edited by ,

Mat37

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I never got streamTool to work lol so i had to use BCFSTM BCFWAV Converter to convert a WiiU BFSTM to a switch one. Annoying cause there are multiple format conversions to do but it works.

D

Deleted User

OP
Is there a list of song files for popular switch games yet? That would make this 100x easier
I think there is one but it's not really public, like it's not out there, i have text files of them but we should wait for someone to make a documentation on them. Some are easy to guess though. Like STRM_ShootingRange.bfstm should be really obvious. It's really trial and error.

Reactions: Tex_McBladeSword

Mat37

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think there is one but it's not really public, like it's not out there, i have text files of them but we should wait for someone to make a documentation on them. Some are easy to guess though. Like STRM_ShootingRange.bfstm should be really obvious. It's really trial and error.
MK8DX's ones should be the easiest to guess

D

Deleted User

OP
can i change dragon ball fighter z music? with the anime ones?
if the songs are in bfstm its possible
i mean if they use a different format then it's still possible as long as a converter for that program exists
for example, the game i play a lot uses .adx as the music files. so i'd need to convert wav to adx

UNIQUEASPEN

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So when i put the .wav file to the convert to switch bfstm .bat file, it kinda works but i can't find the .bfstm file and i keep on doing it doing it doing it and i just cannot find the .bfstm file so what i do?

eliboa

Trophies
XP
Country
France
To convert mp3 (or wav) files to BFSTM (Switch) i use LoopingAudioConverter (shadowninja108's fork).
You can easily add loops to your files :
LoopingAudioConverter.png

Grab a copy of the program here

Also, i'm working on a modified version of LayeredFS that can randomly redirect loose files such as BFSTM files. I made it because i wanted to be able to randomize musics (BFSTM files) played in Splatoon 2. For example, in the lobby, the same music is played every time. See this page if you want to know more.

Reactions: hippy dave
D

Deleted User

OP
To convert mp3 (or wav) files to BFSTM (Switch) i use LoopingAudioConverter (shadowninja108's fork).
You can easily add loops to your files :
LoopingAudioConverter.png

Grab a copy of the program here

Also, i'm working on a modified version of LayeredFS that can randomly redirect loose files such as BFSTM files. I made it because i wanted to be able to randomize musics (BFSTM files) played in Splatoon 2. For example, in the lobby, the same music is played every time. See this page if you want to know more.
lol nice. i stopped using this old method a long time ago after i found this tool over 2 months ago

AboodXD

I hack NSMB games, and other shiz.
Trophies
XP
Country
United Arab Emirates
I never got streamTool to work lol so i had to use BCFSTM BCFWAV Converter to convert a WiiU BFSTM to a switch one. Annoying cause there are multiple format conversions to do but it works.
I don't know if you still use it or not, but I just want to let you know that I updated it a few days ago as it had a very serious bug when switching the endianness.

Reactions: eliboa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I'm back