Homebrew How to make gba emulator run full speed

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Emerald needs to be patched for 32k saves to not have issues with saving.
This was a true statement at one point. Luckily, not anymore!

Pokémon: Emerald Version
can be injected in NSUI beta 27 using the Rom save type:
  • Flash 1Mbit (Macronix, ID: 0x09C2) + RTC
-or-
  • Flash 1Mbit (Sanyo, ID: 0x1362) + RTC
The SRAM save type patching for certain games made with Ultimate GBA VC injector for 3DS was a thing before AuroraWright (Luma3DS dev) found out this.
Edit - Opps. Wrong link. Meant to post the follow-up.

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
This was a true statement at one point. Luckily, not anymore!

Pokémon: Emerald Version
can be injected in NSUI beta 27 using the Rom save type:
  • Flash 1Mbit (Macronix, ID: 0x09C2) + RTC
-or-
  • Flash 1Mbit (Sanyo, ID: 0x1362) + RTC
The SRAM save type patching for certain games made with Ultimate GBA VC injector for 3DS was a thing before AuroraWright (Luma3DS dev) found out this.
Edit - Opps. Wrong link. Meant to post the follow-up.
Neat. So what was all that about 128KB saves being impossible in open_agb_firm? :P

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Did i hear only? ;)
interesting, i wasn't aware of this. It uses 3DS's native support right?

a .CIA release wouldn't hurt.. i don't know how to compile this thing on my own, and having GBArunner2 already running just fine i don't see the point in trying it. But it's still cool to have options

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
It's not regular homebrew. It's meant to run as FIRM file. And the advantages it has over GBARunner2 is the full screen resolution is available (the 3DS GPU is available for improving scaling and the full 240x400 pixels) and it's 100% accurate for all working games.

Reactions: ber71 and DSoryu

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't that just an open source replacement for Nintendo's firmware? As in you would still need a VC Inject to actually run anything at the moment? Being open source offers devs more options in the future, but it doesn't sound like it offers any advantage to end users right now.

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
It doesn't load VC injects at all. It has a crappy file browser to load games directly.

The autor is sometimes uploading test builds in the issues if someone wants to try. The last one in a closed issue.

Last edited by ghjfdtg,

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Isn't that just an open source replacement for Nintendo's firmware? As in you would still need a VC Inject to actually run anything at the moment? Being open source offers devs more options in the future, but it doesn't sound like it offers any advantage to end users right now.

No, it can load roms directly from the SD, so you don't need to inject the roms anymore, and is a bare metal implementation.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neat. So what was all that about 128KB saves being impossible in open_agb_firm? :P
Beats me. All I know is that open_agb_firm isn't AGB_FIRM. Whatever black magic profi200 is up to and has in store for his re-imagined or take of the 3DS system's GBA hypervisor, only he and close associates in the GodMode9 discord channel can answer.

He has a callout for those to come up with a potentially new name for his project if anyone's interested.
I was thinking about submitting some entries borrowing the naming schemes from Robz8's TWiLight Menu or GNU/Linux/BSD/free/opensource. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GBA_loader
  • AGB Menu++
  • FreeAGB
  • OpenAGB

Last edited by TurdPooCharger,

placebo_yue

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's not regular homebrew. It's meant to run as FIRM file. And the advantages it has over GBARunner2 is the full screen resolution is available (the 3DS GPU is available for improving scaling and the full 240x400 pixels) and it's 100% accurate for all working games.
So how do i run FIRM files? how do i use this thing?

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Beats me. All I know is that open_agb_firm isn't AGB_FIRM. Whatever black magic profi200 is up to and has in store for his re-imagined or take of the 3DS system's GBA hypervisor, only he and close associates in the GodMode9 discord channel can answer.

He has a callout for those to come up with a potentially new name for his project if anyone's interested.
I was thinking about submitting some entries borrowing the naming schemes from Robz8's TWiLight Menu or GNU/Linux/BSD/free/opensource. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • GBA_loader
  • AGB Menu++
  • FreeAGB
  • OpenAGB
There is no magic regarding Flash 1M support as far as i know: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Virtual_Console#Config below the table.

So how do i run FIRM files? how do i use this thing?
Through Luma's chainloader, GodMode9 or using fastboot3DS as bootloader (instead of boot9strap).

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no magic regarding Flash 1M support as far as i know: https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Virtual_Console#Config below the table.
Yah, I kinda already covered that point back in post #24. That wiki entry is for the AGB_FIRM (3DS system's official GBA firmware/hypervisor). This is not to be confused with open_agb_firm (profi200's homebrew GBA hypervisor).

Due to lack of familiarity or firsthand experience with this new project, I didn't know how to answer Jdbye's question on whether or not open_agb_firm supports Flash 1 Mbit save types. (It does btw, made quick saves in Pokemon - Emerald.)

Here's a publicly available test build of open_agb_firm if you're curious to try it out.

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
From what i can gather from the source it uses no emulation or hypervisor at all. It just straight loads the game and the GBA hardware does everything else. This is about as accurate as it can get assuming Nintendo did a good job implementing the cartridge and save hardware.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, JonTron's back yet again until he disappears into the void for another 6 or...