Tutorial  Updated

How to Make Flash Game WAD Injects

This is not an April Fool's joke!

People have made countless injects of Virtual Console games on the Wii. That means they take a Virtual Console game WAD, then use a program such as “autoinjectuwadinjector” to put any ROM they want into the game. This process is known as “injecting”. One little-known thing (until now) is that you can do the same thing with Adobe Flash games! A few WiiWare games and video-streaming Channels on the Wii actually run on a Flash applet.

For this tutorial, we will be injecting Flash games using a base of the European-exclusive WiiWare game by the name of “Back to Nature”. The game is terrible, and one thing to blame for that is that it’s entirely Flash-based! The swf can even be extracted from the game and be played on a computer. Despite the fact the game is garbage, it gave us a nice gift - the ability to inject whatever Flash game you want into the app. We turned the WAD into a template. Even though the Internet Channel can play Flash games, it’s a hassle for the webpage containing the Flash game to load, and Flash is at the end of life. It’s a good time to take advantage of packaging Flash games into WADs.

What you need:

• Base WAD, can be found on a site called MarioCube in the folder WADs > Flash Injects > Flash > Base.
    • If you want to get the Flash WAD working on a USA region Wii, download the USA WAD, else if you want to get it working on a Europe region Wii, download the Europe WAD.
  • A tool to unpack and pack a WAD (ShowMiiWADs, WadMii in Wii.cs Tools, Sharpii...)
  • A tool to unpack and pack a U8 archive (ShowMiiWADs, U8Mii in Wii.cs Tools, Sharpii, wszst...)
  • A text editor (Notepad is fine)
  • Brlyt tool (You will need to install an framework called ActiveX for this to run. It's old, so I'm not sure if it's compatible with newer versions of Windows.)
  • A tool to extract the banner and modify the icons (CustomizeMii...)

Editing 00000002.app

We will replace the SWF file in the WAD and optionally make some changes to a fun configuration file. Unpack the WAD using a tool such as ShowMiiWADs, then you will see a set of .app files. Extract the 00000002.app with your preferred tool to unpack a U8 archive. Replace `content/menu.swf` with the SWF of the Flash game you want to inject.

OPTIONAL: Open config/config.common.pcf with your preferred text editor. You can make some fun changes to this, but the base WAD has all the preferred settings.

• mouse - should be "on" if you want to use the Wii Remote cursor as a mouse, else "off"
  • midi - enables use for a soundfont in DLS format. Haven’t tested this, but if you want to play with it, set it to "on". Else, set it to "off".
  • dls_file - uncomment this line to use it (remove the "#" at the start of the line). Set it to a path to the DLS file you want to use.
  • shared_object_capability - determines whether or not to make a save file, haven’t done testing with it. In most cases, should be "off".
  • vff_cache_size - if you plan to make a save file, you can change the number of kilobytes. Default is "96".
  • strap_reminder - should be "none". Set to "normal" if you want to enable the wrist strap reminder, or "no_ex" if you want to remove the transitioning image on the strap screen about using an extension controller.
  • supported_devices - should be "core, freestyle, classic". Not sure how this works, but it seems to enable or disable controllers. Other types of comma-separated controllers that this can be set to are "balance_checker", "codetrain", "guitar", and "future".
  • hbm_no_save - should be "off". This option probably enables the “Anything not saved will be lost” message when you access the Wii Menu or Reset button on the HOME Menu.
  • quality - should be "high", but can also be "low" or "medium" if you want to use those qualities for some reason.
  • qwerty_keyboard - should be "on" if you want to use the keyboard, else "off"

When you made your changes, pack 00000002.app back up with your preferred tool and re-pack the WAD with all of it’s contents.

Changing the icons and names:

Change the display name of the channel to your name of choice, and change its ID to something unique (It’s not recommended to modify the first letter of the title ID). Using CustomizeMii, Modify the images “IconVCPic” and “VCPic” to match your game.

Now, extract the banner.brlyt file and put it somewhere. Do the following customization steps:

• Change the name to the name you chose previously and press the “set all” button.

• Change the year to match your game and press the “set all” button.

• Change the players amount to match your game. (e.g. 1, 1-4, 2-4)

• Select the banner.brlyt file

• Keep everything else exactly as is and save changes.

You are all done, install the WAD file onto your Wii. Ensure you have BootMii or Priiloader installed on your Wii before installing the inject, or test with Dolphin, because things can go wrong if you are not careful enough. If it doesn't work and black screens, then the game might not be compatible with the Wii. If it works, great.

Credits to dhtdht020 for helping me write this guide.

Last edited by Larsenv,

Sammy6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Testing it with dolphin it gives the error "invalid read from 0x00000024" and blackscreens. Is it an issue with dolphin or the WAD?

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Testing it with dolphin it gives the error "invalid read from 0x00000024" and blackscreens. Is it an issue with dolphin or the WAD?
That's it because the SWF game is not compatible with the WAD. SWF games that were programmed in ActionScript 3.0 (AS3) won't work in Wii. Only works with SWF games that were programmed in ActionScript 2.0 (AS2). If you try to inject an AS3 game, then you will receive an error such you had. Greetings :D

kokokool

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Omg this thread should be always active

This information is priceless

Imagine the amount of AS2 apps out there to test and port to the wii via flash wad injects.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

kokokool

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
That's it because the SWF game is not compatible with the WAD. SWF games that were programmed in ActionScript 3.0 (AS3) won't work in Wii. Only works with SWF games that were programmed in ActionScript 2.0 (AS2). If you try to inject an AS3 game, then you will receive an error such you had. Greetings :D

Is there a chance to know which ones are AS3 and AS2 at first or second glance?

Darker27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
good morning / afternoon / evening
I managed to inject the game Super Mario 63. I had the disadvantage that the game looked very small. going into the files I saw the configuration I had. Fortunately, he guided me with some things that were written and I was able to enlarge it to a very good result.
The game runs at 20fps. Looking at a configuration file I see that something related to cache is written.
Has anyone else edited that? has the fps been successful or improved?

One thing I saw is that it is only compatible with AS2, it means that all flash games 6-7-8 will run without problems. Most games that use Flash 9 use AS3.
Perhaps a compatibility table can be created for this.

Greetings from Mexico:D
(Translated with the amazing google translator)

Reactions: kokokool

Sammy6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was considering adding that game.
I managed to inject the game Super Mario 63. I had the disadvantage that the game looked very small. going into the files I saw the configuration I had. Fortunately, he guided me with some things that were written and I was able to enlarge it to a very good result.
The game runs at 20fps. Looking at a configuration file I see that something related to cache is written.
Were you able to get saving working?

Reactions: Darker27

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador

One thing I saw is that it is only compatible with AS2, it means that all flash games 6-7-8 will run without problems. Most games that use Flash 9 use AS3.
Perhaps a compatibility table can be created for this.

Greetings from Mexico:D
(Translated with the amazing google translator)
Hey how did you resize the SWF game for make it a bit bigger for the screen?

Darker27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

I have not tried that :ohnoes:, I got excited since it was my first wad injected.

Hey how did you resize the SWF game for make it a bit bigger for the screen?
No. Just resize by playing around with the config.ntsc.wide.pcf file.
It is similar to a CSS file. So it was easy to change it.
I had the same problem with the Sonic. I just gave it a little configuration and it's playable now :)
(The quality bothers me a bit)
117391804_2495615117396058_7077409477112252264_n.png

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
I have not tried that :ohnoes:, I got excited since it was my first wad injected.

No. Just resize by playing around with the config.ntsc.wide.pcf file.
It is similar to a CSS file. So it was easy to change it.
I had the same problem with the Sonic. I just gave it a little configuration and it's playable now :)
(The quality bothers me a bit)
117391804_2495615117396058_7077409477112252264_n.png
Ok thanks. Before I'm going to resize it, what size did you put in the game Ultimate Flash Sonic??

kokokool

Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Mario crossover would be awesome.

Has anyone tried to test it as a flash inject

Darker27

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

You can fix the save game error by activating this.
shared_object_capability "on"
I personally like the warning on the strap.
strap_reminder: "normal"
Mario crossover would be awesome.

Has anyone tried to test it as a flash inject

that game works with ActionScript 3 :(.

Last edited by Darker27,

Sammy6

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I tried that. When I open the game for the first time it says "creating save data" but it doesn't actually save my progress :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol