Hacking How to make custom skins for EZ-Flash IV?

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Hi guys!

So heres the deal..i hate default skins on my EZ 4, so i want to make my own skins.

Is there some easy to use graphical edotor/skin maker for my EZ-flash IV (thats 4...the white one with mini SD's)
I use kernel v2.05 (i believe thats the latest one), and i still want to use that one.

Do you think you can help please?

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
The skin needs to be compiled into the kernel. In order to apply a new skin, you need to reflash the kernel.

The issue with the skins in the forum linked above is that they are compiled into older kernels.

If you check my signature, you'll find a skin builder that will allow you to build your own kernel with your own theme:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/ez-flash-4-skin-builder.477287/

Reactions: MetoMeto

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
The theme builder comes packed with the 2.02 kernel, but post contains another zip file containing the necessary files for kernel 2.05 (rombuildpro.rom and appropriate IPS patches if desired)
uh oh..im kinda confused on how exactly to do this. I actually like your custom flat skin, i just want to make it Dark, its to bright for my taste.
Can fonts be different color maybe?

Last edited by MetoMeto,

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
uh oh..im kinda confused on how exactly to do this. I actually like your custom flat skin, i just want to make it Dark, its to bright for my taste.
Can fonts be different color maybe?
As far as I am aware, there is unfortunately no way to change the font color.

The kernel consists of the OS (rombuildpro.rom) and images. When you extract my skin builder you'll find these separated. Replace the images with your own images in the appropriate format (check the post for details), replace the rombuildpro.rom file with whatever version of the OS you want to use (most likely the latest version) and then use the "build.bat" file to combine them into a flash able kernel.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
As far as I am aware, there is unfortunately no way to change the font color.

The kernel consists of the OS (rombuildpro.rom) and images. When you extract my skin builder you'll find these separated. Replace the images with your own images in the appropriate format (check the post for details), replace the rombuildpro.rom file with whatever version of the OS you want to use (most likely the latest version) and then use the "build.bat" file to combine them into a flash able kernel.
Ohh i see! thanks! ill try it now!

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
@Localhorst86 Ok i made the custom theme, looking great, theres just one thing... any way i can make text look prettier, like your flat theme? This original text is ugly and help file is in chinese...

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Localhorst86 Ok i made the custom theme, looking great, theres just one thing... any way i can make text look prettier, like your flat theme? This original text is ugly and help file is in chinese...
For every kernel, I made several ips patches. Make sure you use the right ones as all the offsets are different for every kernel version. Just apply them to your combined kernel file using your IPS patcher of choice.

8kb.ips fixes the way a file size of 8kb is displsyed

Font.ips replaces the font with a non-serif font

Text.ips fixes the English translation of all the text in the kernel.

You'll also notice a folder called "patches". These contain ips patches for various major and minor improvements to the kernel (making 8Kb show up as 8Kb instead of 8,192 bytes, translation improvements and the clearlooks font). Simply apply them to your ezfla_up.bin file using any ips patching tool. Sorry the patches are not properly documented, they were originally intended for personal use only

Last edited by Localhorst86,

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
For every kernel, I made several ips patches. Make sure you use the right ones as all the offsets are different for every kernel version. Just apply them to your combined kernel file using your IPS patcher of choice.

8kb.ips fixes the way a file size of 8kb is displsyed

Font.ips replaces the font with a non-serif font

Text.ips fixes the English translation of all the text in the kernel.
yes i downloaded 2.05 kernel with patches folder in it, and even if i merge patch folder with existing folder in skin tool (i hope that's the way) and run to compile, and after installation fonts are still the same and help text is also on Chinese, nothing changes.

Idk if you aply patches just by compiling or is there some special way to apply them, cause the way i do it, as i explained above, doesn't work for me at all.

This is "patch" folder AFTER merging with "kernel pack 2.05.zip" "patch" folder

C42rNf6.png
XmaG7BI.png

I would appreciate if you'd like to give me more clearer guide please.

Also about graphics..i noticed as i made my theme black the "itemdisc.bmp" when game is loading the background behind fonts is white. Idk what graphics is for that background, it doesn't seems to be present in "bmp" folder of EZ-skin builder.
Also if you have something to say about that id appreciate. Thanks!

Also, i use latest version of kernel pack 2.05.zip

Last edited by MetoMeto,

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yes i downloaded 2.05 kernel with patches folder in it, and even if i merge patch folder with existing folder in skin tool (i hope that's the way) and run to compile, and after installation fonts are still the same and help text is also on Chinese, nothing changes.

Idk if you aply patches just by compiling or is there some special way to apply them, cause the way i do it, as i explained above, doesn't work for me at all.

I would appreciate if you'd like to give me more clearer guide please.

Also about graphics..i noticed as i made my theme black the "itemdisc.bmp" when game is loading the background behind fonts is white. Idk what graphics is for that background, it doesn't seems to be present in "bmp" folder of EZ-skin builder.
Also if you have something to say about that id appreciate. Thanks!

Also, i use latest version of kernel pack 2.05.zip
IPS patches need to be applied to the resulting bin file using an IPS patcher like lunar IPS. Open up lunar IPS, select your ezflash_upd.bin, select the IPS patch you want to apply and save the resulting file. If you want to apply multiple patches, you need to repeat the process with the *new* file you just saved.

Highlight color is fixed, its not a bitmap, so there is no way, at least known to me, to change it.

Reactions: MetoMeto

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
IPS patches need to be applied to the resulting bin file using an IPS patcher like lunar IPS. Open up lunar IPS, select your ezflash_upd.bin, select the IPS patch you want to apply and save the resulting file. If you want to apply multiple patches, you need to repeat the process with the *new* file you just saved.

Highlight color is fixed, its not a bitmap, so there is no way, at least known to me, to change it.
You're fast man! :)
Oh i see! That makes more sense!
I actually thought compiler applies IPS patches automatically! Yes i do have IPS patcher, im using it for some translations etc. but i wasn't sure if i should use it on a kernel, i only used it on ROM's lol.

Thanks, ill try that! :yaysp:

But please tell me, if i want to apply MORE patches i can apply it to the existing "ezfla_up.bin" that i already patched with say.. "improved text.ips" or how...?
(I got confused on that part a bit)

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
One more question.
Should i use patches from skin builder "patches" folder, or from "patches" folder in "kernel pack 2.05.zip"?

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
One more question.
Should i use patches from skin builder "patches" folder, or from "patches" folder in "kernel pack 2.05.zip"?
As I already mentioned in this thread a few times, patches are kernel specific, so only use the patches that came with the kernel you're using.

To apply multiple patches you need to apply the first patch you want, then apply the second patch to the resulting output file, etc.

E.g.

File1 + font.ips = file2
File2 + text.ips = file3
File3 + 8kb.ips = file 4

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Patches are kernel specific, so only use the patches that came with the kernel you're using.

To apply multiple patches you need to apply the first patch you want, then apply the second patch to the resulting output file, etc.

E.g.

File1 + font.ips = file2
File2 + text.ips = file3
File3 + 8kb.ips = file 4

I see, so kernel specific patches! Ok!

I'm not sure i understand that second part about multiple patches though...

Lets do it like this for clarity sake:
So here i built "ezfla_up.bin" Now what? How to apply 3 patches to that file?
Whats File 1,2,3?

Also, when i try to use IPS patcher, it cant see "ezfla_up.bin". I'm using Lunar IPS patcher.

Im not very technical person, so if you can use pictures i'd appreciate it!
Other than this, i think everything is pretty clear and done. Only thing left is patches!

I appreciate the patience.

Last edited by MetoMeto,

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I just don't get it.

I applied one patch from apropirate folder (2.05) with lunar, the "font.ips" by clicking it and than clicking "all files" and its said its applied.
I installed it and not its frozen.

I read this thread multiple times, your thread also, but i cant figure.

About color...how white it needs to be (in RGB or HEX values) so it detects it as transparent do you know perhaps?

Id appreciate more clearer and detailed explanation about patching if possible. Thank you!

Last edited by MetoMeto,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Mkay.