Tutorial  Updated

How to make an ISO of Newer Super Mario Bros Wii!

2021: Dolphin added Riivolution Patch support, so this is not something you need to do anymore. It's easier to just not do this. Also I'm not sure if this works anymore. YMMV. :)

So you'd like to make an ISO of one of NewerTeam's delightfully well made and absolutely impressive Riivolution based mods? Well, where there's a will, there's a way! Thanks to the works of a few people including, but not limited to @damysteryman, @2Shirt, @CaseyOmah, and myself, you can produce high quality functioning ISO's of all of the NewerTeam Wii mods, as well as a few other mods by others. The main use for an ISO of these games would be to run them in Dolphin or on a Wii with a USB Loader instead of through Riivolution- which requires either a softmodded Wii or Wii U vWii and a disc of New Super Mario Bros. Wii to be inserted.

It's important to note that this method for playing these mods is not supported by NewerTeam in any way, shape, or form. If you've built an ISO of one of the mods and run into any issues in the game, please report it in this thread, and not to NewerTeam.

In order to build an ISO of a New Super Mario Bros. Wii mod, you are going to need:
- A .iso file of New Super Mario Bros Wii. [Do not ask here where to obtain this, it is against the forum ToS.]
- The mod you would like to build an ISO of. [Most can be obtained from http://newerteam.com/]
- A little patience and some time.
- An archive manager like 7-zip.

Without farther adieu, the guide itself.

You will first need to get one of the NSMB Mod ISO Builders. I recommend this one, which I've recently looked over and tested myself, as of the current post date, it works perfectly with the current version of Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii. [1.2.0 at the time of post.]

So download that, and open in in your archive manager, and extract the folder somewhere you can work pretty easily, like the desktop or in your downloads folder. After doing that you should have something that looks like this.
0vx6aM.png

Next you'll need to get your ISO of New Super Mario Bros. Wii and place it in this folder, the file should be in either .WBFS or .ISO format. I reccomend using CleanRip on a Wii with The Homebrew Channel to obtain this, personally. Do not post asking for an ISO of the game, as that is against the forum rules.

Now you'll need to drop the contents of the mod you wish to install into this folder as well. In this example, I will be using Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii, which you can obtain from NewerTeam's Website.

At this point, your folder should be looking something like this:
UEhuiX.png

Now, you should right click on the "Build_ISO_Patched.bat" and a command window will show up with instructions. From this point it's rather self explanatory, however, I'll go over it with you all anyway in case someone get's a little confused.

PVL9RV.png
Here you'll want to press the number that corresponds to the mod you are going to build, in the example case, it is 1.

BZTeMa.png
And here you'll generally want to pick Autodetect, however, if you know what version of NSMBW you have, it can't hurt to pick that instead.

N7sAQo.png
Here you'll generally want to go with WBFS, since it ouputs a scrubbed image that's only around 900mb, rather then a 4.7gb DVD sized ISO image. Both play flawlessly on a real Wii or on Dolphin, so WBFS is of course, recommended.

ypAhDs.png
This setting is rather complicated- without a ton of explanation, generally you will want to pick 3 here. What this will do is create a save file for each mod, that takes up it's own space in the Wii Data Management, meaning, that you won't have save file shared between mods and the original game. Setting 1 will make the game read and write savedata to the original New Super Mario Bros. Wii save file, and setting 2 will create one additional save file instead that All mods built with that setting share. Again, 3 is by far the best option here.

r73ff1.png
This setting is mostly important for USB Loader users, since Dolphin rarely ever displays Wii Disc Channel banners, however, I recommend you use setting 2, since at the time of this writing, the banners are currently not up on GXArena- or any other banner repositories I can find, and this builder, as of now, only checks GXArena.

Beyond this, just press 1 to confirm your settings, and wait for the ISO to build, once it's done you'll see this.
oQpPZG.png

The file is outputted in the folder from earlier, that'll be named after your Mod and the ID it's given on the Disc.
From here you can run your mod in Dolphin or send it to a hard-drive for use on a Wii in a USB Loader, enjoy!
RMdGg9.jpg

pcjNNd.jpg

Last edited by CheatFreak47, , Reason: 1.2.0 duh

The_Meistro

GBATemp's "Official" Hank Hill
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Recently it would appear. Rightfully so as far as I can tell, he's pretty trollish. His humor is pretty low brow too. Off topic entirely, whats with the insane amount of weird looking link avatars all over the forum? Did I miss something?
Thats Pretty dank m8

Jk jk but thats all he said! EVER!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So you'd like to make an ISO of one of NewerTeam's delightfully well made and absolutely impressive Riivolution based mods? Well, where there's a will, there's a way! Thanks to the works of a few people including, but not limited to @damysteryman, @2Shirt, @CaseyOmah, and myself, you can produce high quality functioning ISO's of all of the NewerTeam Wii mods, as well as a few other mods by others. The main use for an ISO of these games would be to run them in Dolphin or on a Wii with a USB Loader instead of through Riivolution- which requires either a softmodded Wii or Wii U vWii and a disc of New Super Mario Bros. Wii to be inserted.

It's important to note that this method for playing these mods is not supported by NewerTeam in any way, shape, or form. If you've built an ISO of one of the mods and run into any issues in the game, please report it in this thread, and not to NewerTeam.

In order to build an ISO of a New Super Mario Bros. Wii mod, you are going to need:
- A .iso file of New Super Mario Bros Wii. [Do not ask here where to obtain this, it is against the forum ToS.]
- The mod you would like to build an ISO of. [Most can be obtained from http://newerteam.com/]
- A little patience and some time.
- An archive manager like 7-zip.

Without farther adieu, the guide itself.

You will first need to get one of the NSMB Mod ISO Builders. I recommend this one, which I've recently looked over and tested myself, as of the current post date, it works perfectly with the current version of Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii. [1.1.1 at the time of post.]

So download that, and open in in your archive manager, and extract the folder somewhere you can work pretty easily, like the desktop or in your downloads folder. After doing that you should have something that looks like this.
0vx6aM.png

Next you'll need to get your ISO of New Super Mario Bros. Wii and place it in this folder, the file should be in .ISO format, not WBFS. If you have a WBFS file and would like to use that, convert it with WiiBackupManager. I reccomend using CleanRip on a Wii with The Homebrew Channel to obtain this, personally. Do not post asking for an ISO of the game, as that is against the forum rules.

Now you'll need to drop the contents of the mod you wish to install into this folder as well. In this example, I will be using Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii, which you can obtain from NewerTeam's Website.

At this point, your folder should be looking something like this:
UEhuiX.png

Now, you should right click on the "Build_ISO_Patched.bat" and a command window will show up with instructions. From this point it's rather self explanatory, however, I'll go over it with you all anyway in case someone get's a little confused.

PVL9RV.png
Here you'll want to press the number that corresponds to the mod you are going to build, in the example case, it is 1.

BZTeMa.png
And here you'll generally want to pick Autodetect, however, if you know what version of NSMBW you have, it can't hurt to pick that instead.

N7sAQo.png
Here you'll generally want to go with WBFS, since it ouputs a scrubbed image that's only around 900mb, rather then a 4.7gb DVD sized ISO image. Both play flawlessly on a real Wii or on Dolphin, so WBFS is of course, recommended.

ypAhDs.png
This setting is rather complicated- without a ton of explanation, generally you will want to pick 3 here. What this will do is create a save file for each mod, that takes up it's own space in the Wii Data Management, meaning, that you won't have save file shared between mods and the original game. Setting 1 will make the game read and write savedata to the original New Super Mario Bros. Wii save file, and setting 2 will create one additional save file instead that All mods built with that setting share. Again, 3 is by far the best option here.

r73ff1.png
This setting is mostly important for USB Loader users, since Dolphin rarely ever displays Wii Disc Channel banners, however, I recommend you use setting 2, since at the time of this writing, the banners are currently not up on GXArena- or any other banner repositories I can find, and this builder, as of now, only checks GXArena.

Beyond this, just press 1 to confirm your settings, and wait for the ISO to build, once it's done you'll see this.
oQpPZG.png

The file is outputted in the folder from earlier, that'll be named after your Mod and the ID it's given on the Disc.
From here you can run your mod in Dolphin or send it to a hard-drive for use on a Wii in a USB Loader, enjoy!
RMdGg9.jpg

pcjNNd.jpg
What exactly is new in newer super mario bros?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Recently it would appear. Rightfully so as far as I can tell, he's pretty trollish. His humor is pretty low brow too. Off topic entirely, whats with the insane amount of weird looking link avatars all over the forum? Did I miss something?
O btw theres a war against me and @VinsCool Half of the toon link people r on my side and half are on vinnys...

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't believe, this is in 2015!!?
wii in 2015!!?
BTW - this released 1 year ago! it is the same thing as the old one!
ps- 18UrMUm has his signature removed by staff!! what was it? maybe he got banned because of his signature?
trollolol! the name of 18UrMum also sucks! and he got banned the day after he joint! how sad!

sighs Can we get back on topic please? I could really care less what happened to some troll.

And yes, I'm talking about a Wii mod in 2015, and it was released 2 years ago, actually. And yes, there is a topic for the ISO builder- but a buddy of mine asked me how to build an ISO with it so I decided I would make a tutorial instead of just explaining it to him outright. If he was asking that question, I presume some other people might've asked that question too, and helping the many is better then the few.

Philip3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Hi. I have two questions. 1. How can I use the save from Riivolution on the iso version. 2. Can I pack other games as an iso. (For example, Super Mario Galaxy 2.)

D

Deleted User

When I load the game on the vwii, it gets stuck at the "hold the Wii Remote sideways" screen.

Any ideas?

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm way out of the loop with Wii hacking. Can I create the ISO, burn it and play on my WiiU in vWii mode?
You can't play a burnt disc on a vWii, but it is possible to run it via a USB Loader, however. I'm not really any expert on vWii hacking though, there's other topics for that over in the Wii U hacking board I think.

I feel tempted to expand on this by creating a tutorial on how to create a .wad for this with a custom banner
Actually, not a bad idea. I'd love to see an updated USB Loader forwarder tutorial sometime.

When I load the game on the vwii, it gets stuck at the "hold the Wii Remote sideways" screen.
Any ideas?
Enable VBI hook in the loader? Try running it in dolphin to see if your ISO build went sour.

@Bortz Thanks for the cleanup

Last edited by CheatFreak47, , Reason: made B an S in USB

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
You can't play a burnt disc on a vWii, but it is possible to run it via a USB Loader, however. I'm not really any expert on vWii hacking though, there's other topics for that over in the Wii U hacking board I think.
Thanks buddy, I'll look into it.

I figured it out
You should post the solution. Other users might find this thread by searching for the same problem and the same fix could help them.

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I have two questions. 1. How can I use the save from Riivolution on the iso version. 2. Can I pack other games as an iso. (For example, Super Mario Galaxy 2.)
Well, it SHOULD be possible to take the file and load it onto the sysnand with a program like savegame menager- but I'm not entirely sure. Wanna send me your riivolution save to test? I could pack it for you and provide you with a standard Wii data.bin for it, I think.

And yes, the tool the ISO builder uses to do it's thing, WIT, is capable of packing/unpacking Wii images into either ISO or WBFS, to and from- but it is a command line program, I think someone tried to write a GUI for it, but I've never seen any good ones iirc. The actual ISO builder I'm supplying is only capable of handling NSMBW mods- specifically the ones listed in the menu.

@CaseyOmah is working on a riivolution XML parser last I checked though, and possibly a new ISO builder version at some point. I'm keeping tabs on that- but it's been a while since I've seen any updates on that front.

I figured it out
You should post the solution. Other users might find this thread by searching for the same problem and the same fix could help them.
Indeed, you should provide the solution, the more details and issues I can resolve for the end users in the original post, the better. Whatever the solution is, I'll make sure to make a mention of it in the original post somewhere.

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
I don't understand, why to force the suer to use ISO instead of WBFS. WBFS is nowadays the usual file format and supported by all modern USB loaders, tools and also by Dolphin. And you recommend the tool of damysteryman. And it supports WBFS.

Baccabechoppin

GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't understand, why to force the suer to use ISO instead of WBFS. WBFS is nowadays the usual file format and supported by all modern USB loaders, tools and also by Dolphin. And you recommend the tool of damysteryman. And it supports WBFS.
He isn't forcing anyone to use ISO format, the guide recommends using WBFS format

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He isn't forcing anyone to use ISO format, the guide recommends using WBFS format
I think he meant the input format, so I went ahead and checked to see if the input could be a WBFS file. Seems that it can indeed be a wbfs so I'll change the guide accordingly. Thanks Wiimm! ^_^

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

Wiimm

Developer
Trophies
Website
wiimmfi.de
XP
Country
Germany
And if i remeber right, the script uses the automatic source type detection of "wit" and so formats may be ISO, WBFS, WDF, WIA, GCX (not sure, how old wit is), CISO, WBI and also an extracted file system.

Philip3ds

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, it SHOULD be possible to take the file and load it onto the sysnand with a program like savegame menager- but I'm not entirely sure. Wanna send me your riivolution save to test? I could pack it for you and provide you with a standard Wii data.bin for it, I think.

And yes, the tool the ISO builder uses to do it's thing, WIT, is capable of packing/unpacking Wii images into either ISO or WBFS, to and from- but it is a command line program, I think someone tried to write a GUI for it, but I've never seen any good ones iirc. The actual ISO builder I'm supplying is only capable of handling NSMBW mods- specifically the ones listed in the menu.

@CaseyOmah is working on a riivolution XML parser last I checked though, and possibly a new ISO builder version at some point. I'm keeping tabs on that- but it's been a while since I've seen any updates on that front.

Indeed, you should provide the solution, the more details and issues I can resolve for the end users in the original post, the better. Whatever the solution is, I'll make sure to make a mention of it in the original post somewhere.
Download my save file here: https://mega.nz/#F!jhpQyK7L!O1CU5SYuvHyYi5Eg8TN_ug

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Also nice. Never really watched Fallout on Prime, but sounds like a good show. +1