Hacking how to load wii games from external HD?

Bloodangel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hi,
i have recently got a external hard drive.. and was wondering if theres anything extra i need to load the game images from it on my wii.

My wii is softmodded (flashed)...and has the loaders on it but they may be older versions

thanks

Kaosu-Noko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first check the compatability of your hard drive here http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List

Then use wii back manager, mount your hard drive and format it to WBFS
http://filetrip.net/f23160-Wii-Backup-Manager-0-3-6-build-48.html

then backup all the games you OWN onto your hard drive and your done

if you want you can partition your hard drive so that you will have a games partition and a normal partition (for other data) if you have windows 7 ( or vista) click start and search "partition" you should see "create and format hard disk partitions" find your hard drive and right click and select shrink. use a calculator ( or brain if your math smart) and multiply how ever big you want your hard drive (Like 50 GB or however much you want) and multiply it that by 1024 and put the number you get it "enter the amount of space to shrink in MBS" wait and then your done

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
EASEUS Partition Master 6.5.2 Home Edition is a free software and partitions any external to whatever size you want, don't use windows as it's very basic. (format the external to FAT 32 first and then use wii backup manager to format the partition to wbfs)

depending on what OS system you have you will need to install a different version of wii backup manager, in my case i had to install version 3.0 (i am using windows 7) if you have a older os you install a different version!

Bloodangel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
hi guys thanks for your help.
i am on win7.
my new external is 500gb... i have 7 wii game iso's on it at mo and it is formatted to ntfs.
is there anyway i can create a partition on it for WBFS without losing my game iso's already on there?

something like partition magic

thanks and happy new year

Bloodangel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
my external is compatible.
its a Seagate - External Desktop Drive 500GB 7200 RPM USB 2.0

and it says...
Created partitions and let the USB loader format. Played for over an hour and let sit for over 20 minutes and auto-off did not effect gameplay. Quick loading time and drive will turn itself back on when you turn on the WII.

Bloodangel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
so i can get partition master... use this to create a partition on my ntfs external hd without losing anything already stored on it...then format this new partition to wbfs using wii back up manager. then just copy my game images to the new wbfs partition.... and use wii back up manager to convert the iso's into wbfs images to compress them?

also is wbfs manager the same as wii backup manager?

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The WBFS format was a stopgap solution for storing games on a hard drive. It allowed the games to be stored taking minimal space, while providing easy access to USB Loaders; all this at the expense of a non-standard format that can not be recognized by PC's nor any standard repair utility. Simply put, WBFS partitions are not recommended any longer.

All modern USB Loaders and cIOS are able to use drives formatted as FAT32, NTFS, and just recently EXT2/3. I recommend keeping your drive formatted as NTFS but the choice is yours and here is a good write up on WBFS vs FAT32 vs NTFS. You can use programs like Wii Backup Manager or Wii Game Manager to store the games as WBFS files instead of ISOs if you would like to save some space; this is known as scrubbing.

Just be sure that you consult the info page of the USB Loader you choose to use before making your choice, and again to know how to set it up with the format you choose.

-[]D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: