Tutorial  Updated

How to keep nosy people out of your 3DS

This is created to keep out nosy brothers from your 3DS activity and life, remember, you have the right to keep your privacy intact!
This is just :shit:posting isn't it?

1. Open Luma (Press Select while powering on)
2. Scroll down until you see PIN Lock.
3. Set the PIN lock using A until you get to your desired PIN length.
4. Press Start.
5. Now you should see Luma asking you to set the PIN.
6. After that's done, go and re-enter your PIN.
7. Profit.

To remove them if you forgot, please refer to @CPG 's guide in this sub-forum.

Last edited by ihaveawindows,

Zakie

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is just :shit:posting isn't it?

1. Open Luma (Press Select while powering on)
2. Scroll down until you see PIN Lock.
3. Set the PIN lock using A until you get to your desired PIN length.
4. Press Start.
5. Now you should see Luma asking you to set the PIN.
6. After that's done, go and re-enter your PIN.
7. Profit.

To remove them if you forgot, please refer to @CPG 's guide in this sub-forum.
wow. this is pretty useful. I never knew you could do this stuff.

Reactions: ihaveawindows

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It is part of Luma3DS features but – as you already mentioned – it is pretty easy to get around the pin. Any "nosy brother" could do it buy just searching the web.

github.com/LumaTeam/Luma3DS/wiki/Optional-features said:
  • PIN lock: Require a PIN to be entered before continuing boot. A message can be displayed on the bottom screen at the PIN input screen by placing a text file named pinmessage.txt in /luma (800 characters maximum!). Has four options:
    • Off: No PIN enabled, continue boot normally.
    • 4: Require a 4 digit PIN.
    • 6: Require a 6 digit PIN.
    • 8: Require a 8 digit PIN.
    • Note: This is more effective as child-proofing than as a complete theft deterrent; a thief could bypass this as easily as deleting Luma3DS' configuration files, changing the boot.firm payload on the SD card (or, if using Luma3DS on CTRNAND, inserting an SD card with a boot.firm on its root, since boot9strap shows priority to the SD card. Even Luma3DS installed in FIRM0/1 isn't completely "safe"; it could be bypassed easily with ntrboot or similar methods.
It can and should be used to keep small children from messing around with a CFW 3DS and possibly doing nonsense with GodMode9

ihaveawindows

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
It is part of Luma3DS features but – as you already mentioned – it is pretty easy to get around the pin. Any "nosy brother" could do it buy just searching the web.

It can and should be used to keep small children from messing around with a CFW 3DS and possibly doing nonsense with GodMode9
Yeah well, that works too.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I pin-protect my SD card AND my NAND, and with different pins and boot screens. If my SD card is ejected, my boot splash says the 3DS has been stolen, and posts my serial number and phone number with my real name at the bottom screen.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I pin-protect my SD card AND my NAND, and with different pins and boot screens. If my SD card is ejected, my boot splash says the 3DS has been stolen, and posts my serial number and phone number with my real name at the bottom screen.
Did something very similar. I took losing the console(s) in account, not only theft and offer a little compensation for returning. But the note also says: "If somebody wants to sell this console to you, then it is stolen good."

A good splash screen on NAND is something like this https://themeplaza.art/item/11261 to remind of missing SD (or missing boot.firm on SD).

The Luma3DS pin isn't a very good protection, but it is all we got. I would prefer something more secure right in FIRM0 which would at least require ntrboot to bypass.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yeah i though everyone knew about this

easy way to brick your 3ds, if you forget you pin

hope you have a nand backup/ntrboot handy
The Luma3DS wiki page literally tells how to remove the pin and that security provided is lowest level (child-proofing)

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
The Luma3DS wiki page literally tells how to remove the pin and that security provided is lowest level (child-proofing)

its redundant i never actually used it, i found it more cumbersome than useful

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also thats only if you lock the sd with pin, lock the console nand

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
its redundant i never actually used it, i found it more cumbersome than useful

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also thats only if you lock the sd with pin, lock the console nand
B9S will always default to loading boot.firm from SD first. (So does Luma3DS installed in FIRM0/1)
Luma3DS pin is of no practical use against an attacker being able to use a search engine.

Fastboot3DS will always react on (Home) on power on bypassing the Pin altogether (allowing any FIRM payload to be loaded from the menu).

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
B9S will always default to loading boot.firm from SD first. (So does Luma3DS installed in FIRM0/1)
Luma3DS pin is of no practical use against an attacker being able to use a search engine.

Fastboot3DS will always react on (Home) on power on bypassing the Pin altogether (allowing any FIRM payload to be loaded from the menu).

Still, find it redundant, that's why I quit using it, plus as you said, if it's so easy to remove, there's no need to even have it in the first place, it's not "secure"

If you wanted a secure pin, you'd have to do it within boot0, via fastboot3ds or b9s (first stage bootloader), to make it secure, the pin would be used to encrypt the firm slots, so it can only boot if the correct pin is used to verify and to also decrypt it, the only way to bypass this would be to wipe the console, via ntrboot which cannot be bypassed or blocked, ntrboot is a feature of the internal 3ds Soc bootrom (stage zero bootloader)

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,
Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Still, find it redundant, that's why I quit using it, plus as you said, if it's so easy to remove, there's no need to even have it in the first place, it's not "secure"

If you wanted a secure pin, you'd have to do it within boot0, via fastboot3ds or b9s (first stage bootloader), to make it secure, the pin would be used to encrypt the firm slots, so it can only boot if the correct pin is used to verify and to also decrypt it, the only way to bypass this would be to wipe the console, via ntrboot which cannot be bypassed or blocked, ntrboot is a feature of the internal 3ds Soc bootrom (stage zero bootloader)
And what would be on your 3DS to warrant putting THAT much security on it?

Deleted member 668561

Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what would be on your 3DS to warrant putting THAT much security on it?

why do i need a pin lock in the first place?

i mean useful for someones little sibling, or some rando, it wont keep someone from stealing it

effectively just custom drm

i guess nobody will check a 3ds for state secrets :rolleyes:

Last edited by Deleted member 668561,
Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

gamer765

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It cost $5- $10 for a replacement battery
The 3ds will long be back in my possession already before that replacement battery arrives. Also I'll be sure to thank the kind person for the free replacement battery when it does arrive. Also i have my device set to default boot a garbage payload that will black screen. Only way to get it to boot successfully is by pressing the right button combination.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over