How to keep my system and games in great condition?

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Darrien14, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Darrien14
    OP

Newcomer Darrien14 Member

United States
    One thing about my old DS'S is they always have problems reading the games. I just want to know how do I keep the games and system in tip top condition so this issue does not occur on my 3DS?

2. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    Keep them away from dust and inside their boxes or cases, no?

3. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Besides keeping them in the original unopened case inside a nitrogen gas cell, they will obtain wear no matter what.

4. geenlung

geenlung Newbie

If you need to clean contacts, use compressed air. If you do use some type of alcohol wipe, make sure the system are cartridge are completely dry before turning it on. Keep your games in a case or inside the 3DS itself. Nintendo makes pretty sturdy products. It should survive regular use.

5. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Are you kidding me??? Compressed air does not clean contacts. That is nearly as bad as people blowing into their NES cartridges so pointlessly.

Alcohol wipes only work for a short period of time. They allow the exposed metal to continue to be exposed and need cleaning again.

Someone is best off to 'tin' the contacts with a soldering iron and some solder. At least then you can continue to 'refresh' the contacts without wearing them down. Hence why my NES and all of it's games still work without screwing around at all.

6. gumbyx84

Member gumbyx84 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Problem with that is that most users cannot or will not go through all that trouble, espcially with the risks involved.

To clean the contacts, you are best to use an alcohol rub or eraser. To keep the carts in good shape, you should keep them stored in some type of case. Same goes for the 3DS. I usually keep a cart in my NDS at all times to make sure dust doesn't get on the cartridge slot contacts.