RAD047

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been looking for a tutorial that fits my specific issue and setup. Apologies if its already here somewhere but I cant just can't seem to find it and I'm bit of a noob when it comes to hacking/modding and usually need help getting anything to work.

Basically, I want to install Wii U (and if possible Wii) backups to my external HDD. Currently, I just use NUSplii but it doesn't have all the games and much worse is that its super slow (and sometimes even crashes during install. It took me 7 hours to download Xenoblade Chronicles X and then it crashed leaving me with loads of unnecessary data).

My setup is:

• Wii U deluxe 32GB model
  • 32GB micro SD in the front
  • 500GB external HDD connected via USB-Y cable at the back
  • Firmware 5.5.5 with Tiramisu hack
How would I install Wii U backups (downloaded ones, not ripped from a disc) and what file format do Wii U back ups use?

Thanks all.

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First off check your NUSplii is up to date as it should have all games available. The speeds i can't comment on as I've never used it but it goes to the Nint servers so to have stuff missing means your app is missing info id say.

If you want to move away from it anyway, personally I use wii u usb helper and do it the old fashioned way, dl title, put it on sd, install with wup installer gx2 thru hbl.

Also this thread will help you....

https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-different-wiiu-games-formats-and-how-to-convert-them.449212/

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
First off check your NUSplii is up to date as it should have all games available. The speeds i can't comment on as I've never used it but it goes to the Nint servers so to have stuff missing means your app is missing info id say.
NUSspli is faster than the eShop but to be fait it's limited at around 28 Mbit/s (using a LAN adapter, WLAN is slower). This seems to be a hardware limitation of the Wii U. Also there are some titles which have been released on disc only, so aren't available.
Still sounds like the OP used an outdated version as we have no bug reports of crashes.

Norris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NUSspli is faster than the eShop but to be fait it's limited at around 28 Mbit/s (using a LAN adapter, WLAN is slower). This seems to be a hardware limitation of the Wii U. Also there are some titles which have been released on disc only, so aren't available.
Still sounds like the OP used an outdated version as we have no bug reports of crashes.
I can attest to this nusspli servers are quite fast

RAD047

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again everyone.

Great replies here. Very appreciated from you all. Some points:

• Yes i think I was mistaken about titles not being on NUSplii (I'm using v1.82) and therefore Eshop. Wii U titles are there, its the many wii titles that aren't. I suppose I would need a completely different method of getting those on my Wii U. Some thing that involves the vWii Im guessing but I have no idea how you do that.
  • When using NUSplii I get 1.4MBs a second. Never higher than that. Maybe its my internet I'm not sure but when I download stuff like ROMs for PS3 or movies etc using my smartphone its much faster. At night NUSplii drops to about 30Kb a second. So sounds like my ISP maybe crap and also I've been spoilt by faster download speeds when doing other things I guess.
  • USB Helper: yeah, I saw loads of stuff about that. Does that also download from Nintendo servers? Also, I have a macbook and not a windows PC. I tried googling a solution for Mac OS but couldn't find one. Is there such a thing? But not something that involves configuring a dual boot of Windows or something complicated. Basically a dedicated app like USB helper that works on Mac is what I'm looking for.

Just want to clarify I'm not knocking NUSplii at all. Whoever made it (and stuff like PKGj for Vita/PS3, basically stuff that connects directly to the console manufacturers servers) has done a huge service to this community and I cant thank them enough!

I'm just looking for an alternative way to get Wii U and Wii ROMS onto my Wii U because that might suit me better. I also kind of like going in and doing it myself as well as you learn more about the file structure of your console and are more likely to be able to fix issues when they come up.

Thanks guys

PS: "knocking" is Brit slang for criticising :)

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Also, I have a macbook and not a windows PC. I tried googling a solution for Mac OS but couldn't find one. Is there such a thing? But not something that involves configuring a dual boot of Windows or something complicated. Basically a dedicated app like USB helper that works on Mac is what I'm looking for.

I had good success with this app way back then. It should work on a Mac, as it is a python script. It downloads straight from Nintendo's servers, the same way USB helper does.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-funkiiu-2-0-complete-content-ticket-python-tool.446092/

Reactions: RAD047 and Lostbhoy

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I could be wrong but i dont think NUSplii can access Wii games as they are not on the servers anymore.

Iirc, usb helper allows you to convert a wii game to a wup image however you must provide the wii iso yourself. You would be better off using Teconmoons inject tool but this is a Windows app also I'm afraid.

RAD047

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That looks really interesting. I read the thread and I'm just trying to get my head round it.

• So I will need to install python on the mac right?
  • As for title keys URL I just need to enter the URL I find and then the app will use that for all title IDs. Hope thats correct.
  • I didn't understand the tickets part. How do I use tickets and where do I get them from?
  • Lastly, would I download the files to my SD card and then use WUP installer to to install to my HDD?
Thanks again

PS: NUSplii does have Wii games. I downloaded four games but my "shopping list" was actually more than ten games. Sadly none of the others were there

Reactions: Lostbhoy

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was under the impression python came already installed with Macs, but I might be wrong (don't have a Mac). If not, then just install it.

You can point to the title keys page online or you can even save it on your computer and point to that. Or you could enter the keys manually (copy and paste). All options work.

Don't worry about tickets too much. Sigpatches take care of that when you run the game.

And lastly, yes, you download to your computer, copy the files to the SD card, and install from there on the Wii U.

Reactions: Lostbhoy and RAD047

RAD047

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I was under the impression python came already installed with Macs, but I might be wrong (don't have a Mac). If not, then just install it.

You can point to the title keys page online or you can even save it on your computer and point to that. Or you could enter the keys manually (copy and paste). All options work.

Don't worry about tickets too much. Sigpatches take care of that when you run the game.

And lastly, yes, you download to your computer, copy the files to the SD card, and install from there on the Wii U.
Wonderful, that makes things clearer. I'll give this a go!

RAD047

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Hello again. So I gave this a go and quickly realised I have no idea what Im doing!

Is there a tutorial where I can get this running? I installed python 3.10.2 on my Mac and then got the code for FunKiiU from github. It contains a .py file and a readme. I really dont know what to do next. I guess I have to run the py file in python but I have no experience of using it so dont know what to do.

Any advice would be appreciated!

RAD047

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This file literally says "read me" so why won't you read it? Esp. the "Usage" part could be of interrest for you: https://github.com/llakssz/FunKiiU/blob/master/README.md
My bad, I've got it running now...

I actually read it twice and just couldn't make sense of it. For some reason my brain was telling me that I would open an app and thats where I would add the keys title IDs and whatnot.

Third time's reading is a charm though :)

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My bad, I've got it running now...

I actually read it twice and just couldn't make sense of it. For some reason my brain was telling me that I would open an app and thats where I would add the keys title IDs and whatnot.

Third time's reading is a charm though :)
Glad you figured it out. It's a command line interface, so you just type your command like the examples in the readme. I understand it can be intimidating for someone who never used a cli before. I think there's a GUI for FunkiiU but I never used it.

Reactions: RAD047

RAD047

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I actually have another issue..

So FunKiiU was working like a charm. Really fast downloads. SD card transferred from Mac to Wii U and then installed using WUP Installer GX2. All good.

All of sudden this afternoon, I keep getting this error (see image). Even this morning I got a couple of games that installed fine. Just literally this afternoon. 3 different games in a row wont install. I haven't changed any settings or anything. Haven't even played any games since using FunKiiU apart from opening newly installed ones just to check that they run (and they have been fine so far).

Any idea why this is suddenly happening? I initially installed sigpatch to the location specified by Blaine Locklair in his newest Tiramisu guide a couple of weeks back and everything was fine until now.

EDIT: sorry probably should have added. I transfer download to SD card then install the files to the USB external HDD.

IMG_20220314_183233542.jpg

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Reactions: RAD047

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@V10lator posted an update that he made to the app, but unfortunately the pastebin page has been deleted. Maybe he still has it?
No idea why it got deleted and I don't have it anymore, too, sorry.

I keep getting this error (see image). Even this morning I got a couple of games that installed fine. Just literally this afternoon. 3 different games in a row wont install.
Are you getting this error at the beginning or somewhere in between the installation process? In case of the former try deleting the title.tik file, then use NUSspli to create a new ticket. In case it happens midway you probably need a better power source for the USB drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night