How to install/run ANY Switch firmware UNOFFICIALLY (WITHOUT burning any fuses)

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by rajkosto, Jun 15, 2018.

1. rafalince

rafalince GBAtemp Regular

Jul 4, 2015
    Brazil
    I did not understand where i take the keys for the Choujui.exe

2. BL888

BL888 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 30, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Hi all

I updated to 5.1 using this method some time ago.

If I was to update to 6.1 how would I go about doing this? Ie what step would I need to start from?

Many thanks for help in advance.

3. Minkaxy

Minkaxy Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 19, 2018
    Thailand
    You should use choidujourNX for an easy way to update fw.

4. MikeHawke

MikeHawke Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 30, 2016
    Since we can update with ChoiDujour without burning any fuses, is this necessary? Is it recommended?

5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    ChoiDujourNX is the recommended way of installing Switch updates.

6. boroxs

boroxs Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    Antarctica
    so about the burn fuses, it said in latest kosmos released that hekate "Supports booting 6.2.0 with less than 8 fuses". does this mean if i update manually online to 6.2 which automatically burnt fuses to 8 i cant use CFW?? or i misunderstood the sentence??

7. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    It means if you have less than 8 fuses and you are on firmware 6.2 when using Kosmos, your fuses won't be burnt to a count of 8.

boroxs likes this.
  8. boroxs

boroxs Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    Antarctica
    so its okay if i want to update manually online and use latest kosmos just fine without updating through ChoiDujour, is that correct??

Last edited by boroxs, Dec 13, 2018
  9. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Its still better to update without burning fuses in case a future exploit arrives on a lower firmware such as an untethered coldboot. And instead of using ChoiDujour, I recommend using ChoiDujourNX.

10. boroxs

boroxs Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    Antarctica
    well, my burn fuses are already 7 since i always update manually. does it still worth it to update using ChoiDujourNX method??

11. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If you like using AutoRCM and/or exFAT, yes.

12. boroxs

boroxs Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    Antarctica
    i dont like using autorcm but i'm using exfat format for sd card. what the advantage of using ChoiDujourNX in exfat??

13. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    If you update officially, you won't immediately have exFAT support. Plus you risk getting a ban if you update officially because that involves connecting a hacked console to the Internet.

14. boroxs

boroxs Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    Antarctica
    okay, so if i'm updating through ChoiDujourNX, i must enabled autorcm all the time?? and what the disadvantage of it beside it drained battery even the console turn off??

Last edited by boroxs, Dec 13, 2018
  15. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    AutoRCM can be more useful than you believe. Even a high quality jig can damage the pins over time and AutoRCM can prevent fuses from being burnt. And AutoRCM does not drain the battery whatsoever; RCM drains the battery which can happen if you don't properly turn the console. With AutoRCM, you must turn it off from RCM with either a manual shutdown in RCM (holding power for 12 seconds) or using Hekate's Power Off function.

16. boroxs

boroxs Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    Antarctica
    so if i use the method you said to turn off console while on autorcm, i can turn the console off and it will not drain battery whatsoever even if i'm not using it for a while, say at least, two weeks or more??

17. Tekimoto

Tekimoto Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2018
    Austria
    What is the diference of using this than using AutorRCM ?I mean this is A LOT of work and its not 100%noob friendly at some points so I dont know what to do.

18. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Yes, I tested this extensively and I know for 100% certainty that powering off from RCM is the only way to turn off a console with AutoRCM enabled. All of my findings are published in this thread.
    You can only use AutoRCM to update without burning fuses if you are using a build of Atmosphere that is 0.8.0 or above. Another alternative is the homebrew application ChoiDujourNX.

19. Galaxy123

Galaxy123 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 22, 2017
    Swaziland
    I think i have a big problem. My switch has blue screen cant boot ofw or cfw . Ofw cant be booted from hekate too. This happened because i updated 6.2.0 with sx os 2.3 i think. After the update i couldnt boot into cfw. Ofw only from the power button. I tried to repair GPT but now i got a blue screen. I tried to build boot0 boot1 files using this tutorial but i am using the*highly populated* key file i found from internet. When i try to use Choidujour it says failed to match master key 00 . Does anybody know the solution to this? Thanks

20. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    @rajkosto is choidujour likely to get updated for 6.2 or is it a deprecated method now?

Charli likes this.