Tutorial  Updated

How to install eShop games with SX OS

I am NOT responsible if you get banned or somehow mange to brick your switch

Prerequisites​
  • Have a working SX OS licenses and have it set up​
  • Have a copy of devmenu (I can't link to this here you'll have to find it yourself)​
  • A micro SD card​
  • OPTIONAL put your switch into airplane mode before doing this​

Part One: Setting up your SD card

Plug your SD card into your PC. Create a folder called sxos, then create a folder inside of that and name it titles. Once you have done that create another folder and name it with the title ID for the game you plan on layeredfs-ing.

In my case it's Pokémon Quest so my file structure looks like this sxos\titles\01005D100807A000. Now put the romfs and exefs for devmenu in that folder. (I'm assuming that the copy of devmenu you have is already in layeredfs format.)
Finally put the NSP for the game you plan on installing on the root of your SD card.
At this point your SD card should look something like this
sx.PNG

Part Two:Installing the NSP

Boot into SX OS and choose "Boot custom FW". Launch the donner title that you are using (again in my case Pokemon Quest)

You should see this come up on your screen.
2018070319015800-E4B364C957D95017CA1171810D655865.jpg

Select the install from SD option. The NSP you have should now appear on screen, press A to start the installation.

fixed.png

You can choose either install to SD or system memory. After selecting that press A one again.

2018070319072100-E4B364C957D95017CA1171810D655865.jpg

The NSP should now start installing.

2018070319091400-E4B364C957D95017CA1171810D655865.jpg

Wait a few minutes and the install should finish
2018070319133100-E4B364C957D95017CA1171810D655865.jpg

It is now safe to go back to the home menu and close out of devmenu
2018070319134300-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg

After closing out of devmenu your new game should show up
2018070319134600-57B4628D2267231D57E0FC1078C0596D.jpg

Enjoy!
2018070314364100-B078B511A5B781471916CCD172F8038E.jpg

Last edited by snails1221,

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On the 3DS, the problem was that all requests to the eShop were general requests meaning Nintendo had no way of tracking who was downloading what. With Freeshop, it was just a mass number of people making both illegitimate and legitimate requests with no way to filter them. Now, all requests made to the eShop requires your console's unique certificate so they now know who is downloading what and if they are supposed to in the first place. The weird part however, is that if your certificate gets banned, you can still make requests not through the eShop but through a CDN downloader. They possibly allow this so people have access to their eShop purchases after being banned, but if they see that console still making bogus requests, they may choose to revoke full CDN privileges.

but isnt that exactly whats happening? i guess i dont know exactly at what point a ticket is generated, do i make the request first, then ticket?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but isnt that exactly whats happening? i guess i dont know exactly at what point a ticket is generated, do i make the request first, then ticket?
I'll leave both links here, in order, on how the general process goes
1. https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHacks/comments/8rxg26/psa_strong_antipiracy_measures_implemented_by/
2. https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHacks/comments/759myu/the_eshop_and_cdn_explained_switch_edition/
Before anything, your console has to be able connect to their servers meaning you need a valid Nintendo Switch and Account. This is the request portion. Once you're in the eShop, then you generate a ticket. Request portion already involves your console's unique certificate and cannot be bypassed so the ticket is not the biggest concern.

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll leave both links here, in order, on how the general process goes
1. https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHacks/comments/8rxg26/psa_strong_antipiracy_measures_implemented_by/
2. https://www.reddit.com/r/SwitchHacks/comments/759myu/the_eshop_and_cdn_explained_switch_edition/
Before anything, your console has to be able connect to their servers meaning you need a valid Nintendo Switch and Account. This is the request portion. Once you're in the eShop, then you generate a ticket. Request portion already involves your console's unique certificate and cannot be bypassed so the ticket is not the biggest concern.

so basically unless you can falsify a console cert, tickets do nothing.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

also in a pseudo ironic twist, still no LA noire fix yet

Reactions: naddel81

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so basically unless you can falsify a console cert, tickets do nothing.
Exactly, there's already a workaround for dumping the titlekeys, but the problem is that these are useless since you still cannot download anything from the eShop without telling Nintendo who is downloading what. I should also mention that if you can falsify console unique certificates, you can actually un-ban consoles by injecting that new certificate into the console (if we have that type of tool).

Last edited by Draxzelex,

lolcatzuru

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly, there's already a workaround for dumping the titlekeys, but the problem is that these are useless since you still cannot download anything from the eShop without telling Nintendo who is downloading what. I should also mention that if you can falsify console unique certificates, you can actually un-ban consoles by injecting that new certificate into the console (once we have that type of tool).

i feelt like that isnt gonna happen, at least any time soon.

haxan

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes except unlike the 3DS, this one carries an abnormally high ban risk so use only if you don't mind losing access to online play/eShop on the Switch.
ohhhh i see, thank you for the reply.
also another thing, if someone does get banned, does this mean they no longer can use this to download games?

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ohhhh i see, thank you for the reply.
also another thing, if someone does get banned, does this mean they no longer can use this to download games?
This installs games, it doesn't download them. If you are referring to using a CDN tool to download them, some people have been able to still use the CDN tool to download games despite being banned however that may not remain the case.

ninjanick999

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So it's impossible to install without SX OS? Hekate dont have necessary kernel patches?
NSPs will install using Hekate, it just can't launch them because no one has implemented sigpatches on CFW yet.
Now we don't know if SX OS's free mode disables sigchecks, there's a good chance it might not. Either due to oversight by TX or intentional negligence.

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
NSPs will install using Hekate, it just can't launch them because no one has implemented sigpatches on CFW yet.
Now we don't know if SX OS's free mode disables sigchecks, there's a good chance it might not. Either due to oversight by TX or intentional negligence.
I was going to test last night but my nsps fail install at 100%

Dvdxploitr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, i wonder if this could get the eShop version of LA Noire to work? Anyone tried it? or is it the same problem as the cartridge version?

ninjanick999

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmmm, just tried Sonic Mania. No dice. It fails at 100% there must be some kind of patch that allows devmenu to install NSPs. Although I swear I saw someone on twitter install them successfully but be unable to launch them.
Also layeredfs is not enabled in the free version of SX OS. If only there were away to access devmenu or install NSPs without layeredfs...

Soluble

Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmm, just tried Sonic Mania. No dice. It fails at 100% there must be some kind of patch that allows devmenu to install NSPs. Although I swear I saw someone on twitter install them successfully but be unable to launch them.
Also layeredfs is not enabled in the free version of SX OS. If only there were away to access devmenu or install NSPs without layeredfs...
Yeah it looks like SXOS is the only way to successfully install NSPs with the Devmenu. Without it they all fail at 100%

thequickbrownfox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Where did you get your Sonic Mania dump from? If you used CDNSP did you provide titlekey? Using lowercase letters?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1