Tutorial  Updated

How to Install Custom Maps, Texture Packs, And Addons for Minecraft Bedrock for Nintendo Switch

Hello everyone! I decided to make a detailed tutorial on how to do this because the ones out there weren't that good or descriptive. In this tutorial, we are going to learn how to install content from the internet, transfer content from other versions of Minecraft Bedrock, and we are even going to learn how to convert your java edition maps to Bedrock Format and transfer it to the Nintendo Switch. As a bonus, we will also learn how to add a skin pack and customize the video settings. The process is kind of tedious but I hope that due to this post being made someone will make a save injector that does all this for us.

A big thanks to fellow GBATEMP member GalaxyYT for giving me the starting point for this Tutorial.

Requirements:
Checkpoint / Any save dumper/restore tool.
Minecraft Bedrock
A way to launch Homebrew

Backup Save File

First things first we need to backup the Minecraft savefile. Use your save manager of choice. In this tutorial, I am using Checkpoint.
u2DWzoq.jpg

Open Checkpoint from the Homebrew Menu and Locate Minecraft. (remember to switch to the User Profile you want the custom content to be on)

Ke6c0n2.jpg

Then Press Left Trigger to Backup the Save File. (This will take about a minute. For some reason Minecraft stores many of the game files in the save file which makes the process quite slow.)

64SY743.jpg

Locate The Save Backup Location

Access the SD Card of your switch (you can turn off and insert your sd card into your computer or you can use an FTP homebrew or NXMTP to get to the files. Your choice!)
Now look for the Backup. The Backup is located in...
Code:
sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave
hXe3uLQ.png

Make a backup on your computer of this file and go to...

Code:
games/com.mojang

Here is where we will install our content.

Installing Content

Now it is time to get the content!

Let's get some content from the internet!
The best place to find Minecraft Bedrock Content is https://mcpedl.com/

H6fdakH.png

Download Minecraft maps in the form of .mcworlds and download Texture Packs and Addons (behavior packs) as .mcpack files. You can also download Minecraft world templates as .mctemplate

Warning! ALWAYS keep a backup, because apparently you can't just restore a save with just the mcpack and nothing else, otherwise, your worlds and Xbox Live connection will be lost. You need to import the entire save folder altogether, including your worlds and other data. Follow the next part of this tutorial correctly please!

Now that you downloaded these files, don't click on them. This may open Minecraft Bedrock PC and install the world. Rename the .mc~~ files .zip and extract them with 7zip or winrar

9971QAh.png

Now drop the folders into their respective folders.

P6Z2zAp.png

Now, if you don't want to do anything else, skip ahead to the restore save file section of this tutorial

Let's install our own worlds so that we can continue playing our worlds portably!
First We need to locate our Minecraft Bedrock Save Folder. Here is how you locate it for
Open a file browser on your android device and locate

Code:
/storage/emulated/0/games/com.mojang/minecraftWorlds/

Transfer the world you want to your computer. (The minecraft worlds will have weird random characters as the folder name. There is no good way to determine which is your world other than just moving all the worlds but one to a seperate folder and Opening minecraft to see which is which)

P6Z2zAp.png

Now, if you don't want to do anything else, skip ahead to the restore save file section of this tutorial

This portion is stolen from Reddit because I don't have an iPhone

1. Open iTunes. If you don't have iTunes download it

2. Plug in your device into the computer via the lightning connector (USB Cable)

3. Click on your device. An icon should appear displaying your device

4. Go to apps

5. Scroll all the way down until you find iTunes file sharing

6. Take that /games and drag it (copy it) into your desktop
7. Search for your world and copy it ( put it into the desktop)

P6Z2zAp.png

Navigate to...
Code:
C:\Users\Name of User\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\games\com.mojang\minecraftWorlds

P6Z2zAp.png

First Download MCC Tool Chest PE and Install it

TrPcBiy.png

Next Create a "blank world" in Minecraft bedrock

ibDOV74.png

Now Open the Blank World in MCC Tool Chest

T2B69dR.png

Now Select Tools>Convert>To Bedrock.

UbUuV46.png

Now Choose your selected world and choose the options for the conversion.

yY2QnGi.png

Now locate the Minecraft Bedrock PC folder in
Code:
C:\Users\Name of User\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MinecraftUWP_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalState\games\com.mojang\minecraftWorlds

P6Z2zAp.png

This portion was mostly created by GalaxyYT but I have improved it

Download this Youtube Skin Pack as a start to your own skin pack

Rename the .mcpack and replace it with .zip

B3PzHBJ.png

Next, Extract the Zip with 7zip or Winrar

bAmrMjR.png

Open the folder. You will be greeted with a bunch of skins. Now, Open manifest.json with NotePad++ (download it, its free) and replace
Code:
"name": "Youtuber Skins by martinAJM03"
with anything you want

Next, Copy the skins to the folder. You can either rename your skin with one of the youtuber names, or you can follow this tutorial I found on Reddit to change the name and if the skin is a Steve or an Alex.

P6Z2zAp.png

This part was stolen from the wonderful GalaxyYT

(Note: Your game may slow down if you increase your GFX limits. I haven't noticed it, though.)
1. Navigate to "sd:/switch/Checkpoint/saves/0x0100D71004694000 Minecraft/WhateverYouNamedYourSave/minecraftpe" and open "options.txt" in something like Notepad ++.

(I'll only be showing you how to change render distance / chunks.)

2. Look for the line gfx_viewdistance:xxx.

3. Whatever your number is right now, dividing it by 16 will equal your in-game render distance. So, if you want 24 chunks as your render distance (instead of the max 14), you would enter 384. (384 ÷ 16 = 24, or 24 x 16 = 384. | 24 is our intended render distance.)

4. Once you enter your intended render distance (384 in my case) go ahead and save the file and you're done. Feel free to mess around further.

Restore Save File

Now that we have added our content into the file, go back into Checkpoint and Restore The Save File

jSMrza4.jpg

8aR8d7Y.jpg

Now just open Minecraft and your Custom Files will be waiting for you!

JndTDWM.jpg

I8PMTYC.jpg

Warning! ALWAYS keep a backup, because apparently you can't just restore a save with just the mcpack and nothing else, otherwise, your worlds and Xbox Live connection will be lost. You need to import the entire save folder altogether, including your worlds and other data. Follow the next part of this tutorial correctly please!

Thanks for following my tutorial. If you have any questions or want me to elaborate on my instructions please let me know in the comments below. I hope you have a good time playing the many great maps from across the web and playing your favorite Minecraft words on the go with the switch! :yayswitch::switch:

Last edited by EaterComputer,

EaterComputer

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for this just a question what is the difference between the two different minecraft games , not the story ones
Minecraft Java is the original version. Minecraft bedrock version is based on C++ and is the version on Xbox, switch, and windows 10. Minecraft Nintendo switch edition is a specific console version of Minecraft which is no longer being sold.

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Awesome!

For using some resource packs (like Furnicraft), you need enable "Experimental Gameplay" in the world settings.
Also you need to add the the resource pack.
In the world settings below the 'Play' button (on the left side), there is a section 'Add-ons' with a button 'Resource packs'.
This takes you to a menu were you can add the resource pack to the 'active packs' by pressing the '+' button.
This was the only screenshot I could find :
https://ibb.co/Zgvrk2q

If it doesn't show up in the 'Availabl packs' then you've put it in the wrong location, wrong save file or restored the wrong save file.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

One more thing I noticed :
Checkpoint v3.6.0 is used for this manual but the Checkpoint I downloaded from the official github page was v3.1.0.
I found v3.6.0 on some other page. v3.1.0 just took a few seconds to make the savefile backup but v3.6.0 took quite a long time.
So I'm not sure if v3.1.0 works as expected.

Rya102396

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, I'm having an issue with adding in resource packs. My custom skin packs work perfectly, but not resource packs. If I use them in .mcpack format like GalaxyYT's tutorial said, they don't show up. If I use them in a folder like this one says, the game takes forever to load up then just crashes after the Mojang logo, before getting to the main menu. Double checked that I have everything in the right folder too, so no issue there.

EDIT: The crashing seems to have been because of too many packs. Got the game to load now by doing less of them, but they're still not showing up at all, even doing a single one at a time.

EDIT 2: And now I can't even get the game to load if I have any custom packs imported, just get a system freeze and need a hard reset/

Last edited by Rya102396,
D

Deleted User

Is it normal to have a white screen (usually for a minute) while booting Minecraft up? This always happens when I put resource packs in my backup and restore that save backup onto Minecraft.

doctordoom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ever since I updated Minecraft on the switch with mario mashup it just lags all the time. saves all the time too. Its like i put a block down and 30s later it shows up finally. Remove a block and 30s later its finally gone. How can I use this to fix that? Ive tried messing with the in game settings and nothing helps.

campbell0505

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Do I need to do this on the sysnand or emunand. I’m assuming I go on airplane mode for it. I haven’t hacked my switch properly yet (have only used hekate to launch LineageOS, to play GameCube, haven’t done stuff on Horizon OS) and only want to do this to get custom texture packs.

Last edited by campbell0505,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool