Hacking How To Install CFW on <4.5 WITHOUT DS Flashcart / Gateway

Gamerschoice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tutorial. I like to have several points of reference when doing something like this, and your video will be one of the points I use.

ryulejzzu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Can sombebody help me? I have tried to install cfw about 15 times and no matter what i do, it freezes, for example, i open navigator...it freezes.. i push power button, it freezes, sometimes it was worse, the bottom screen didnt flash white, it stands white and i have to reboot.

I though it was a bad SD card but i tried with another one and its the same and in fact it has the same bugs.

I have a downgraded 4.2 3ds, it works flawlessly except for two things: this cfw problem and the fact that it doesnt recognize my r4itt that is comptible even with 9.4 :S and it is not the r4, i tried it in my ds lite and it worked well.

I hope that you can help me, what if i upgrade (i have my nand backup) and then owngrade again? Becaus its not normal, i did this process with my cousin's 3ds and it worked well, and his was a downgraded 3ds too.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
question: why isnt compatible with the new 3ds ? what is missing to make it compatible? if you need someone to test stuff let me know! i have a N3DS XL 9.0.0-20 U.
Thanks.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
question: why isnt compatible with the new 3ds ? what is missing to make it compatible? if you need someone to test stuff let me know! i have a N3DS XL 9.0.0-20 U.
Thanks.

If you're asking why the leaked "CFW" isn't compatible with the New 3DS, there are a number of reasons: you can't downgrade the N3DS to 4.x, the CFW doesn't work on anything higher than 4.5 (even on the old 3DSes), and nobody is working on updating this CFW that we know of, publicly (there are multiple private projects going on, but none of us here know if any of them will ever be released). Other reasons include the exploit used to launch this CFW was patched completely by 7.x, and from what I understand, the N3DS has an additional layer of security on the ARM9 stuff that doesn't exist on the old 3DS, so that would have to be defeated as well (I'm sure it's been broken privately, but you may as well just pretend it hasn't at this point).

Reactions: Margen67

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, im TOTALLY NEW, to the 3ds scene, but been reading for days, now, lets say i have a 4.x console, and i want to patch it with this CFW, i will be able to install CIA files using DevMenu/BigBlueMenu, however, im guessing newer games use new or higher nand features like the 9.x ones.

Is there a way to install this CFW on a 4.X console, and Update the EmuNand to 9.x or just a way to play new releases on the 4.x nand?

Also, is there any List of games that are under 4.5 that will work with this method?

oogawooga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same problem, I replaced Luncher.dat with Launcher_GW.dat (which is located in Palantine+CFW.zip/Sd card, whic you can download from this topic
[Tutorial] 4.5 SysNAND + 4.5 CFW + 9.4 EmuNAND without Gateway)
Renamed it to Luncher.dat and did the last steps and after crashing for 3 times finally it worked.
but as I'm really new in this 3ds cfw thing, I don't have any clue if it is CFW or FW.

hop it will help someone

thanks alot mate this actually fixed the error
also shout out to DarkFlare69 your steb 33b fixed the freezing problem i had with L that i was stuck on for centuries

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're asking why the leaked "CFW" isn't compatible with the New 3DS, there are a number of reasons: you can't downgrade the N3DS to 4.x, the CFW doesn't work on anything higher than 4.5 (even on the old 3DSes), and nobody is working on updating this CFW that we know of, publicly (there are multiple private projects going on, but none of us here know if any of them will ever be released). Other reasons include the exploit used to launch this CFW was patched completely by 7.x, and from what I understand, the N3DS has an additional layer of security on the ARM9 stuff that doesn't exist on the old 3DS, so that would have to be defeated as well (I'm sure it's been broken privately, but you may as well just pretend it hasn't at this point).

thanks for the reply!
yah that, i kiinda figured it out..but what i'm actually woundering is why the N3DS cannot be downgraded? i mean: why cant we downgrade the N3DS fw with a micro SD like we can with the original 3ds with a SD ??..

..is there possibilities that it could one day, be downgraded with a microSD ?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
thanks for the reply!
yah that, i kiinda figured it out..but what i'm actually woundering is why the N3DS cannot be downgraded? i mean: why cant we downgrade the N3DS fw with a micro SD like we can with the original 3ds with a SD ??..

There are several reasons for not being able to downgrade the New 3DS to 4.x as well: The first being that the New 3DS never ran on 4.x (I think only old 3DSes and XLs that were on 6.x/7.x from the factory can be downgraded to 4.x, aka a version older than they shipped with; someone please correct me if I'm wrong!), and second, the New 3DS has a lot of new hardware, so even if you could downgrade it to 4.x, it wouldn't even boot the firmware, since none of the drivers the New 3DS would need would be there (think of it as if you tried to install Windows 95 on a Core i7 gaming PC today, there would pretty much be no drivers, and very few things would work right, if at all). Third, the hardware NAND pins to actually re-write your New 3DS's flash memory was only discovered a day or so ago, so up until now, nobody has had a chance to downgrade a New 3DS to any version, even one that's compatible. Fourth and finally, there is no public exploit for the New 3DS (XL) yet that would allow for such high access to the NAND (only Cubic Ninja is out, and that is limited to what 3DS games can do, and downgrading the NAND is not one of those things).

Edit, in response to your edit: I imagine once Gateway and [maybe] MT come out with their New 3DS hacks, then yeah, you can probably downgrade your New 3Ds via software, but like I said above, it won't be able to go down to 4.x.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ahh i see..it clears things up..thanks for the replies!
unrelated question: is it possible to edit the data in an amiibo? since the n3ds is compatible, could it be possible to inject an exploit or an old browser from the old 3ds, into the NFC chips to make it that when using the amiibo, it starts (or inject..) the exploit that would be in the amiibo?!..

IdahoNate153

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So when I try to boot into CFW it just crashes and doesn't boot, so I decided to try another guide and still had problems except this time I got stuck on just a Blue screen. I've made sure to Hold L when I try to load the exploit, I've tried re-installing it multiple times and nothing.

oogawooga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So when I try to boot into CFW it just crashes and doesn't boot, so I decided to try another guide and still had problems except this time I got stuck on just a Blue screen. I've made sure to Hold L when I try to load the exploit, I've tried re-installing it multiple times and nothing.
instead of holding L all the way through let go as soon as both top and bottom are grey

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks much for the tutorial, it helped me quite a bit getting this set up. too bad that certain elements of it are a little...well unstable, but it's awesome once it's all set up.

Reactions: Margen67

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: