How to install Android 8.1(LineageOS) to your Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by Sasori, Jul 28, 2019.

1. SaffronXL

SaffronXL The Grand Galactic Inquisitor

Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    Maybe, but first boot is always really slow. The black screen lasts a couple minutes.

Last edited by SaffronXL, Aug 8, 2019
  2. possessedlaptop

possessedlaptop Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2019
    Peru
    During my first boot the black screen kept there for about 35min till I forced it to shut down.
    Second time I got the Lineage animation after nearly 2 min.

3. AkGBA

AkGBA Nope

Feb 14, 2007
    France
    First boot is very long. Usually, the next ones are much shorter. If not, buy a faster card.

4. Fife Dawg

Fife Dawg Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    Thanks and it's working now. How do you transfer larger files, ROMS for example to the sd card as the whole card is now taken up with the Android install. I have downloaded Reicast from the play store but don't know how to transfer my BIOS and ROMS from my laptop to the Switch sd card?

5. possessedlaptop

possessedlaptop Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2019
    Peru
    You can tranfer through FTP there are a lot of free apps on play store, and on your PC you can choose from many.
    Personally I use Filezilla and works perfectly

6. Looter

Looter Member

Newcomer
    Dec 16, 2017
    Hungary
    HELP!

I installed gapps with TWRP but the switch does not turn on now nor can i initiate RCM mode.
    Tried to hold the power button for 15-30 sec long it does nothing.

Any idea?

Its almost like the system is completely dead. Ever since i initiated reboot after twrp. Cant enter RCM mode, nothing.

SOLVED: So apparently windows decided to not attach any device on the usb cable i was trying to hook up the console. Just for fun tried a different cable on a different usb port then it recognized the device and boot up...

Last edited by Looter, Aug 9, 2019
  7. Alex4nder001

Alex4nder001 Part-time thug

Jul 28, 2017
    United Kingdom
    I have a 128GB SD card, and I downloaded the 128GB image but there's only 2GB of space for all my Switch files. How can I shrink the Android internal memory partition and expand the FAT32 partition? I had like 80GB+ of Switch games and homebrew.

8. RHOPKINS13

RHOPKINS13 Geek

Jan 31, 2009
    United States
    It's a bit tricky, and a pain in the butt, but you can use GParted to do it. Here's a tutorial:
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/ni...evelopment/guide-resizing-partitions-t3955615

Baoulettes likes this.
  9. darkriku2000

darkriku2000 GBAtemp Regular

Apr 13, 2009
    United States
    Is there any way to get the nice looking (also button-friendly looking) nvidia shield tv interface that I see on videos about the nvidia shield? I don't know if that's just how the shield looks or it's a specific app or what but it looks more convenient to navigate

10. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    is gapps installation really supposed to take over 2 hours (its now at contacts)
    unfortunately, i took the stock version, and Im using a 32 gig sandisk extreme card

11. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Should have gone with pico, having said that no it shouldn't be that long.

12. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    yeah, i know that now, but no guide actually mentions anything specific in regards to this...
    this sucks, if i abort now, I'll have to etch again, don't i?

13. ganons

ganons GBAtemp Addict

Jun 12, 2005
    Dont think you can cancel during a flash

14. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    i shut down the system, etched the card overnight and now trying again with the pico one and even that takes like 30 minutes already.
    the card is genuine too, one of those red and gold sandisk extreme ones.

I've got another ultra card, guess I'll try with that too if it ends up being unusable with the other...

15. Clydefrosch

Clydefrosch GBAtemp Guru

Jan 2, 2009
    Germany
    ok, so after even the small gapps taking forever to install (i was down to ~20% battery by the time i got into android), it seems to be running ok from what I can tell. haven't tried any games yet, just what I really wanted this for, benchmarks for temperature testing, but I'm letting it charge now.

Last edited by Clydefrosch, Aug 17, 2019 at 1:17 PM
  16. annson24

annson24 The Patient One

May 5, 2016
    Philippines
    So based on my experience, apparently, HOS wouldn't be able to detect the sdcard after the android partition is created.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

17. darkriku2000

Apr 13, 2009
    United States
    Did anybody else have a problem where the switch stopped charging while running android? I know it won't show the charging indicator but usually the battery still goes up when I have the charger plugged in, the other day though I had it on the charger all day and the battery kept draining. Is this a known issue?

18. hugofthunder

hugofthunder Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    Philippines
    Why am I feeling so bad now?
    Hello, if I use SX OS does it mean I just need to boot Hekate first off SX OS then from there boot Android?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Maybe your charger is kaput or wasn't plugged properly at that time?

19. darkriku2000

Apr 13, 2009
    United States
    Double checked the charger and everything, it was working fine, it just didn't want to charge my switch for some reason.

As for your sx os question, that should work but I've heard that it can lead to some issues so I used a custom boot.dat to make the sx dongle boot into hekate instead of SX OS.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/turn-any-rcm-payload-into-boot-dat-for-usage-with-sx-pro.511052/

20. hugofthunder

hugofthunder Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2017
    Philippines
    Why am I feeling so bad now?
    What kind of issues? I'm fine with booting SX OS first then Hekate, then Android.