How to install Android 8.1(LineageOS) to your Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by Sasori, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    why would you pick a lower image than your SD card size?
    the image are meant for SD card size, not for "android image size".
    the remaining space is unformatted/unallocated so it can't be used.

if your card is 32GB, choose the image specifically created for "32GB SD Card", which contains a 31GB image.

if you want, you can resize the userdata partition using gparted to fill the rest of your SD card.

only 2GB even though you picked the 128GB image?
    The 2GB is the FAT32 partition, which is probably seen as "sdcard-ext". It's not your userdata space where the apk get installed to.

Android is 5GB, the rest of the image is the "userdata" partition size.
    the 16GB SD card image is actually 15GB (to fit the 16GB Sd card), contains 2GB FAT32, 5GB of android and 9GB or userdata.

128GB image contains : 2GB of FAT32, 5GB of android, 120GB of userdata partition to install apk.

if you want a bigger FAT32 partition, you can follow half of this guide : https://gbatemp.net/threads/setup-g...id-with-emummc-bigger-fat32-partition.544981/
    but it's for experimented users because it requires linux and write each partition one by one

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 4, 2019
  2. natron

natron Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 12, 2015
    United States
    Any fix for ps4 remote play it runs great but r2 and l2 stick games respond as they are pressed all the time

3. voxware

voxware Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2009
    United States
    so is there anything I should do with a 256gb card or can I not do this because there's not an image for that. I'd like it to take up as little space as possible.

4. SaffronXL

SaffronXL The Grand Galactic Inquisitor

Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    The 128GB image will work, you will only have access to half of your card's space, though.

5. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    *rolleyes*

There are several images meant for use with an sd card of that size. 256GB is not one of them yet.

The images then create a special boot table, and several partitions that are formated in 'linux only' (more or less, its easier to explain it that way | Android = linux kernel based) filesystems.

The largest of those serves as the "sdcard" that android sees - and will never be seen by any stock Windows, or MacOS PC, whatsoever. Thats the partition that 60+GB of empty space on the 64GB install image will end up at.

There also is a 2GB fat 32 partition, thats used to let you copy packages onto the SDcard via a PC - that also can be accessed in android or TWRP.
    That partition you could also quite easily install Lakka on.

You cant easily use an sdcard - to also use a CFW or Horizon on - because that would require a large fat32 (or exfat, but fat32 preferred) partition - which none of the installer packages give you.

If you edit the partition sizes on a conventional partition manager, it will overwrite the boot table, with a more conventional one - making the card unreadable for the switch. (Until you reflash- its not permanently broken.)

Editing the partition sizes manually - in a more granular approach is theoretically possible, but not streamlined for 'needs easy' users yet. Lets wait for a few releases - lets see how everything including a potential updating infrastracture, and possibly them changing the fileformat for their system partitions once more - pans out - and then _maybe_ attempt to create installations on one sdcard with trippleboot support.

What you'd like to have doesnt matter. (If you cant go the granular route of creating the partitions one after the other in linux, thats mentioned above.) For now get an extra 64GB (or lower (because of price)) sdcard, and use the 64GB package. Or whatever size you like - but use a seperate sd from your main switch sdcard.

Also if you plan on starting out with only your main sdcard - dont. Flashing the packages, will of course wipe everything thats on there.
    --

If you are proficient at using Linux - here is another person that got a trippleboot workin. ;) https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-onl...unand-and-android-on-the-same-sd-card.545208/ Fun. This one is with SXOS. ;)

Last edited by notimp, Aug 4, 2019
  6. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you can also pentaboot.
    with a card using this layout :
    a big FAT32 usable for switch (OFW/CFW/Emu), for example 160GB where you can install nsp, xci, homebrew, etc.
    Android (5GB)
    emuMMC (32GB)
    Linux L4T (2GB, or bigger), you might even consider creating another 2GB partition for swap.

you can launch :
    Horizon (stock/CFW)
    Horizon (emuMMC Atmosphère)
    Lakka
    Android
    Linux L4T

You can't (for now) : SXOS EmuMMC.
    because SXOS overwrite the GPT table, but it might be possible with a trick, depends how hekate/android/l4t are working.

you need to create each partition one by one and write each android's partition image one by one too, linux partition image, and if you have it MMC image too (or let hekate dump your MMC to partition).
    then, once the GPT table is created, you need to add the FAT32 (and emuMMC if you don't have an image to write yet) to MBR. there is a linux tool which does it, but personally I don't find it too hard or complicated to do it manually with hexeditor once you know how MBR table works.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/setup-g...id-with-emummc-bigger-fat32-partition.544981/, guide not written yet, only the video is available but it's a good one (except the first part where there's a partition size error but it's corrected on part2). be sure to watch it and understand it entirely before attempting to do the same.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 8, 2019
    MythicalData likes this.
  7. LucasM3

LucasM3 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2019
    Canada
    So it is not possible to use Android 4.1 on a patched switch with Deja Vu?

8. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    if you can launch RCM payloads (hekate) with pegaSwitch or PegaScape then it's possible.
    I don't know these exploit enough to answer, but I suppose pegascape let you run any RCM payload, just be careful and don't edit boot0 (briicme/autorcm) or write to system memory.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 7, 2019
  9. hellogbatemp

hellogbatemp Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2018
    France
    Hi,

I have a 720p TV and I think the display wants to come out in 1080p.
    . the display does not work (black and white, flicker)

can I force the 720p dock mode?

Last edited by hellogbatemp, Aug 7, 2019
  10. SaffronXL

SaffronXL The Grand Galactic Inquisitor

Nov 17, 2016
    United States
    hellogbatemp likes this.
  11. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2018
    United States
    I'm using the boot.img fix, the output is still upscaled to 1080p before being sent over hdmi so its unlikely to work.

Last edited by Rahkeesh, Aug 8, 2019
    SaffronXL and hellogbatemp like this.
  12. LucasM3

LucasM3 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 22, 2019
    Canada
    Yes, I did more research today and it is possible. I am glad. People said that if I buy a new switch in north america the max firmware will be 4.1 right now. Hopefully they will be right

13. hellogbatemp

hellogbatemp Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2018
    France
    Last edited by hellogbatemp, Aug 8, 2019
  14. possessedlaptop

possessedlaptop Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2019
    Peru
    Guys really weird question here, does this erases the Sysnand on Switch?, cus Hekate seems not to show the usual Lauch options as before.

15. AkGBA

AkGBA Nope

Feb 14, 2007
    France
    Nothing is erased / written on sysnand.
    Did you use another sdcard, as intended ? If yes, then Hekate's options you normally use are on your first sd.
    You have to know that Hekate's options are stored on the sd card. So if you create another sd card only for Android, you will not have your usual launch options in there.

16. possessedlaptop

possessedlaptop Member

Newcomer
    Jul 27, 2019
    Peru
    Thank you, I was a bit afraid, used another SD for this, just confirmed nothing happened.

17. Fife Dawg

Fife Dawg Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    I have flashed my 128gb sd card with Etcher but when it is finished the computer keeps prompting me to format the sd card. Any ideas on how to stop this? It won't let me transfer any files to the card unless i format it but that then deletes the android image.

18. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    you can try to unassign letters to unknown partition, from the device manager menu (where you see disk and their partitions).
    or there should be an option in windows to not ask to unknown format partition. but assigning letters is easier.
    do NOT delete the partition, only choose "unassign letter" or "assign letter" and click remove.

I'm sure there's a way to block this prompt permanently without removing the letter (only when trying to access it), but google fails me today.
    Maybe by disabling "autorun" or "autoplay" (disable all autoplay video option too!) on all connected drives ? so it doesn't try to access it at plug time, only if you manually try to access it?
    but some people says it didn't work for them, but maybe because they kept autoplay option enabled.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 8, 2019
  19. AkGBA

AkGBA Nope

Feb 14, 2007
    France
    Windows just wants you to format the ext4 partition. Don't do it. You can still transfer files to the fat32 partition.
    You'll be nagged everytime you put the sd card on Windows. But just cancel it.

20. Fife Dawg

Fife Dawg Member

Newcomer
    Sep 11, 2016
    Okay thanks, next question - I have Hekate running but when I hold volume + and select the android instal in the more config option I just get a black screen, am I missing something?

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted