How to install Android 8.1(LineageOS) to your Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by Sasori, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    we will need more information.
    What did you do so far? at which step does it stop working?
    when you try to mount system partition in twrp?

2. Sasori
    OP

Sasori GBAtemp Addict

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    Sounds like he's trying to mount the system in a PC?

If that's so the partition can only be viewed using Windows atm

Otherwise if it's in twrp he most likely skipped the step in which he needs to mount "system" manually

3. Shahaan

Shahaan Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2018
    South Africa
    South Africa,Durban
    Ok, I've been using this for awhile now and its all good. Except On games like GTA San Andreas, and seemingly anything ingame on Dolphin the analog sticks won't work. I have Portal and Mupen 64 and they work there. The analogs also work on the main menu in Dolphin, I can map them and everything but the sticks don't do anything in game. Also this only happens when I was playing Killer 7 (Dolphin) but when I clicked in the non-responsive analog sticks both of them moved the analog to the right despite me not mapping anything there. I already flashed a "Joy-Con fixer" someone reccomended I flash but it didn't help

Last edited by Shahaan, Jul 31, 2019
    abilaunken likes this.
  4. abilaunken

abilaunken Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 30, 2009
    Brazil
    Nice dude, you do exactly what im interest about. Now you should go down the route of testing, flashing the shieldfier.zip, and use the shield gamestore.
    I read at the xda that halflife/portal works with joycon, but you have to sync before open the games.
    If you can put some vids on youtube too, we can apreciate your work about this matters.

5. hellogbatemp

hellogbatemp Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2018
    France
    does not work with a sandisk 64gb class 10. the system is slow, I can't not do anything

6. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    For what it's worth, that's exactly the one I've been using with no issues. The red and silver one. That being said, it could just be the whole thing being picky, I've seen people talking about issues I've never seen anything on lol

CarefulCrysis and wicksand420 like this.
  7. hellogbatemp

hellogbatemp Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2018
    France
    My sd card is grey and white it's maybe for that.

8. Shahaan

Shahaan Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2018
    South Africa
    South Africa,Durban
    I already had Shieldifier, I only have Portal at the moment, but that game in particular already had no problems working with the Joy-Cons, Record I might be able to do, except they would be a minute long at most on my older phone

9. AkGBA

AkGBA Nope

Feb 14, 2007
    France
    Yep, switching from a class 10 to a U3 v30 card made LineageOS run so much faster for me.

And remember to reboot after the initial setup. The first boot is so long compared to after.

10. Unity150_magickavoxel

Unity150_magickavoxel Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 6, 2018
    Canada
    Anyway to extend memory? I have 256gb microsd choose the 128gb image only have 2gb accessible and all of the options are grayed out in disk management.

11. gegeor

gegeor Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    France
    Hi,

Many thanks for this tutorial. Got a little bit of a problem though..

Once I flashed my 128go mini sd card with Etcher, I don't seem to be able to access the content of the card anymore ; it says that "the card cannot be read" which means that I cannot go on with the next steps : (

First think I should say, I'm on Mac...

• Does anyone has the same problem as me?
    • Is there a special way to do the process on a mac ? Cause I didn't find any specific tutorial just yet..

12. Sasori
    OP

Sasori GBAtemp Addict

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    You need to use a Windows VM or PC to access the partition

This is a known issue with OSX and Linux currently

gegeor likes this.
  13. Shahaan

Shahaan Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2018
    South Africa
    South Africa,Durban
    Y'know I'm just here to say: Holy fuck, I'm honestly shocked. I know the state of Dolphin is pretty good on switch right now , most games are playable but fall below the target framerate. I mention how I played Killer7 and yeah, its a stable 30fps as intended, I was already pretty impressed. I decided to screw around with the settings, I believe it was something like this: 2x internal resolution, 2x anti-aliasing, FFXA, per pixel lighting, 2x Anisotropic filtering and a widescreen hack. I was doing this just to see how much the game tanked. I was floored, the game still ran at a perfectly stable 30fps

14. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Many people forget that it is the first BETA. Yes, it will get better and better in times. Remember, many people don't bother to read the details! All they can do is whiners all the time, lol. :)

Last edited by azoreseuropa, Aug 1, 2019
  15. oBluEx

oBluEx Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2013
    United States
    Sylvania, Ohio
    I've been using this for DS emulation. It's really good! I can play Castlevania perfectly.

I have shieldifier installed from TWRP. I know how it all works, but the Nvidia Games app just crashes. I can't open it. I've downloaded Apk+data files of games that only work with Shield and it works through the apk.

But I'd rather play it from Nvidia Games app. You think it's because I don't have magisk?

16. Katlin

Katlin Member

Newcomer
    Sep 3, 2017
    United States
    Louisville
    Does anyone know if you can run viper4android on the switch?

Last edited by Katlin, Aug 3, 2019
  17. gegeor

gegeor Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 1, 2019
    France
    Ok so that's a Windows only procedure. I'll get my hand on an OS, can't wait to try it out : )

18. Cryzzgrantham

Cryzzgrantham Member

Newcomer
    Sep 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    i cant see a way to install twrp, it never nagged when installed zip's. how else can i do it? the post says manually installing it but i cant find a way to do that.

Also i have magisk, there was no link to the xda link so i grabbed v19.3.zip, i think thats correct? installed the zip and opened magisk manager, i see 2 green checks next to things being updated but nothing else?

Last edited by Cryzzgrantham, Aug 3, 2019
  19. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    if the next step you can't do on OSX is "put the zip package on a partition to install with TWRP", then I saw a video where the user did it directly from LineageOS !

Boot your android, setup internet/wifi, launch the browser and download needed files.
    then, reboot to TWRP, mount the partitions and load the zip from the download folder. If you really need a video tutorial, it's on page 2 of the release thread.

Last edited by Cyan, Aug 4, 2019
  20. Baoulettes

Baoulettes The lonely man

May 25, 2011
    France
    C:\Users\Baoulettes\Desktop\GBATemp
    Same question, I used a 32gb sd card and choosen 16gb as image but I end up without my remaining gb, :X

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted