How to install Android 8.1(LineageOS) to your Nintendo Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Tutorials' started by Sasori, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Paiuand

Paiuand GBAtemp Fan

Aug 24, 2015
    Iraq
    I actually got it working using magisk but now everytime i go into a match it kicks me out bc of lag or vpn or idk, doesnt seem playable

2. essm1988

essm1988 Member

Newcomer
    May 9, 2019
    Italy
    You can get a streaming app to play any pc games anywhere

Just install parsec at android and pc

I have played ps2 games by pcsx2 emulator currently

Last edited by essm1988, Jul 29, 2019
  3. hiroakihsu

hiroakihsu SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD

Aug 10, 2003
    United States
    On the edge of my seat
    Guys I just followed this tutorial to the letter using a 128GB Sandisk Ultra class-I microSD...When I finally booted into LineageOS/Android everything just started to become really slow so I forced shutdown by holding switch power button for 15 seconds...I then tried to reformat my microSD on my PC and now the card seems to have become corrupted and unreadable...Tried reformatting the card several times but still couldn't bring it back alive; I don't know what to do at this point.

Last edited by hiroakihsu, Jul 30, 2019
  4. Patrick327

Patrick327 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2018
    United States
    My problem is that for some reason I didn't have the google play store, so I had to reformat my card, now once I finish flashing and eject the card and put it back in, it doesn't detect the other partition and it says I need to reformat my card.

5. Shahaan

Shahaan Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2018
    South Africa
    South Africa,Durban
    Just came back to say, what the hell? I have access to all the partitions now, it might be because of root or TWRP or something. Aslo came to report that holy crap Portal runs awesome on this

6. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    if you don't have access to playstore, it means you didn't (or it failed to) install gapp package.
    once you are inside android on switch, you can use the browser to download gapp and magisk, it'll go to your download folder on SD card.
    then reboot to TWRP and pick the gapp zip from your switch. no need to use a computer to put package on SD (but you can if you prefer)

I never played portal, it could be interesting.
    are all these games free? or I have to "find" apk? or is it from Steam?
    I never played games on my phone, I have no idea which games exists.

Last edited by Cyan, Jul 30, 2019
  7. Patrick327

Patrick327 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2018
    United States
    Maybe these images will help illustrate my problem, I cannot seem to find the other partition that it says it automatically creates when it flashes the image, I can't get into android at all because it's not even on my SD card.

Attached Files:

8. Shahaan

Shahaan Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2018
    South Africa
    South Africa,Durban
    Portal exists on the Nvidia games thing alongside Portal 2, and the 2 half-life games aswell, I'm not sure what else is on there. But These also require that you have a shield TV to download, and you need a controller (the joy-cons work) for them, you will have to find an apk though

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also, the files I transferred between my laptop and MicroSD card won't show up on the switch, it is the correct android partition, so if someone could tell me how to possibly make them appear. That would be great

Cyan likes this.
  9. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    the other partitions are not formatted with a recognizable format for windows.
    only the FAT32 partition (first on the SD) can be read.

Maybe the FAT32 partition is not properly detected by your OS because it's a linux created FAT, your maybe it doesn't like the SD card to have a GPT partition instead of MBR.
    You could check in the device manager, see if the first partition has an assigned letter (E for example), instead of assigned to a non FAT partition (android).
    From your pictures, only one of the partition are detected and assigned a letter, maybe not the correct one. Windows only list drives with assigned lettered partition.

But you should be able to boot android, and use the android browser to get the needed files to your SD's FAT partition.

10. Patrick327

Patrick327 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2018
    United States
    I formatted it in exFAT I think, it's now formatted in FAT, FAT32 isn't an option but I can see if I can find a program that will format the SD card in FAT32

11. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    don't format it yourself.
    you should write the image to SD which will generate all needed partitions and data on it, and use the format it's being set to.
    if it's not seen by windows, I only suggested to check the "assigned letters" to the FAT partition generated by the image, I didn't suggest to format any of the partitions.

if it's not seen by windows, it's not a problem at all.
    boot your current SD on switch, you'll be inside android but without appstore access.
    connect to internet (you'll probably have to setup the network settings first), then use the browser to download gapp's ARM, 8.1, Pico.
    reboot to TWRP and install gapp to get appstore working.

12. Shahaan

Shahaan Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2018
    South Africa
    South Africa,Durban
    What do you mean by Android browser, I only have the files app. Even the files that I deleted while I was on my laptop were still there for some reason, I should double check.

13. Shahaan

Shahaan Member

Newcomer
    Dec 29, 2018
    South Africa
    South Africa,Durban
    Hey... the files i transferred Disappeared, well there goes 6 gigabytes down the drain

Last edited by Shahaan, Jul 30, 2019
  14. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    there's only a single app? file app?
    I guess all video tutorial are really bad, it's the one on page2 of the main thread I watched.
    https://gbatemp.net/posts/8732806
    the desktop is not the one from the switch? you don't have these apps already installed?

The user obviously created the tutorial AFTER installing gapps, because at the beginning of the video he already has magisk, portal, etc.
    but I only guessed that he just showed how to do it (overwriting his installed apps without consequences).

15. Sasori
    OP

Sasori GBAtemp Addict

Jan 28, 2015
    United States
    You need to use an application like SD Card formatter to format the card properly for use again

hiroakihsu likes this.
  16. hiroakihsu

hiroakihsu SUPREME LURKER OF THE WORLD

Aug 10, 2003
    United States
    On the edge of my seat
    Wow...That just WORKED!!! Thx a ton!!

Edit: Also finally figured out why android was running really slow on my previous attempt...turns out my 128GB card's speed was too low...Tried again with another faster-speed microsd and now it's working perfectly.

Last edited by hiroakihsu, Jul 30, 2019
  17. Patrick327

Patrick327 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 26, 2018
    United States
    I have a 128 gb SD card, my question is, is it required that I download that 128 gb ROM file, or can I use a lower one like 16 GB? If I go with the one that corresponds to my SD card, then won't I only have like 2 or 3 GBs of space left? Doesn't seem like very much for games.

18. AkGBA

AkGBA Nope

Feb 14, 2007
    France
    Each img uses 8 GB for system, and 2 GB for the fat32 partition. The rest is free space for Android.
    So yes you can use a smaller img than your sd size, the you will have as much free space as the img you chose.
    (16 GB img : 6 GB free space; 32 GB img : 22 GB free space, and so on...)

19. Cyan

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    if you put 16GB on a 128GB card, you won't have 112 of free space for games, you'll have 112GB of wasted unusable space.
    the userspace partition where you put games, where apk installs to, is part of the 16GB image.

All images contains 7GB of android, the rest is your userspace partition.
    The 16GB image contains 7GB of android partitions, and 9GB of usable space for your files/games/data/etc. (it might already contains some files on it, so it's not really 9GB free)
    You also have 2GB of FAT32 (I suppose seen as "sdcard-ext" mount point)

Last edited by Cyan, Jul 31, 2019
  20. redcat2401

redcat2401 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2018
    Australia
    Can anyone help me, when I try mounting, nothing happens, it wont tick and it says 0MB. It's been pissing me off for the last hour but nothing is working.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted