How to I get newer games to work?

Discussion in 'DSTT' started by Smash Br0, Aug 5, 2010.

Aug 5, 2010
  1. Smash Br0
    OP

Member Smash Br0 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've had my DSTT for a while now, but I still haven't figured out how to get some games - mostly newer ones, like M&L: BIS - to work. I've read a little about YSMenu, but I don't understand... And there's something about replacing "infolib" and two other files occasionally?

I'm sorry if this is a really n00bish question, but I'm really cautious when it comes to updating things like this. I've been searching/browsing the forums, but I'd like to have someone, well, spell it out for me just to be safe. >_>

Thanks very much for any help!

2. retrogamefan

Member retrogamefan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    Download the DSTT unofficial 1.17a12 firmware from our thread here - http://gbatemp.net/t218024-updated-ysmenu-...t&p=2715727. It is has the latest extinfo, infolib, savlib and usrcheat updates for the best game compatibility currently and also includes. Keep an eye out on our thread for the further updates too and have a good read of mine and Pongs thread [​IMG].

Extract all the firmware files to your PC and then copy them all the the root of your SD card, overwriting the files you currently have.

3. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    Thanks, the newer games are working now! Except for Mario vs. DK 2: MotM... It freezes during the intro movie or when you try to load a level.

BTW, is it recommended to use YSMenu over the official DSTT menu? I read the compatibility was worse for YSMenu.

4. retrogamefan

Antarctica
    Are you using the unofficial 1.17a12 firmware from the front page of Pongs & my thread? It has far better compatibilty than the crappy official firmware....

Well, I use YSMenu as my firmware because I personally think it is better than TTMenu but I also keep TTMenu on my SD card to use as a secondary firmware. To the best of my knowledge there is now only 1 game that works in TTMenu which won't load in YSMenu and that is 0414 - My Pet Hotel (E).

I have just loaded 0573 - Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2 - March of the Minis (U) in YSMenu and it is working fine...it doesn't freeze during any of the beginning animations of when you load a level...Are you using the (U) version?

5. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    "Are you using the unofficial 1.17a12 firmware from the front page of Pongs & my thread? It has far better compatibilty than the crappy official firmware...."

Yes, I'm using 1.17a12 - the one you linked me to a few posts up. [​IMG]

"Well, I use YSMenu as my firmware because I personally think it is better than TTMenu but I also keep TTMenu on my SD card to use as a secondary firmware. To the best of my knowledge there is now only 1 game that works in TTMenu which won't load in YSMenu and that is 0414 - My Pet Hotel (E)."

YSMenu sounds good, I'll be looking into installing it ASAP. But, how do you keep the TTMenu as a secondary firmware? I didn't know you could run multiple firmwares. o_o

On that note, is Moonshell still useful? I read it's no longer updated, but it has some nice features... Such as a notepad that can actually LOAD text files!

On that note, what do you think is the best text writer app for the DS? I'm currently using TextDS2 to read text files (and it works great), but DSe Notepad just isn't cutting it for saving and loading text files... Isn't there a writer that can save and load properly, and has a nice interface?

One more thing regarding apps: What's the best program to use for backing up / restoring GBA saves and DS saves? I've downloaded a few, but haven't tested any yet.

"I have just loaded 0573 - Mario Vs Donkey Kong 2 - March of the Minis (U) in YSMenu and it is working fine...it doesn't freeze during any of the beginning animations of when you load a level...Are you using the (U) version?"

It's the (U) version, but it's pretty old. Maybe a newer version will work.

P.S.: ONE more thing! I've got a 8GB card - is there a limit of how many games / apps I should have on it at once?

6. retrogamefan

Antarctica
    To install YSMenu as you primary firmware and TTMenu as your secondary firmware, check out my installation guide here : http://gbatemp.net/t227495-ysmenu-ttmenu-s...t&p=2838980.

Well, I personally only use Moonshell as a media player, nothing else...

Unfortunately, I can't offer you any advice on text reader/writers for the DS as I have never used one.

As for backing up/restoring GBA & DS saves, create a folder on your PC specifically for your saves and update them regularly. Simple and effective.

Fragmentation on an SD card is a common problem for people who are experiencing problems within working games. Also, non-genuine SD cards cause many such issues due to there poor read/write speeds.

7. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    To install YSMenu as you primary firmware and TTMenu as your secondary firmware, check out my installation guide here : http://gbatemp.net/t227495-ysmenu-ttmenu-s...t&p=2838980.

Thanks, I'll read that.

Well, I personally only use Moonshell as a media player, nothing else...

Can it be launched like any other app, or is it more like a firmware?

Unfortunately, I can't offer you any advice on text reader/writers for the DS as I have never used one.

Doesn't Moonshell have a text editor built in?

As for backing up/restoring GBA & DS saves, create a folder on your PC specifically for your saves and update them regularly. Simple and effective.

Right, I know that. Which of these apps would you recommend for backing up / restoring game saves?

DUMP.NDS
    eepinator.nds
    GBA_Backup_Tool.nds
    SGBAD.nds

I've got those four, but I don't know which is best... Or much about them at all, really.

Fragmentation on an SD card is a common problem for people who are experiencing problems within working games. Also, non-genuine SD cards cause many such issues due to there poor read/write speeds.

My MicroSD card is a 8GB Transcend, and has given me no trouble since I formatted it with the Panasonic formatter. Mario vs. DK is the only game that doesn't work now, but it's probably just corrupted or something.

8. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    No answer? Anyhow, I've got another small problem:

Warioware: D.I.Y. freezes if I try to download a file from Nintendo WFC. It works fine otherwise. Is there any way to fix this?

9. Kane91z

Kane91z Newbie

that is because of your micro sd card - it seems most over 2 gigs have that problem

10. Smash Br0
    OP

United States
    Okay, thanks for the answer.