How to I export Goomba color saves?

Discussion in 'GBA - Emulation' started by rubsnick, Apr 10, 2009.

Apr 10, 2009
  1. rubsnick
    OP

Newcomer rubsnick Advanced Member

Puerto Rico
    I use my PSP, DS alot and now tha tI have a gameboy micro I'm going to use that thing also. I know of Lameboy and The emulator for the PSP but I need to get the save files from these systems into the gameboy micro and viceversa. is this at all possible? If so how do I do this?

2. DanTheManMS

Member DanTheManMS aka Ricochet Otter

United States
    Here are some instructions for managing the save files from a Goomba Color compilation.

http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/How_to_exchan...mulators_and_PC

The basic idea is that Goomba Color compressed the game's SRAM to save space, so in order to dump it from your compilation, you first load the game which load the uncompressed save into memory and then dump the appropriate section of memory with VBA. You can inject your save data into a Goomba Color compilation the reverse way, first renaming your *.sav file to *.dmp and then loading it into the right location in memory while the game in question is loaded. It sounds complicated, but it's really not that bad.

3. rubsnick
    OP

Puerto Rico
    I think I get it I don't understand the following steps tough.

Load the SRAM from the flashcart save

They mean the save that the compilation made? So it woould be the goomba.sav that my flashcart made right?

For Goomba: Use address = 02038000 and Length = 8000

They mean that from there to there is the save? Or what? This one is a bit confusing. Other then that I think I understand it completly. (I'm not a n00b or anything I'm very experienced with the PSP and Wii XP)

4. DanTheManMS

United States
    Right, they mean to take the *.sav file from your flash cart and either import it in VBA's file menu or just rename it to the same as the compilation's *.gba file so VBA loads it automatically. Once you open the compilation in VBA and choose the game to play (making sure your save progress is correctly loaded), you open up the memory viewer from VBA's Tools menu. You use the memory viewer's "dump" function and it will ask you for two values. The first value will be 2038000 and the second will be 8000. Save it as whatever you want - this is the save data for the GBC game that's currently loaded. Just rename it to the name of your GBC game, open up the GBC game in VBA, and make sure your save data is still there. This save file can then be used in Lameboy or on your PSP or whatever.

If you're trying to inject the save file into your Goomba Color compilation, then when you use the memory viewer it will select the size for you, so you just have to input the 2038000 value. The only reason you need to rename it to end in .dmp first is because that's the only type of file VBA will look for in the "Browse Files" dialog box when attempting to restore the memory dump.

5. rubsnick
    OP

Puerto Rico
    Thank you very much. ^^ I finally understand it.

6. DanTheManMS

United States
    No problem, let us know if you get stuck anywhere else along the line.