How to homebrew Videos games

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by nathenlieu, Sep 10, 2007.

1. nathenlieu
    OP

nathenlieu Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2007
    United States
    can some tell me how to homebrew video games. if its hard and confusing i still wanna give it a shot

2. nathenlieu
    OP

nathenlieu Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2007
    United States
    and can someone tell me how to make the homebrew game zelda ds work on my r4ds

3. mattchase00

mattchase00 Member

Newcomer
    Apr 6, 2007
    United States
    Well as im just learning myself... the best place to start is:

get yourself a good book on c / c++ programming language book / class and get familiar with programming in general before you start

then check out this site.... which has everything you need to know on how to put together a ds game, or applications!
    http://www.palib.info/wiki/doku.php

4. Linkiboy

Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

May 14, 2006
    United States
    I started with C / C++ as my first language... It didn't work too well. Now I'm ok with it.

Sure you'll be able to make a few apps with C, but unless you know why it works, you wont get far.

Start with Python programming, infact I think someone wrote a Python interpreter for the DS...

Also, you're not going to make Kingdom Hearts for DS.

5. nathenlieu
    OP

nathenlieu Member

Newcomer
    Aug 11, 2007
    United States
    I could try and its not like a PS2 it probobly gonna be the story line on KH2 but gameplay would be like chain of memories

6. HellShade

HellShade GBAtemp Regular

Jul 13, 2007
    Canada
    Have you had any sort of experience in programming before?

Because, if not, this type of project might be a bit too ambitious for you.

7. hankchill

hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Nov 5, 2005
    Canada
    Outer Space
    Yes, I think you're a *bit* too ambitious on this one.

A one man team cannot design a 'Kingdom Hearts' game. Not only would it take you years, but you have no idea about programming and everything that goes with it -- You'd need to do the art, music, design, programming, etc. I've made some *small* games, and those even take months. And I didn't start by saying 'I'm gonna make a game!', I started by doing very small projects to get myself accustomed to a language.

I think you need to start with 'Hello World' [​IMG]

8. leetdude_007

leetdude_007 Official GBAtemp Assassin That Has Never Killed An

Nov 25, 2006
    United States
    It's called computer science for many good reasons. Practice for several years and show us your world. Good luck!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice