Tutorial  Updated

How to: Hekate chainload vanilla Atmos

Hi everyone!

I noticed lots of people are very confused how they should update their patches... Kosmos patches? Hekate Patches?! Atmos patches?!

As asked by some users, here you have my set up and this simplifies everything.

This is very simple tutorial on how to boot Vanilla Atmosphere via Hekate and use the Normal patches from the new thread from our friend @Raugo.
You just need to do this once. Everytime a new release is out, you just need to update Atmos files + your patches from Here

Note:
This new patches thread replaces the no-more-updated old thread well known as "Sweet Patches".

First, lets understand:

1. Hekate comes with this folder structure:

SD:\bootloader this folder have 4 sub-folders and no files.

2. The 4 sub-folders are:

SD:\bootloader\ini this folder is empty
SD:\bootloader\payloads this folder is empty
SD:\bootloader\res this folder have the default icons (resources)
SD:\bootloader\sys this folder have system files (don't mess with them!)

Then, lets configure Hekate to boot vanilla Atmosphere (+ Normal patches) and forget about those Hekate/Kosmos patches:

1. Let's create the main configuration file:

Create a new file hekate_ipl.ini inside bootloader folder:

SD:\bootloader\hekate_ipl.ini

Note:
If you are a Windows user, be careful with the extension of the file. Google "how to view extensions for know file types".

2. Inside this file you can copy/paste this text:

[config]
autoboot=1
autoboot_list=0
bootwait=3
verification=1
backlight=100
autohosoff=0
autonogc=1

{------- Launch -------}
[Atmosphere]
payload=bootloader/payloads/fusee-primary.bin
icon=bootloader/res/icon_atmosphere.bmp

[Horizon]
fss0=atmosphere/fusee-secondary.bin
stock=1
icon=bootloader/res/icon_horizon.bmp

3. Then, you just need to put fusee-primary.bin inside payloads folder like this:

SD:\bootloader\payloads\fusee-primary.bin

4. You can create your own customized icon for Atmosphere and Horizon and put them on the res folder like this (You will have to learn how to create this BMP files or use the default ones, renaiming their names):

SD:\bootloader\res\icon_atmosphere.bmp
SD:\bootloader\res\icon_horizon.bmp

5. You can also create your own bootloader screen and put it here (You will have to learn how to create this BMP file):

SD:\bootloader\bootlogo.bmp

And that's it! This simple configuration will let you:

inject Hekate ----> See your custom bootlogo ----> Boot Vanilla Atmos + Normal Patches

and forget about Kosmos/Hekate patches!

If you press Vol - button while injecting, you can go to Hekate menu and check you configurations.
You can boot Atmosphere and Horizon.

Feel free to ask your questions.

Last edited by toxic9,

claussm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nice write-up! I use this exact configuration but I had to figure it out with lots of fragmented info from here and Reddit so great that it's in one place now!

One correction: I think to interrupt autoboot and jump into hekate it's "Vol -" not "+/-" while your splash is up.

Reactions: KeoniAzugon

toxic9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Nice write-up! I use this exact configuration but I had to figure it out with lots of fragmented info from here and Reddit so great that it's in one place now!

One correction: I think to interrupt autoboot and jump into hekate it's "Vol -" not "+/-" while your splash is up.

Thanks! Corrected!
In a next time I can upload my BMP files if our friends can't find the way to create them. It's not very easy, as the are not common bmp files.

I can also add an extra feature for adding an extra payload (and icon) like LockpickRCM to this setup.

Reactions: Tyvar1

Tyvar1

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Thanks! Corrected!
In a next time I can upload my BMP files if our friends can't find the way to create them. It's not very easy, as the are not common bmp files.

I can also add an extra feature for adding an extra payload (and icon) like LockpickRCM to this setup.
Yes please, that would be amazing! :bow:

Mrperson0

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you know if it's possible to create an extra bootloader on the .ini file so you can load sysNAND through fusee-primary? I tried adding "emummc_force_disable=1" below and above fusee-primary.bin, but it seems it still loads emuMMC.

Edit: Apparently not possible since hekate can't write to the sd on every boot. Ah well, guess I'll just use fusee-secondary for that.

Last edited by Mrperson0,

C7XL

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To reboot into Hekate from Atmosphere you could install Payload_Launcher from HB store.

This will let you reboot to any payload in a folder that you select, even map the payload to atmosphere reboot_to_payload function.

Regards.

What I usually do when updating is replacing the "reboot_payload.bin" inside /atmosphere folder with hekate's own .bin file. That works too.

Reactions: Broduskii and f0li0

MattKimura

3DS & WiiU Enthusiast
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the difference of booting fusee-primary from rcm vs booting it via Hekate? In my setup I just simply use fusee-primary alone, though Im a banned user so I don't use emuMMC. So this setup isn't particularly useful for users like myself. But for my friends who I setup emuMMC with, it does help to use Hekate for everything.

Since you're using Hekate, you should add to the post that it's convenient to have reboot_payload as Hekate's bin file. This way it's as simple as rebooting the system to get back to Hekate to swap between sysNAND and emuMMC without injecting a payload from rcm.

Last edited by MattKimura,
Reactions: Broduskii

toxic9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
What's the difference of booting fusee-primary from rcm vs booting it via Hekate? In my setup I just simply use fusee-primary alone, though Im a banned user so I don't use emuMMC. So this setup isn't particularly useful for users like myself. But for my friends who I setup emuMMC with, it does help to use Hekate for everything.

Since you're using Hekate, you should add to the post that it's convenient to have reboot_payload as Hekate's bin file. This way it's as simple as rebooting the system to get back to Hekate to swap between sysNAND and emuMMC without injecting a payload from rcm.

Hekate and Atmosphere are a complement of each other.

On my setup, there is no difference booting fusee-primary alone or from Hekate,
because it makes Hekate to look as just a "bypass" to Atmosphere.

On some setups, Hekate changes the way Atmosphere is booted,
and so the big confusion on what patches should be used.

But you should not exclude Hekate from your setup, because it is a precious tool to backup/restore your NAND regularly.
I recommend doing a backup everytime you update your FW version and also when you make lots of changes on it, like installing/uninstalling a massive number of titles.

NicDirkDex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am using emummc. It still says I'm on 10.0.0. But when I boot switch normally, I'm on 10.0.1. How do I update emummc? My games work but I get the annoying message to update or start software. How do I fix this?

Last edited by NicDirkDex,

wisnumurti

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I tried using the tutorial above, but I got error such as
1. "Failed to apply 'nosigchk'! Failed to launch HOS! press any key

2. and a fatal error occurred when running atmosphere, Title ID: 690000000000000000d, Error Desc: Data abort (0x101)
Report saved to /atmosphere/fatal_errors/report_xxxxxxx.bin, please press Power to reboot

Does anyone know what problem I faced? Thanks

[Update]
I managed boot my switch but using atmosphere fork from Neutos. I don't know why I cannot boot using vanilla Atmosphere or kosmos. Previosly I using Atmosphere with patches for tinvoil version 8 and install incognito rcm.

Last edited by wisnumurti,

Corgano

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Using this setup I was able to get standard atmosphere running and run all my games - sweet
When i start tinfoil it complains about hekate being on my sd, even if it wasn't used to start atmosphere. Any idea how to get tinfoil to stop being a bitch about having hekate even when not used?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs